Banned
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
473 Posts
Anyone studying philosophy?
Who is your favourite philosopher? Why?
I'm not an INTP, but I'll answer anyway because the topic is interesting.

I study philosophy, among other things. My favourite philosophers are:

1. Noam Chomsky.
2. Immanuel Kant.
3. Willard Quine.

Why? Chomsky has a superior understanding of the mind and of language. No better accounts have been given as far as I know. Kant offered the correct explanatory model for the origins of human knowledge. Quine brought the doctrine of empiricism to its ultimate conclusion. In doing so he inadvertently demonstrated why this doctrine is absurd and must be rejected, which is a great achievement.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I studied philosophy in college. David Hume is my favorite philosopher. I think it is because he is willing to reach conclusions he doesn't like. An unfortunate amount of people have a conclusion in mind when they start thinking, and then try to justify their conclusion. Hume lets the argument take him to the conclusion.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I studied philosophy heavily for a few years in my my late 20s to early 30s. Mostly classical, Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Buddhists, to more modern philosophers like Nietzsche, Don Miguel Ruiz and even Deepak Chopra. My final conclusion was there was some truths in most of what they all said, but like us all, they have flaws in reasoning, blind spots, and have some sort of bias in their leanings. I feel wiser for having read them, but would not go all in with any them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm a fickle lover and switch focus according to my current brand of existential crisis. Recently had a Heraclitus delve. Generally enjoy the Frankfurt Schule and phenomenology.

Do NOT enjoy philosophy of mind (I mean, it's very interesting, but the academic dicussion is a toxic cesspool where they all misconstrue each others arguments in order not to recognize they have categorical value differences), philosophy of language (someone kill me now)(I'm looking at you Wittgenstein).

In any case I wouldn't say I study philosophy, because then I'd probably stop enjoying it. It's one of the few things than can bring a semblance of sense to life so I seek it out as the need arises, like ramen and alcohol.

Also, great memes.

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cogito ergo, huhh??

·
Registered
185 Posts
I read all the classical works of LetMeThinkAboutIt. He always posed questions, challenging people to respond to his phenomenological riddles. Some say he was an eccentric: typing to the hum of a refrigerator, buying jars of pickles and leaving them under his bed, smelling lint balls. A mad man, really. Especially in his later period.

One other philosopher I enjoyed, especially in his post-modern deconstructionist phase, was Not That Guy. I mean, clearly, he was a guy. One guy. His profile always listed him as a male. Was he a guy who said he wasn't a guy in some strange paradox I couldn't understand or was he merely not the guy I was searching for? That inspired me to travel to India in search of a Guru. I slept on streets, rode on the roofs of old buses, hitched rides into the mountains. There was no guru there but the wind. It swept me into an existential whirlwind. I didn't know if everything was worthless or a mere illusion. I held a jagged rock to my temple, crying. Then my Wifi connection strengthened again.

·
Registered
29,055 Posts
I was once a philosopher. My favorites were Hume and Kant. Russell and Popper. All favorites, they all spoke a common language to me. It was simple and led to unusual conclusions that do not match our common sense. Philosophers that philosophize in order to create action, are really just non-elected politicians. There are so many schools of thought that rely on constructing some formula to justify some action or stir outcry. But they contribute nothing to understanding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts