Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an INTP, I find myself really easily drawn into art. I understand the messages, or more like, I can pick up what the artist is trying to express through their mediums but is that normal for an INTP, since we're not that emotionally attuned? Also, I find myself really into photography and editing (I would paint if I could but no lol).

Are there any other INTPs artistically inclined?

Or is this just another thing you just can't type?

Or am I not an INTP?

djshfkjsdhfsdlajshd

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Im drawn to art as well but I think that has to do with Ni/Ne or just being creative than something emotional.

Your wondering if INTP's don't make art because they have less emotion?
I make lots of music and do some photography and in the end Im glad Im a thinker lol.
While you will develop more Fi if you draw inspiration from yourself Im very glad that I can step back from it and think "dose this actually sound good?" something I've witnessed F musicians (some T's) not been able to do because there emotionally invested in there ideas. They also can't deal with criticism well.

But then again I love INTP emotion. Too me my emotions sound raw, honest, and primitive.
I'm really into emo, and scremo music because I like the raw emotion in it.
And the guitars make me weep.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
As an INTP, I find myself really easily drawn into art. I understand the messages, or more like, I can pick up what the artist is trying to express through their mediums but is that normal for an INTP, since we're not that emotionally attuned? Also, I find myself really into photography and editing (I would paint if I could but no lol).

Are there any other INTPs artistically inclined?

Or is this just another thing you just can't type?

Or am I not an INTP?
Well, I think the more N styled INTPs will probably find it easier (and interesting), where the more T styled INTPs like things a little more uniform and following explicable natural law -- i.e., more subjective nuance vs more objective nuance.

I've got a number of artistic pursuits, including music and writing, and am very capable of moving people emotionally via making up music to set mood and style. I can just kind of "feel" it. It's not really something you can quantify or slap an equation on, you are picking up signals in real time or just putting something out there that you can tell people will respond to.

Reactions: insultfashioner

·
Registered
183 Posts
Art can be endlessly analyzed. I'm really drawn to concepts and building/dissecting layers of meaning in writing, visual art, music.

I think music especially also puts me in touch with emotions and emotional concepts (a more distanced way of dealing with emotion). It's safe to have these feelings alone, and not always terribly personal, but more allowing yourself to empathize with an emotional idea.

Music can be very nostalgic too, connecting us with memories, moods, generalized feelings (is that Si reflectance?). I think I've read INTPs experience memory's of a place in an abstract way, rather than in a framework of small details, which seems consistent with the type in general. Music appeals to this appetite for the abstract for me. That's why I like ambient, instrumental music, or music with vocals/lyrics mixed low/distorted.

I know people who loathe this, and are used to a very radio, lyrically heavy style. I like a little more mystery, and I don't think it's worth it for me to relate to something that's generic (Think every pop anthem ever. They're designed that way. Sorry, born that way C; ).

Interpretable art can keep my mind whirring for a long time about the possibilities of meaning, and I think a good artist steps out of the way to some extent. However, some poetry my INFP friend has showed me is too personal and cryptic for me to grasp. I don't even know where to start, or if there is a starting point at all.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Art can be endlessly analyzed. I'm really drawn to concepts and building/dissecting layers of meaning in writing, visual art, music.

I think music especially also puts me in touch with emotions and emotional concepts (a more distanced way of dealing with emotion). It's safe to have these feelings alone, and not always terribly personal, but more allowing yourself to empathize with an emotional idea.

Music can be very nostalgic too, connecting us with memories, moods, generalized feelings (is that Si reflectance?). I think I've read INTPs experience memory's of a place in an abstract way, rather than in a framework of small details, which seems consistent with the type in general. Music appeals to this appetite for the abstract for me. That's why I like ambient, instrumental music, or music with vocals/lyrics mixed low/distorted.

I know people who loathe this, and are used to a very radio, lyrically heavy style. I like a little more mystery, and I don't think it's worth it for me to relate to something that's generic (Think every pop anthem ever. They're designed that way. Sorry, born that way C; ).

Interpretable art can keep my mind whirring for a long time about the possibilities of meaning, and I think a good artist steps out of the way to some extent. However, some poetry my INFP friend has showed me is too personal and cryptic for me to grasp. I don't even know where to start, or if there is a starting point at all.

Hey if you like ambient instrumental music you should check out my tunes.
Bah Bu Rah

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
(listening to Bubble Tea) omg, lets be friends.

omg

1. do you like The Books?
2. do you have a soundcloud?
Glad you dig it. Thanks for the Facebook like too! lol

Yes I'm familiar with The Books but only there 'Thought for Food' album and I love them. (Now listening to them)
I had never heard them at the time I made that EP though but I was inspired by another artist Blithe Field who was hugely inspired by The Books lol

I do have soundcloud but I don't use it much, more of a bandcamp fan.
https://soundcloud.com/bah-bu-rah

Going to be releasing some more music in the fall time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah, I majored in music and there were a few INTPs and INTJs around. There were people of all types, actually.
I don't think type affects your inclination towards art, but it might affect how the art comes out of you. For example, I found that my struggles with musical performance ran parallel to those of my everyday INTP life. Emotional expression didn't come naturally to me and if I forced it, I felt like a stupid clown. I naturally focused on the aspects of music that could be objectively correct: technique, rhythm, intonation, etc. It's not that I didn't experience the emotion, I just couldn't bring it out of my head and show it to others. Is that familiar to you?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I want this thread to live. Gather, art nerds!
Yeah, yeah. I'm here.

Anyhow, yes, I am a cold-hearted and emotionless INTP, and I still love my art, particularly my music. I love being able to create something beautiful out of nothing more than a bunch of metal tubing or a hollow block of wood with vibrating strings attached. Small uninteresting parts that make something bigger and awesome.

Being a feeler doesn't necessarily mean being emotional, and being a thinker doesn't necessarily mean lacking emotions. It just has to do with how you process your data, objectively and subjectively. Art can be appreciated so many different ways- as a vessel for personal messages or a lovely-sounding collection of human-ness. Art is mostly independent of type, though I'm sure there are connections somewhere.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hm, this is a classic misinterpretation: INTP's not showing emotions does not mean they don't have any. However, it is true that as an INTP I have often felt it difficult to get in touch with emotions, especially directly. Art (and especially music) can be a wonderful thing since it offers a rather indirect way to "feel" and a lot of art leaves plenty of room for "conceptual understanding" too.
I'd say art suits INTP's very well...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Honestly, I doubted that we could really be artists for a while, at least like those on the higher echelons. Though I loved art deeply, and emotion (perhaps because it is so hard for me to reach, plus I am much colder than I used to be and yearn for what I know I'm missing). Sure, a lot of people loved my singing and musical performance, but anyone can accomplish that with technical skill and (for the singing anyway) a bit of talent.

But the other day I did a reading for a story I wrote. I did creative writing in high school and wasn't as accomplished with it then; I expected it to last just a while and to get some polite nods when I asked them if it was "okay", maybe a few excuses to leave early. But everyone was completely silent and still (this means something if you know these people), and expressed their admiration for the story at every pause. At the end of the night, one writer came up to me and told me she aspired to be like me.

Coming to think of it I had done a poem and an alternate ending to a story when I was a kid that impressed a lot of people, as well as some well received comic stuff (though that's not so much on the feely side), but it had been a while, and it was still extremely encouraging to hear. So yeah, I totally think INTP's (did you mean us specifically? you are posting it in the NT section) might even be able to excel at art if we try very hard. I think INTJ's and ENTP's might find it easier because of a higher feeling function, but many INTP's, due to their more primitive feeling function, actually have stronger emotions that the average person, when they come out...as strange as that may sound.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So yeah, I totally think INTP's (did you mean us specifically? you are posting it in the NT section) might even be able to excel at art if we try very hard. I think INTJ's and ENTP's might find it easier because of a higher feeling function, but many INTP's, due to their more primitive feeling function, actually have stronger emotions that the average person, when they come out...as strange as that may sound.
I've never seen more awkward, inelegant, and spiritually unrewarding writing than that of an INTJ. Have you heard/seen them tell a joke? *shudder* Visual art or music on the other hand, I think they could certainly excel at easily (more follow through and dedication). INTPs are abstract system masters (i.e. language).

ENTPs are language masters too, but I think they have even less follow-through than we. Writing can be a very introspective process.

Rabble rabble generalizations rabble stereotypes.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hm, this is a classic misinterpretation: INTP's not showing emotions does not mean they don't have any. However, it is true that as an INTP I have often felt it difficult to get in touch with emotions, especially directly. Art (and especially music) can be a wonderful thing since it offers a rather indirect way to "feel" and a lot of art leaves plenty of room for "conceptual understanding" too.
I'd say art suits INTP's very well...
We have reached perfection.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never seen more awkward, inelegant, and spiritually unrewarding writing than that of an INTJ. Have you heard/seen them tell a joke? *shudder* Visual art or music on the other hand, I think they could certainly excel at easily (more follow through and dedication). INTPs are abstract system masters (i.e. language).

ENTPs are language masters too, but I think they have even less follow-through than we. Writing can be a very introspective process.

I think what @nevermore wrote was fine. I think you took it a step ahead and made it sound offensive sorry

·
Registered
6,397 Posts

Dude, I'm an N. Generalizations don't faze me.

I actually like a lot of INTJ humour; it does have a tendency to be dry, but subtle and subversive and amusing all the same. (Well, George Carlin was not subtle, but many are).

Your comment seems to be focusing on style. Yes, Fe really helps here (even if it is in an awkward last like it is for INTP's). But I was talking about storytelling before, the development of an imaginative plot and compelling characters. It is not what they excel most at doing, but it is much less of a struggle for them. It should not be hard to see why. Our N is strong, but theirs is stronger. Their F side is not their forte, but they are in a better position to use it than we are. This is simple functional mathematics. And yeah, N and F really are the best functions for doing art, realistic paintings of scenery aside perhaps (and I can't tell you how many Ni doms I've met who are good at that).

As for literary style...I do think it's possible for us to get quite good at this. Ti does have a knack for choosing "just the right word", and having Fe in any capacity is certainly an advantage. It can lend your writing a lot of warmth and charm. But even this doesn't privilege the INTP's functional stack as much as you think it does. Writing is a discipline (speaking of J's being more disciplined), and the way in which words and clauses are strung together is of crucial importance. I don't just mean this from a technical point of view. Sentences, like stories, are structured and temporal; they have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Everything needs to appear in just the right place to have the right emotional impact. Ti can help here, but the INFJ's Ti is best for this, one led by imagination and feeling and a linear plan. Ti as a dominant function is not designed to follow a linear plan but to respond to changing contexts with lightning speed. Writing a book isn't something our holistic "web of logic" usually helps us with. Frankly I find a lot of INTPs' prose dithering and awkward (including most of my message board posts, to be honest), lacking both structure and feeling, and we're not even getting into plotting...

You see, a well structured sentence doesn't mean a barren one; doesn't mean a sentence devoid of life or emotion. It just means one that flows, reads well, and has a specific purpose in the larger whole. Fe can do this...but remember it's hard to access for us. We may be technically good at languages, like you correctly point out, but stylistic/aesthetic use of it is another matter. The dialogue shouldn't make you cringe, and the word choice should be aesthetically pleasing and contextually appropriate. Dialogue which contains character development needs to be written in the right way; implied, but not too subtly.

But the biggest problem of all is, well...our dominant function really doesn't have too much to contribute here. Though characters' inner logic does have an impact on their psychology, it is boring to read a story about characters thinking solely about logic. Sometimes I feel like this is the only thing amateur internet reviewers care about these days, but I think it's a misplaced concern. Logic is something that is better thought of as detracting from a story when it is absent, not something that makes a story better if it is there. (Not many people go to a movie or read a book for the sound logic.)

We can squeeze out some good stuff, from time to time, with Ne-Fe. Anyone can use any function with effort. But this will end up producing (at best) merely good versions of what someone else could do better. Ideally, we really need to find ways to turn our weaknesses into positives. Write around your flaws and take every possible artistic advantage Ti could give you. Sarcastic banter (Ti with Ne is great for that), comically blunt characters who don't know how to socialize well, and a generous dose of Ne comedy are all things people have liked in my writing. Take advantage of any unique life experiences you have had; these are any writer's greatest asset, no matter how strong their imagination or how deep their empathy. Ti's precision is great for suspense, which in and of itself keeps the reader turning the pages and usually makes them a little more forgiving of your flaws. INTP's are often genuinely great at description, one talent that just needs a little refinement before it can really impress (don't overdo it though!) Once this is done, add in just enough emotional content (preferably based on your own experiences and not overwrought). You've got a fighting chance.

Re: your comment about INTJ's being better at music and visual art because of the determination (like INTP's can't be determined to excel at things they really love?) uh...I beg to differ. I actually think writing takes almost as much practice as music and visual art to do well. If it looks more accessible it's because everyone can write a sentence, but not everyone write a sentence that is both clear and artful. Setting aside the ability to come up with compelling plots and characters! As for music...Ti-Ne has got a shot there. If anything it's the art form where INTP's have the best chances. It's just mathematical patterns, really...that are calculated to produce emotion of course, but F is more concerned with social and psychological dynamics than emotions anyway. Nothing stirs the heartstrings like music, so accessing them in this way isn't hard for most people in the first place.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts