Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was initially going to school for journalism but have now decided on computer programming.. wondering what other INTP's have found to be fulfilling career choices.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Depends on the person.

Some ppl will like circuits and electronic. Others might like history.

Trial and error is your best friend.

PS. Liking your display pic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
definitely have been riding the trial and error wave for years. and thank you :happy:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
definitely have been riding the trial and error wave for years. and thank you :happy:
Get used to it, lol. Finding a fulfilling career that does not get boring as an INTP is quite difficult.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
sigh. story of my life..

Haha, one day I will have it nailed down to. Tried Military, to management, to Systems Administration... All get old rather quickly for one reason or another.

Reactions: J

·
Registered
5 Posts
well for me i wanted to be a pilot but after nagging of all of my family they did convince me to change what i want so then i did some research and i choose computer science aka programming which started a new war between me and my family but luckily i won so I'm studying computer science right now
ps: i didn't only win i crushed my family lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well for me i wanted to be a pilot but after nagging of all of my family they did convince me to change what i want so then i did some research and i choose computer science aka programming which started a new war between me and my family but luckily i won so I'm studying computer science right now
ps: i didn't only win i crushed my family lol
lol. how are liking computer science?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm studying business and computer science. It's alright I guess - I don't hate it but I don't really like it. I'm not sure if I want a career in any but I think I would be able to tolerate it. If I didn't have to worry about uni fees/securing a job I would probably study history or archaeology.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lol. how are liking computer science?
well for me i really like it,computers are my passion I already have very good general knowledge about computers (so i can fix almost any software problem) but i didn't have any programming background.
but I should say its not that hard, its like building a house by lego you know all the shapes that you have so you just have to put the pieces in a good way so that the house doesn't fall(there is no right way to do it) and that is programming in a nutshell

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm studying Physics with Geology. I hate Geology because it's boring and you have to do rote memorisation for exams :frustrating:. But I love Physics and I'm hoping to find a career in research (Astronomy). The only reason I'm taking Geology is to have it as a back up, in case researching Astronomy doesn't work out then I'll research volcanos/earthquakes. But if it weren't for that, then I'd drop it any day. Plus, I never see myself going into the oil & gas industry!

·
Registered
625 Posts
@Matias_Nelson Interesting...I wanted to be an Air Traffic Controller for a while but I decided that it'd be way too risky, cause so many people's lives are in your hands each day and it'd be really hard to get a job. Haha, I don't know what I'm saying, even wanting to do research in Astronomy is really hard to find a job in. :laughing:

I wonder if it's just me or is it an INTP trait that I tend to gravitate towards rarer jobs/ jobs that not a lot of people can do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Airess3 Well I wouldn't say we go to rare jobs but we like challenging jobs that needs alot of thinking

and a piece of advise dont go to researching volcanos/earthquakes if you hate Geology its very hard to be successful in a job you are not passionate about try searching for other things you are passionate about even if they are common, if you love your work you will standout in it\

ps: you can still be in Air Traffic Controller if you play flight simulator x(steam edition)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well for me i really like it,computers are my passion I already have very good general knowledge about computers (so i can fix almost any software problem) but i didn't have any programming background.
but I should say its not that hard, its like building a house by lego you know all the shapes that you have so you just have to put the pieces in a good way so that the house doesn't fall(there is no right way to do it) and that is programming in a nutshell
yeah i completely agree with your description of programming

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm working as a Security guard during the weeks and as a bouncer during the weekends been doing so for the last 6 years. Its not for filling, at least not most of the time.

Would like to be my own boss and just give away expertise advice while half asleep in a sofa :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm studying management and it's okay. I actually like my management classes, which are just like psychology. Don't enjoy finance, operations, or information systems core classes too much. I was a helicopter mechanic in the Marine Corps, but aside from some cool parts I wanted to see what else was out there. I actually just want to read history books all day and some light reading on computers/technology. For the most part I'm still lost in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm thinking of going into geology and either going into the petroleum industry, or vertebrate paleontology. I've also thought about radio broadcasting as it would allow me to focus on multiple things and I could prep for work by browsing news site. Something I already do. I've also thought about being a zoologist as I love animals and working with some of the more unusual and unpredictable ones. That said, I'd rather not be mauled by a leopard. So that's something to think about.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm thinking of going into geology and either going into the petroleum industry, or vertebrate paleontology. I've also thought about radio broadcasting as it would allow me to focus on multiple things and I could prep for work by browsing news site. Something I already do. I've also thought about being a zoologist as I love animals and working with some of the more unusual and unpredictable ones. That said, I'd rather not be mauled by a leopard. So that's something to think about.
Petroleum geology is a good way to make bank. You can save up a bunch of money quickly and then early retire (if you can live really cheaply) off the proceeds. You know, if you are like most INTP and aren't over-excited about having a fancy lifestyle. Early Retirement Extreme: — a combination of simple living, anticonsumerism, DIY ethics, self-reliance, and applied capitalism < this guy is the master.

Myself, I'm currently dead-ending as a bookkeeper making close to minimum wage in my family's unprofitable business. No one in the business is making more than $30k a year. I have an associate's degree and need to get out and finish my bachelor's in computer science so I can make a reasonable income and amass some wealth.

·
Registered
553 Posts
hmm.. wanted to do science direction in middle school.had a horrible teacher with poor skills and NO control over his class.Being the super easily distracted 13yr old I was that caused me to get a B attest for math.(yr before i had 91 :( )
B means you can pass but do no math heavy directions.
or you need to do your year over.
Seeing that to be pointless since = same teacher i decided to go ahead.Unfortunately all IT directions were very programming = math heavy .I do not like programming so it wasn't that I missed that, but I wound up in a situation where there was nothing interesting in my curriculum. I love history and languages, but they were not what I wanted to do.Got a learning contract with a photographer after doing 2 yrs of art school.Was nice, earned some money whilst 1/5 days a week in school.But ended up being more occupied with the network and tech than actual picture taking :) Too shy and not at ease with all those people.I can take decent pictures, but not for a living. 1 yr unemployed, feeling pretty worthless.Starting to doubt my own intelligence and capability to lear enough to find a job in something I actually wanted to do.Saw a course of 8months computer & network technician.Went,learned my ass off and loved every minute of it.Mind you this was not a easy peasy little course.It covered everything from hardware to all os families, setting up dns servers,exchange, active directory,ldap,ip calculating,first part of ccnp from cisco.40hrs a week with 45 minutes break over whole day.

And labo's .Instead of just theoretical tests we had big labo's.Awesome.
From there I got a job in tech support.Now on my third job in tech support 8 yrs later.Still loving it.Mind you i have no actual, not even high school. But I'm payed +- 1700€ net (after taxes) per month. So I'm doing quite well.

Would like to specialize though, although I don't know in what because I love systems and network, and am afraid I will not have the self-dicipline or just won't be good enough. Also I like to help my users.I love explaining them new and better things to do stuff.More efficient ways.Teach them shortcuts!

Hmm..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Currently I am finishing my bachelor thesis for a bachelor's degree in Public Health. The study focus a lot on adaptive physical education and motivating people to make the right choices when it comes to health. The whole "motivate people" and social aspects of the program is very draining and boring for me. What excited me was the physiology class and the nutrition class when we learned how nutrients effects the physiology was very interesting. But I can't see myself working in these field with all these people, social government programs or being an physical educator. Next year I am starting on a new degree in Psychology. I find it really interesting to figure out how people think and why people act like they do, both individually and as groups. When I watch Netflix, it is usually social-cultural documentaries that fascinates me, like Supersize Me, Craigslist Joe etc. Probably could have pursued a degree in sociology as well.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts