Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some books where an INTP is the main character, or a big part of the book?

What are some of your favorite books to read?

·
Registered
342 Posts
'The brotherhood of the screaming abyss', written by Dennis McKenna in 2012. It gets to a time where he and his brother Terence become blindingly spaced on native substances and concoctions in the Amazon during the early 1970's. The notions they had were far far out - to the point where Dennis barely came back. Terence had to keep a constant eye on him, because he kept running off into the wilderness naked, and demented.

A roving tour of South America would be so right right about now.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've read a lot of books, and very few even have an INTP as a supporting character. That's probably because in most book scenarios are reactions are quite boring. I'll give some examples:

Finds out he has amazing super power: Carrys on with life only using it to make life easier.(would any do us go fight super villains? Too much work and wayyyy too many people would be involved.

In a an alternate reality(such as the hunger games world): contemplates what other worlds would be like and gets killed for not following a rule he didn't logically understand.

Evil monsters involved: Considers the reasons behind why the monsters are there, and sees if he can make them go to someone else so it's not his problem.

Sudden social change: Who cares?

Finds out he's a wizard: Cool I'll become amazing on a few specific topics and mostly use them when bored.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think with INTP writers, the characters and their emotions along with their internal conflicts are seen as trivial, the characters are mainly seen as a device to communicate ideas and pitch conversations that answer any potential objections that the reader could raise towards the central ideas of the book. For the most part, their purpose is to move the plot forward.

While with non-NT writers, the opposite is true. These books would rather focus on the moral conflicts and emotional relationships that come about between characters. They encourage the reader to identify closely with the main characters. Due to our nature, INTP characters wouldn't serve much purpose in those situations. There are INTP characters littered throughout a lot of literature, but usually we fill static roles as the equivalent of detached intellectuals.

I read science fiction and usually don't spare much thought for any of the protagonists.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would believe The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle's protagonist is an INTP. But it's hard to tell. The reason I think that is that his emotions are rather disconnected from his experience and how he acts, and such the way the story is told as well. It's a lot of abstract, weird stuff and odd connections between things, and that's how it's narrated and told. One of my favorite books, though, which could be my bias.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would believe The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle's protagonist is an INTP. But it's hard to tell. The reason I think that is that his emotions are rather disconnected from his experience and how he acts, and such the way the story is told as well. It's a lot of abstract, weird stuff and odd connections between things, and that's how it's narrated and told. One of my favorite books, though, which could be my bias.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You'd know if the main character is an INTP if they say words like "analyze" and "concluded." Most books I read don't say that. A lot of intellectuals in books tend to be side characters like other posters said. It makes me think that INTP are boring as the main characters.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I'd type Lisbeth Salander from the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series as an INTP.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
^ Would explain why she's still one of my favourite characters since ever.

I dunno about INTP characters but a book all INTPs (and actually just everyone ever really) need to read is Infinite Jest. Man that book spoke to my soul man. My soul.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I dunno about INTP characters but a book all INTPs (and actually just everyone ever really) need to read is Infinite Jest. Man that book spoke to my soul man. My soul.
Since you liked Infinite Jest, you may like Jennifer Government by Max Barry. If you haven't read it already.

Reactions: Fredward

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know that Sherlock Holmes is definitely an INTP (the original, not the one from that BBC show). I've heard that Gandalf is an INTP, but I've also heard that he was INTJ and INFJ. I've also heard that Yoda is an INTP, but I haven't watched Star Wars in a while.

Actually, in a story I'm writing, one of the main characters is an INTP. It's not finished yet, but she still counts. Right?

*ahem*

I think we all forgot about Elizabeth Bennett. I'm willing to bet that she's an INTP. But, you're right. Literature needs more INTPs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Are INTP are the main characters boring? Imagine how different Harry Potter would had been if he was an INTP 5W6.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Are INTP are the main characters boring? Imagine how different Harry Potter would had been if he was an INTP 5W6.
He'd figure things out really quickly "I already knew it was a basilisk Hermione, you didn't need to get yourself set stone for that information!" but on the other hand he'd never deal with anything "As far as I can tell this basilisk is the schools problem, the teachers can handle it." and if the teachers handled things (successfully) the wizarding world would have acknowledge Voldemort's efforts to return and possibly cut his plans in the bud...a lot of things could have been avoided if the staff did their job.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not sure about many books with INTPs as main characters, but there are many books written by INTPs for the enjoyment of other INTPs. Check the non-fiction section.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
'The brotherhood of the screaming abyss', written by Dennis McKenna in 2012. It gets to a time where he and his brother Terence become blindingly spaced on native substances and concoctions in the Amazon during the early 1970's. The notions they had were far far out - to the point where Dennis barely came back. Terence had to keep a constant eye on him, because he kept running off into the wilderness naked, and demented.

A roving tour of South America would be so right right about now.

I will check it out! Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that Sherlock Holmes is definitely an INTP (the original, not the one from that BBC show). I've heard that Gandalf is an INTP, but I've also heard that he was INTJ and INFJ. I've also heard that Yoda is an INTP, but I haven't watched Star Wars in a while.

Actually, in a story I'm writing, one of the main characters is an INTP. It's not finished yet, but she still counts. Right?

*ahem*

I think we all forgot about Elizabeth Bennett. I'm willing to bet that she's an INTP. But, you're right. Literature needs more INTPs.
I wrote a few short stories with an INTP as the main character. A LOT of it takes please in his head. I wouldn't mind reading what you wrote if you don't mind.

Yes it does, we need more books to let people know INTPs can still be heros, not sidekicks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got this book, so far its been fantastic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts