Personality Cafe banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Prop and character art for video games. I had no idea what I was going to do with my life as a junior in high school and I decided to go with 3d art on a whim. Turned out to be the best decision of my life, there's nothing I enjoy more when it comes to creative work.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I studied chemical engineering as Bachelor's, now I'm doing my Master's in Polymer Material Science. I want to take a PhD, and go into research, if possible.

Reactions: JoetheBull

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Bachelor Background is Economic, after pass my Bachelor degree i work on administration area, 8 years works as personal Assistant (in 3 Company) , Last year i decide to take Master degree in Information System since im feel in secure and i loved to analyse system. I ve been 5 Months jobless , i decide to quit my job before i got the new one. On April 1th i will start my new career as Account Manager on IT industry.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Geneticist/Professor

·
Banned
104 Posts
Started in sales out of college then moved onto management (not my strongsuit). Now just recently the company I was a part owner of got bought out. After my non compete ends I think I'll try to do it all over again. Love numbers and analyzing P and L's. Did really well in sales by taking a commodity and making it different. My weakness is carrying out an idea to full completion so will try to surround myself with detail oriented people.
it's been a crazy ride tho ...silicon valley esque with a borderline nervous breakdown during the trek.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm thinking a lot of people read this when they are in start position of their careers or education.

But I'm 30 years old now, and been on the same work for 4 or 5 years, after a 2 year education - working with IT networking.
And I feel so damn bored. I don't care about it. It was the same when I was younger without an education working in a factory or the likes. But it didn't matter, it was temporary and it was the money. Money I saved for adventure. It wasn't a problem coming home to my father after a year of adventure and start from scratch.
But with age comes...something. It's not responsibility, I haven't gotten kids, and I don't have a life partner. But something. One is a medical condition making the adventures a little to adventuristic, but it's more than that. The coming back, the starting over.

How do people take the step to do something more meaningful? But that's a later question. The big question is:
How do people find what's meaningful? I'm so jealous of people like artists and self-employees who manage to live free and still manage economically somehow. I just don't have the slightest clue how to fit those two together. Freedom and money.
Is it possible for an INTP?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm not actually working yet but I'm now halfway through my 4th/final year of the BSN (nursing) program. It might sound like a bizarre choice for an INTP, but I dunno, I've done all the clinical rotations, I worked as a care aide for a summer, and I worked as an ESN (employed student nurse) this past summer and I'm still enjoying it enough. I like it because you have your own independent practice (you have things to do by yourself, which yes does involve working with people but there's a lot that goes into nursing beyond here's-your-pills-I'm-here-to-assess-you), but you still have a team to work with and fall back on. And I personally like working with either really old people (I might go into palliative care - not many people can do it cause, yaknow, some people take the deaths/dying of others quite hard, but I think my INTP-ness makes me really good at being able to connect with these people without getting too attached) or really young (I still like the thought of the NICU, but like not right out of the gate maybe a few years into my working life). And some nursing positions have less teamwork (like you have your team but you're more independent in your workplace i.e., community [public health nurse type stuff, home health, etc]). And if you don't like the actual nursing aspect, you can get your masters, or PhD (which not many nurses do but depending on what you're wanting to do might be necessary) and get into nursing research. It's VERY flexible (I like the fact I'll be able to travel anywhere to work, and that there's so many different fields within nursing you can switch to if you ever get bored [my mom (INTJ) is an RN of 30+ years and while she always seems to go back to maternity but she's done renal/dialysis, cardiac, heck she took a midwifery course, just for example]), and depending on what route you take you can either work with people or work in research.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I'm thinking a lot of people read this when they are in start position of their careers or education.

But I'm 30 years old now, and been on the same work for 4 or 5 years, after a 2 year education - working with IT networking.
And I feel so damn bored. I don't care about it. It was the same when I was younger without an education working in a factory or the likes. But it didn't matter, it was temporary and it was the money. Money I saved for adventure. It wasn't a problem coming home to my father after a year of adventure and start from scratch.
But with age comes...something. It's not responsibility, I haven't gotten kids, and I don't have a life partner. But something. One is a medical condition making the adventures a little to adventuristic, but it's more than that. The coming back, the starting over.

How do people take the step to do something more meaningful? But that's a later question. The big question is:
How do people find what's meaningful? I'm so jealous of people like artists and self-employees who manage to live free and still manage economically somehow. I just don't have the slightest clue how to fit those two together. Freedom and money.
I share your philosophy - except I'm only 23. So I'm blessed with hardly any responsibility yet... But I'm slowly but surely nearing the edge to adulthood.

I can't imagine many jobs to stimulate me. Like you said, neither of the two entirely different jobs have been able to spark your interest, despite the huge difference in qualification, position and tasks. I'm guessing it's the routine and repetitiveness that we, INTPs, detest.

I'm fearing I'm headed towards the same path with my Bachelor's degree I'm about to obtain. In fact, I'd much rather do some, say, park ranger job so I live be outside in nature, than a higher valued clerical function in some company.

Companies, I really don't care about, I want to work in function of my own merits and development (if that makes sense).

So what I'm gonna do is, I'm gonna go study Philosophy for a year and a half (pretty much devoting my life to the use- and purposeless to 1) hold things off 2) gain knowledge and an extra Bechelor's degree that suits me way more 3) give myself some more time to develop independent skills, like writing 4) experiment with part time jobs to go with my studies.

But yes, I, too, feel like a small fish lost in the ocean of possilities, trying to clinge on to some straw of interest.

We have fundamental thing in common; we haven't found our why yet: what do we really enjoy? What do we really want to do? What stimulates us deep inside?

It's a matter of finding exacty that, rather than worry it's not there. Jobs really can offer something other than a drag. They really can energize you in a way. Find you why.

One thing I'd like to add to your particular case: careful for a bore-out (if you're not in one yet).

I'm so jealous of people like artists and self-employees who manage to live free and still manage economically somehow. I just don't have the slightest clue how to fit those two together. Freedom and money.
I'm in the exact the same boat. Is it possible for an INTP? Yes, some people on this forum are independent artists of some sort - I've come across an artist (paintings etc, can't remember her username off the top of my head), some mentioned writing or forms of freelancing. BUT as far as I know, becoming a full-time artists is extremely hard to achieve.

What I do know is: INTPs are generally willing to live a close to break-even life, in exchange for every week freedom and doing what they like.

But I have no clue how it works practically... Working independently. And what I'm yet to figure out what I could be good enough at.

What I'm sure of that INTPs have more than enough potential to manifest/use their cognitive nature to manifest from the bunch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
does everybody have an inner calling that they haven't discovered? or is it carved out from our life, our experiences, our decisions?
what do you think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 21 and I am studying final year in Electrical Engineering. But still I have no idea how to take next step towards life. If I think of a routine work style it's like something not so exciting..

·
Registered
592 Posts
does everybody have an inner calling that they haven't discovered? or is it carved out from our life, our experiences, our decisions?
what do you think?
Time is a flat circle and nothing matters and nothing is ever solved. People who claim they have found their calling are only riding their dopamine high until it becomes desensitized. You are simply searching for that neurotransmitter. #sorrynotsorry

·
Registered
5 Posts
currently a junior in high school was pretty set on being a writer and striving to get a bachelors degree in creative writing degree,but have recently gained a sudden interest in politics(probably cause the election) thinking of majoring in political science instead of marketing ,still i dont think creative writing and political science would compliment each other so i might replace creative writing with a journalism or communications degree (cause as much as i enjoy writing fiction and poetry i also love writing essays on politics or social issues of such matter maybe i can so both but im still gonna have to focus my career towards one more than the other) yeah it used to be clearer when thinking of my future career but now im not so sure,and being super indecisive doesn't help

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Decent amount involved in Math and physics at school. Will do research for one of them next semester but not sure which one yet....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I will never find a "true calling" because I can never trust where my brain will end up in the future. I spent 5 and a half years in college, switched majors and minors 7+ times, and ended up leaving without a degree.

I currently own my own business and am having fun but greatly fear the inevitable day that I become bored or tired of it. Hopefully I exit before that happens, as I'd like my exit to be a strategic and not personal one.

Most likely I will end up a serial entrepreneur...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry for intervention, but i like to share my own opinion although this topic is directed to INTPs while i'm an INTJ,
so through my experince with my INTP best friend, i -think-
that INTPs are good at designing scenarios or working as an art directors due their wide imagination
and also i think you INTPs have a huge interest in Art if i'm not mistaken which means you
may have a variaty of inspiration sources and can come up with different & unique ideas
beside your high intelliegent and creativity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fell into a career by reading Cliff Stoll's The Cuckoo's Egg in highschool. Turns out computer security happened to be important 10 years later. I love having a job that can be instantly upended by any number of factors, new vulnerability release, attacker banging on the front door, or business deciding to take a random left turn and throwing all my plans into the air at a moment's notice. I love it.

That and the Defcon conference is INTP crack. During that week in Vegas you can make the most geeky joke in a random elevator and have a good chance that you'll get multiple laughs.

Tyn

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I am 21 and I am studying final year in Electrical Engineering. But still I have no idea how to take next step towards life. If I think of a routine work style it's like something not so exciting..
Find internship, or job.

I fell into a career by reading Cliff Stoll's The Cuckoo's Egg in highschool. Turns out computer security happened to be important 10 years later. I love having a job that can be instantly upended by any number of factors, new vulnerability release, attacker banging on the front door, or business deciding to take a random left turn and throwing all my plans into the air at a moment's notice. I love it.
I want to do CySec but.... no relevant work experience. Just attacking systems from a shitbucks. Short of making really great malware that damages numerous networks and as such i get a deal with the Fed to avoid jail time in exchange for working with them i find it difficult to enter the real. I am working on CCNA in the hopes that that will generate something.

That and the Defcon conference is INTP crack. During that week in Vegas you can make the most geeky joke in a random elevator and have a good chance that you'll get multiple laughs.
Tyn
I was there summer 2016. I had a great time. Didnt bring my gear for security reasons so i missed out.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts