Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I don't know if this is an INTP trait, but I tend to have logical dreams. While many people describe their dreams as crazy, non-sense and dadaistic, mine usually make sense, have a plot, and even the craziness in it tend to have some explanation, like a movie. Things tend to follow logic, at least in some degree. So it seems even my subconscient is somewhat rational and logical.

Does that happen to any of you too? Or am I only weird? ;]

Reactions: krecik26

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not alone. Compared to most people, my dreams (in my opinion, at least) are structured well... even if they contain things that make little sense. Its like a great scriptwriter with a bad budget only could afford crappy and obscure actors. Take this with a grain of sodium, as I never can remember dreams well.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I'm not sure. My dreams just seem like regular experiences. My subconscious workings seem to indicate themselves through events, actions, and symbols in my dreams that express some underlying fear or irrational, primitive, animalistic desire I have. For instance, if I'm afraid of speaking in front of people, I'll have a dream I'm standing in front of a large audience being laughed at. Very basic psychological dreams.

But that's a 'normal' dream. Every so often, If I've been reading intellectual material all day, entirely absorbed in this stuff - like after having read some philosophy (in particular this has happened after having read Nietzsche's work) - my dreams will actually involve a sort of intellectual debate within my head. My dreams aren't really dreams, but instead these really odd, hardly intelligent right-brained and impressionistic dialogue exchanges between two sides of my psyche (it seems). One side will argue one thing and say, "No, and so and so!" and the other side will say, "But, this and such!" Perhaps it's Ne and Ti working while I'm sleeping. Largely, it's like my mind's just exercising natural intellectual gymnastics for fun while I'm sleeping, in a very devil's advocate style, where I'm playing both sides of an issue with my powerful imagination and creative thought.

One time, after having read Nietzsche all night, I had one of these dreams in a very potent way. I remember reasoning my way (through these back and forth sets of debate-like exchanges) to a really unconventional understanding of an issue that actually 'seemed' logical and coherent (as if I was actually logically reasoning the damn thing as if I was awake). Yet, I do remember that it was only partially logical, as if filtered from the more imaginative side of my brain in a pseudo-logical sort of way, where these impressions were playing around with the idea of logic, which makes me doubt whether or not they were really logical. But regardless, they seemed logical, and I remember waking up thinking, "YAHOO! EUREKA!" I had a very imaginative breakthrough -- a complete flash of brilliance and insight into whatever it was I was dreaming about -- and I was filled with excitement and intellectual ecstasy. But when I woke up, my memory of what exactly I had discovered and realized almost immediately vanished from my awareness, and I spent the next few hours of my morning trying to remember what it was. To this day, I still can't remember.......

But that's how I tend to dream: either in a very traditional way, where my fears and desires are expressing themselves through dream-fabric, or in this very odd internal style of deliberation, where my mind is creatively arguing with itself, a sort of solo style of dialectic synthesis.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure. My dreams just seem like regular experiences. My subconscious workings seem to indicate themselves through events, actions, and symbols in my dreams that express some underlying fear or irrational, primitive, animalistic desire I have. For instance, if I'm afraid of speaking in front of people, I'll have a dream I'm standing in front of a large audience being laughed at. Very basic psychological dreams.

But that's a 'normal' dream. Every so often, If I've been reading intellectual material all day, entirely absorbed in this stuff - like after having read some philosophy (in particular this has happened after having read Nietzsche's work) - my dreams will actually involve a sort of intellectual debate within my head. My dreams aren't really dreams, but instead these really odd, hardly intelligent right-brained and impressionistic dialogue exchanges between two sides of my psyche (it seems). One side will argue one thing and say, "No, and so and so!" and the other side will say, "But, this and such!" Perhaps it's Ne and Ti working while I'm sleeping. Largely, it's like my mind's just exercising natural intellectual gymnastics for fun while I'm sleeping, in a very devil's advocate style, where I'm playing both sides of an issue with my powerful imagination and creative thought.

One time, after having read Nietzsche all night, I had one of these dreams in a very potent way. I remember reasoning my way (through these back and forth sets of debate-like exchanges) to a really unconventional understanding of an issue that actually 'seemed' logical and coherent (as if I was actually logically reasoning the damn thing as if I was awake). Yet, I do remember that it was only partially logical, as if filtered from the more imaginative side of my brain in a pseudo-logical sort of way, where these impressions were playing around with the idea of logic, which makes me doubt whether or not they were really logical. But regardless, they seemed logical, and I remember waking up thinking, "YAHOO! EUREKA!" I had a very imaginative breakthrough -- a complete flash of brilliance and insight into whatever it was I was dreaming about -- and I was filled with excitement and intellectual ecstasy. But when I woke up, my memory of what exactly I had discovered and realized almost immediately vanished from my awareness, and I spent the next few hours of my morning trying to remember what it was. To this day, I still can't remember.......

But that's how I tend to dream: either in a very traditional way, where my fears and desires are expressing themselves through dream-fabric, or in this very odd internal style of deliberation, where my mind is creatively arguing with itself, a sort of solo style of dialectic synthesis.
Ah, that is very interesting. My dreams are mostly of the first type you described. But either way, in both cases your dreams seem pretty logical-based too, is it not?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
One time, after having read Nietzsche all night, I had one of these dreams in a very potent way. I remember reasoning my way (through these back and forth sets of debate-like exchanges) to a really unconventional understanding of an issue that actually 'seemed' logical and coherent (as if I was actually logically reasoning the damn thing as if I was awake). Yet, I do remember that it was only partially logical, as if filtered from the more imaginative side of my brain in a pseudo-logical sort of way, where these impressions were playing around with the idea of logic, which makes me doubt whether or not they were really logical. But regardless, they seemed logical, and I remember waking up thinking, "YAHOO! EUREKA!" I had a very imaginative breakthrough -- a complete flash of brilliance and insight into whatever it was I was dreaming about -- and I was filled with excitement and intellectual ecstasy. But when I woke up, my memory of what exactly I had discovered and realized almost immediately vanished from my awareness, and I spent the next few hours of my morning trying to remember what it was. To this day, I still can't remember......
This happened to me once, after thinking for hours (and some testing) about, strangely enough, effective mechanisms for making lego brick shooting weapons using lego bricks. Around 2:00 AM, I either fell asleep or drifted into a pseudo-awake state where I thought the entire thing through and came to a way to make said mechanism work in a small space. I woke up, and immediately repeated the idea a bunch of times out loud and in my head to try to memorize it. The idea stuck all through school that day, but when I got home, I forgot it.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
This happened to me once, after thinking for hours (and some testing) about, strangely enough, effective mechanisms for making lego brick shooting weapons using lego bricks. Around 2:00 AM, I either fell asleep or drifted into a pseudo-awake state where I thought the entire thing through and came to a way to make said mechanism work in a small space. I woke up, and immediately repeated the idea a bunch of times out loud and in my head to try to memorize it. The idea stuck all through school that day, but when I got home, I forgot it.
lol, that sucks. Sounds very similar to my situation.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
lol, that sucks. Sounds very similar to my situation.
Heh. After hours of trying to remember what I though of, I just decided to stop thinking about it and make a weapon. In 3 days, I had a working (although it didn't fire well, so "working" is misleading in a way) model.

And then, when I finished this, I suddenly remembered what I had dreamed that day. Needless to say, I felt like I wasted my time with the first model.

Since then, I have been working on and off on a much smaller model that is smaller and will probably work. If it doesn't, I will know what to make in my next model. Pretty much the normal problem solving cycle.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I experience vivid, long-lasting, movie-like, surrealistic dreams, viewing myself acting outside my body, while I am progressing in an epic adventure. There become numerous subtle purposes within the dream while I progress casually, developing my relationship with the characters, plotline, and surroundings.

I sometimes spot an inconsistency that completely changes the outcome of the dream. I then become lucid or develop the power to battle this inconsistency, or I find other clues, which help me to solve the logical problem of the dream. My dream world becomes so strange and realistic that when I wake up, I find myself still processing as I was in the dream, until I become aware of my surroundings.

Reactions: Ti Dominant

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG this happened to me so many times... to think of solutions for the problems in my dreams... and sometimes I keep them when I awake, but i have to note them down quickly, or I forget them...

And it is interesting, it does seem to be an INTP trait then, the logical dreams... this is very interesting, thanks for sharing, guys.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I experience vivid, long-lasting, movie-like, surrealistic dreams, viewing myself acting outside my body, while I am progressing in an epic adventure. There become numerous subtle purposes within the dream while I progress casually, developing my relationship with the characters, plotline, and surroundings.

I sometimes spot an inconsistency that completely changes the outcome of the dream. I then become lucid or develop the power to battle this inconsistency, or I find other clues, which help me to solve the logical problem of the dream. My dream world becomes so strange and realistic that when I wake up, I find myself still processing as I was in the dream, until I become aware of my surroundings.
Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about.. my dreams are long-lasting and logical, with a plot, like a movie... exactly like you described. And then when i find some logical inconsistency, it comes with something that explains it... and in it, the symbolisms are inserted, about the things that the dreams is supposed to "discuss", fear, desires, ideas... but always in this sort-of-logic way...

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I can rarely remember my dreams, but when I do, I can say that they make little sense. Or, I suppose they make sense structurally/independently, but they don't make sense in the realistic way. For instance, I once had a dream that I was going to go through some odd portal to another dimension/planet. I think was trying to get away from planet Earth as it had some Armageddon-ish feel to it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can rarely remember my dreams, but when I do, I can say that they make little sense. Or, I suppose they make sense structurally/independently, but they don't make sense in the realistic way. For instance, I once had a dream that I was going to go through some odd portal to another dimension/planet. I think was trying to get away from planet Earth as it had some Armageddon-ish feel to it.
I don't see any lack of logic in your dream... if I was living in the Armageddon and I could find a portal to take me away from it, I definitely would. This is exactly the type of movie-like dream we were talking about. It is not that my dreams are realistic, after all, the subconscious use these figures, like the portal, as symbolism to things/problems/situation we are trying to deal with and process. But your relation to it made sense and had an explanation, which is what I was referring to while explaining my dreams, they structurally make sense given the situation they portray.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Dream logic is different than conscious logic. I once dabbled with lucid dreaming. One technique to learn it is to get into the habit of observing your environment to look for things that aren't quite right. Dreams typically have illogical and/or fantastical elements. In a dream you might take it for granted that pigs can fly, but if you're observing then you realize that it is not possible and you are dreaming. Numbers and letters may be scrambled or disappear. Clocks don't work right.

I cannot read well in dreams. I'll read a sentence or two, but then the words fade away and I realize I'm making things up as I read. It is unsettling and annoying. But then one time after realizing that, I read a letter in a dream then told myself that I must not be dreaming since I could read. :mellow: And if you ever tell dream-people that you're dreaming, they always get offended or argue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts