Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this stereotype or whatever that most INTPs' like science and techinal devices and stuff. I don't. I was never good at it in school and i just don't think science is very intersting. I'm also not that great with technical devices...
History and literature is a lot more interesting to me.

Idk if someone can help me out here but this has been bugging me a bit (i mean it's kind of the reason i created this account lol). I made this personality test like 5 times and i always get INTP... is this just a stereotype?

(Sorry for my bad english it's not my first language)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes it's a stereotype because most nerdy things are technology based. But History and Literature is equally nerdy so really it's just a different part of the same stereotype. So you don't like Sci-fi? Stargate? Startrek?

edit: since you like history etc I would suggest you watch Stargate from the start, they go to other planets that are usually like a place like earth just locked into a particular era. It's like a wacky parallel history kind of thing. I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
ISFP, 6w5 sx/so
2,480 Posts
I'm seems to be ESFP (Or maybe ISFP, don't know.), and It says ESFP's are the dancers of the MBTI. I don't like dancing, I mean I'm playfull, adventorious and I like action, such as risk taking that promotes fun, but I don't like dancing... I mean dancing for me is like doing random weird movements and motions which doesent really promote true fun action for me.

So, I guess dancing for ESFP is only a stereotype and does not literaly mean that I like dancing, and I should not take this stereotype serious, right?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense... i actually like sci-fi a lot (startrek and starwars :^) but i've never seen it from this point of view i just thought about science class and things like that.

I just watched the trailer... stargate looks like a lot of fun i'm going to give it a shot... thanks a lot for the recommendations!!

Yes it's a stereotype because most nerdy things are technology based. But History and Literature is equally nerdy so really it's just a different part of the same stereotype. So you don't like Sci

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm seems to be ESFP (Or maybe ISFP, don't know.), and It says ESFP's are the dancers of the MBTI. I don't like dancing, I mean I'm playfull, adventorious and I like action, such as risk taking that promotes fun, but I don't like dancing... I mean dancing for me is like doing random weird movements and motions which doesent really promote true fun action for me.

So, I guess dancing for ESFP is only a stereotype and does not literaly mean that I like dancing, and I should not take this stereotype serious, right?
lmao i guess other personality types have these stereotype "Problems" too :^) yeah i guess we should not take them too serious. Because dancing is something playful and fun maybe People just automatically think it fits your personality type.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Makes sense... i actually like sci-fi a lot (startrek and starwars :^) but i've never seen it from this point of view i just thought about science class and things like that.

I just watched the trailer... stargate looks like a lot of fun i'm going to give it a shot... thanks a lot for the recommendations!!
no problemo, I love scifi so much. I think I've watched everything scifi ever made. It's an amazing time for scifi lovers on telle atm. I'm full of recommendations! And I was born in the 80's so I've been around for all good scifi from the beginning lol.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no problemo, I love scifi so much. I think I've watched everything scifi ever made. It's an amazing time for scifi lovers on telle atm. I'm full of recommendations! And I was born in the 80's so I've been around for all good scifi from the beginning lol.
so you were basically born with it lmao :^) that's dope any other good recommendations? Like some of your favourite scifi movies D:?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
so you were basically born with it lmao :^) that's dope any other good recommendations? Like some of your favourite scifi movies D:?
oh gosh. I will go through some classics to make sure you've seen them.
eXistenZ (1999)
The Matrix (1999)
The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
Virtuosity (1995)
Event Horizon (1997)
The Fifth element (1997)
Terminator (movies)
Men In Black (movies)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Gattaca (1997)
Water world (1995)
Mars attacks! (1996)
Demolition Man (1993)

There is Drama, Thriller, Horror, Comedy in there. So maybe just watch the kind you like most and then go into the 2000+ era lol. But they're all great imo.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh gosh. I will go through some classics to make sure you've seen them.
eXistenZ (1999)
The Matrix (1999)
The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
Virtuosity (1995)
Event Horizon (1997)
The Fifth element (1997)
Terminator (movies)
Men In Black (movies)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Gattaca (1997)
Water world (1995)
Mars attacks! (1996)
Demolition Man (1993)

There is Drama, Thriller, Horror, Comedy in there. So maybe just watch the kind you like most and then go into the 2000+ era lol. But they're all great imo.
Thanks a lot :^D i've seen like 40% of these and i'm very hyped to check out the others!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I like all... I like anything interesting... information is information, any is good.
The thing about history is that you don't really need to know anything about it to know it.
At least on some level of abstraction. You already know it's going to be people arguing, people fighting, politics, wars etc. It's only really the specific details that need filled in. It's just people doing people things.

Science, on the other hand, that can be amazing. Imagine the possibilities. Can we create a new reality and live in it? What would a water world be like? Do black holes have new universes in their centre? It's all just such a massive range of exciting possibilities.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The thing about history is that you don't really need to know anything about it to know it.
At least on some level of abstraction. You already know it's going to be people arguing, people fighting, politics, wars etc. It's only really the specific details that need filled in. It's just people doing people things.

Science, on the other hand, that can be amazing. Imagine the possibilities. Can we create a new reality and live in it? What would a water world be like? Do black holes have new universes in their centre? It's all just such a massive range of exciting possibilities.
What about the history of science? Ancient cultures are full of interesting sciency things. That's what I was thinking of I guess.

Although theology is one of my obsessive interests and anthropology is a part of that so that interests me too.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
What about the history of science? Ancient cultures are full of interesting sciency things. That's what I was thinking of I guess.
I do like reading about "ancient technology" because that's mysterious in a way, you might not necessarily know what you'll find. But so far it hasn't been overly impressive unless it includes a conspiracy theory about aliens or some such lol. Doesn't seem like any ancient cultures were time-travelling or anything like that.

With conventional history of science, it's only marginally more interesting than history. It usually goes "so this guy was mucking around and found this sciency thing happened" - I don't really care much about the guy, but the sciency bit is interesting.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like science but dislike history and literature
Fight me :^)
No jk... interesting... it would be kind of creepy if every INTP ever had exactly the same interests D:

Maybe it has something to do with the gender... highly doubt it though

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

People doing people things sounds like the lamest thing ever. It's not though... I'm interested in the connections, for example i'm interested in the reasons why a war happened, the consequences, how the things are connected, what are the motivations of a person etc., how is it possible that this terrible thing happened, what if something else happened... you know the thrill

yes history is a lot easier to understand than science... i don't think i'm very smart for an INTP maybe that's why i like history more.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Fight me :^)
No jk... interesting... it would be kind of creepy if every INTP ever had exactly the same interests D:

Maybe it has something to do with the gender... highly doubt it though
oh actually I have noticed a connection with gender. But I discount it because there isn't enough sample size.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Blasphemy! Science is a never ending effort to explain how life and the universe work! I cannot imagine what could possibly be more interesting!

But yes, there are some misguided souls, even INTPs, that don't find science interesting.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
People doing people things sounds like the lamest thing ever. It's not though... I'm interested in the connections, for example i'm interested in the reasons why a war happened, the consequences, how the things are connected, what are the motivations of a person etc., how is it possible that this terrible thing happened, what if something else happened... you know the thrill
Do you like soap operas? Seems the same thing except real lol.

yes history is a lot easier to understand than science... i don't think i'm very smart for an INTP maybe that's why i like history more.
In some ways history is harder to understand, because it studies the particulars and not the fundamentals. I might be interested in the most fundamental theories underpinning history, but it usually goes into exactly what all happened, and usually everyone disagrees about what happened because there's many different interpretations or possible causes, or you have to try to make theories based on vague evidence... if science was like history, instead of asking "how does a particle move in a box?" it would be asking "I have 50 particles bouncing around in a box, and a 2000-year old tablet in a dead language with parts faded out describing them. There also may or may not be a stiff wind. What positions will the particles be in 10 years from now?"

For example, I never see history trying to systemically summarise the underlying motivations for war, I only see them listing off the exact sequence of events that lead to a particular war. They make it specific and complicated, too much detail and information. I might be off-hand interested in some fundamental models of human behaviour based on history.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
I think that MBTI is a personality test, not an interests test. I don't think that liking science is mandatory for being an INTP, any more than being a dancer is a requirement to join the ESFP club. Your personality may influence the way that you enjoy your interests but it doesn't determining them. In my case: I am an esfp. I like to dance. I also like science and history. I like science because I am a gardener and I am interested in knowing as much as I can about plants and insects and anything that has to do with the natural environment. This is the world around me, my immediate environment, and it is endlessly fascinating to me.

Maybe there are gardens in the middle of black holes. I'm so impulsive that I'd want to go into a black hole and find out for myself. The only problem is that I'd never come out and it could be a poison ivy garden.

Arrrrggghhh.

Reactions: Wisteria
1 - 20 of 65 Posts