Personality Cafe banner

INTP and Travel

[INTP] 
6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  saturnne 
#1 ·
Hello INTP's, having just found MBTi and initially having tested as INTJ I've have come to the firm conclusion that I am a Thinker, so this an official side-switching statement.

That said, How important is Traveling (around the country, overseas) as learning experiences. If you are seeking to understand the world better does travel afford you valuable data and experience to help you even more?

If so, is it a priority for anyone here?

#4 ·
I would only go to other places for the food.

For me: Italy = Pizza
England = Fish & Chips?
Greece = Greek food (duh)
China = REAL Chinese food (no, not chicken balls and spare ribs, you little suburb rat)
Korea = Kimchi (my Korean friend says this stuff is some good eatin')
etc...

In fact, when I am forced by my parents to go to events, my excuse to everyone for being there is "I came for the food," which they know is very probable.

#7 ·
I've made a promise to myself to go to a different country every year. I'm in my early thirties, and I figured why wait till retirement, when I won't be as able-body as I am now. I have no husband or children to weigh me down, and I've even entertained the thought of relocating to a whole new country.

To me, America is generally the same, from coast to coast. Not too much surprises me anymore, and I feel that sometimes I take living here and being a U.S. citizen, for granted.

I've realized that life is very short and time flies by way too quickly once you start focusing on developing personal meaning to your life. I also have instinctual urge for wanderlust.

With that said: the sights, the sounds, the culture, the terrain, and people that you experience in foreign countries is like a homecoming for me. It's a bit strange because I've always felt on the outside growing up and still do for the most part, but when traveling I feel more 'at home' and relaxed.

So yes, If you have the spared time and money, go, go, go! Even if it's for a week, you will have these memories ingrained into your being for the rest of your life. :proud:

#8 ·
i have just returned from my first major travel and find it indispensable for a number of reasons.

I became a greater supporter of the US through experiencing other modes of doing things.
I became a greater critic of the US through experiencing other modes of doing things.
It tests your character.
It cleanses your mind. There are probably many things in your current day to day life that bring you negative energy and putting yourself in a new environment is enlightening in this way.
There is a new geo-biological environment to explore and in this way it brings childlike excitement and wonder
etc. etc. etc..

#9 ·
I became a greater supporter of the US through experiencing other modes of doing things.
I became a greater critic of the US through experiencing other modes of doing things.
It tests your character.

etc. etc. etc..
For the small amount of international travel I have done thus far, the same applies except where the U.S is concerned swap with Australia.

May I ask in what way you support and have become more critical?

#10 ·
If I can talk about "figurative travel," uprooting yourself and moving to a different location can make all the difference in understanding a variety of things. If you do it literally, you will soon realize how awesome and yet paradoxically pathetic the U.S. of A is. If you try different perspectives within a room, you can actually see what's behind the filing cabinet. If you assume a different batch of presuppositions in your philosophy, you can chase out conclusions you could not make before. So yeah, "travel" is infinitely important.

#12 ·
I haven't taken on travelling as a lifestyle yet because I still live with my parents and can't just decide one day to go off to someplace far away, but I have been travelling all my life because of my dad's job.

I'd say without the international experiences, I wouldn't be who I am today. I think the spontaneity in my personality came from my having to change homes all the time. It also gave me the people skills that I wouldn't have acquired if I had stayed in one place. I guess I could say I became more well-rounded thanks to travelling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.