Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know there's no such thing, but you know...

I have just been thinking about things and honestly, I don't think I am logic-based, but I am definitely iNtuitive and have a strong Ti and Fe. I like using Fe and it does not drain me at all (I can even cry at the drop of a hat, not that that's a sign of it or anything), and I'm now sort of wondering whether or I was mistaking Ni for Ne. My primary acacdemic interest is the history of worldviews, especially from a values-based perspective, which sounds a lot like Ni-Fe (again, that doesn't prove anything, it's just a hint). The more I read about the type (like, you can still be messy and be a J:tongue:) the more it seems like it could be me. I was very humanitarian from a young age, and I have a gift for comforting and consoling others in times of distress. Again, it's not proof or anything, but INTP doesn't quite work for me, and this is the only other one that fits (I love INFP's but I don't relate to Fi and certainly not to Te). What I mistook for Si is, I think, just nostalgia. I don't think I relate to any other part of it, and for that matter I'm not even as nostalgic as I used to be (you would think it would increase with age, but apparently not).

I think my Ti is just very well developed, but then again I'm not sure. It's definitely not my dominant function.

So, I've decided to hang around here for a while and see if the glove fits. Do tell me if you think I'm crazy and there's just nooooo way!:tongue:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Well, I know there's no such thing, but you know...

I have just been thinking about things and honestly, I don't think I am logic-based, but I am definitely iNtuitive and have a strong Ti and Fe. I like using Fe and it does not drain me at all (I can even cry at the drop of a hat, not that that's a sign of it or anything), and I'm now sort of wondering whether or I was mistaking Ni for Ne. My primary acacdemic interest is the history of worldviews, especially from a values-based perspective, which sounds a lot like Ni-Fe (again, that doesn't prove anything, it's just a hint). The more I read about the type (like, you can still be messy and be a J:tongue:) the more it seems like it could be me. I was very humanitarian from a young age, and I have a gift for comforting and consoling others in times of distress. Again, it's not proof or anything, but INTP doesn't quite work for me, and this is the only other one that fits (I love INFP's but I don't relate to Fi and certainly not to Te). What I mistook for Si is, I think, just nostalgia. I don't think I relate to any other part of it, and for that matter I'm not even as nostalgic as I used to be (you would think it would increase with age, but apparently not).

I think my Ti is just very well developed, but then again I'm not sure. It's definitely not my dominant function.

So, I've decided to hang around here for a while and see if the glove fits. Do tell me if you think I'm crazy and there's just nooooo way!:tongue:
Hey, welcome to the party.

We're smarter than our F gives us credit for... :bored:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It's a common misconception. A lot of INFJs think/thought they are either INTJ or INTP. Since you said Fe doesn't drain you, I think it's indeed highly unlikely that you're an INTP. An INTP may become proficient at it through practice, but it will always drain them because it's opposed to their dominant function. Same with Se for INFJ.

But the real question here is, do you think you're a Ni-user: And with dominant Ni at that?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a common misconception. A lot of INFJs think/thought they are either INTJ or INTP. Since you said Fe doesn't drain you, I think it's indeed highly unlikely that you're an INTP. An INTP may become proficient at it through practice, but it will always drain them because it's opposed to their dominant function. Same with Se for INFJ.

But the real question here is, do you think you're a Ni-user: And with dominant Ni at that?
I suspect so, although ENTP is also in my mind. I thought I wasn't for a while because a lot of descrpitions of Ni were just glossed over and the function was simply descibed as "mysterious", but the more I learn about it the more familliar it's beginning to sound.

Like I said, INFJ is just the one that makes the most sense so far. I may just be taking a wild shot in the dark, but I think spending some time with you guys is the best way to find out.

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.:happy:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I suspect so, although ENTP is also in my mind. I thought I wasn't for a while because a lot of descrpitions of Ni were just glossed over and the function was simply descibed as "mysterious", but the more I learn about it the more familliar it's beginning to sound.

Like I said, INFJ is just the one that makes the most sense so far. I may just be taking a wild shot in the dark, but I think spending some time with you guys is the best way to find out.

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.:happy:
Welcome!

I like to think of Ni vs. Ne... as this: Ni is like a series of sketched out bricks on a blueprint. Constantly building out, but in a logical fashion. Ne is the like the sketches for landscape (trees, plants, etc.) on a blueprint. Constantly building out, but subject to change at any moment depending on the conditions on the field.

In all honesty, I have difficulty recognizing the difference between the two in real life.

Good luck in your self-discovery quest!

P.S. We're generally nice, so even if you aren't 'INFJ' we'll accept you and answer your self-discovery questions, haha. :happy:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome!

I like to think of Ni vs. Ne... as this: Ni is like a series of sketched out bricks on a blueprint. Constantly building out, but in a logical fashion. Ne is the like the sketches for landscape (trees, plants, etc.) on a blueprint. Constantly building out, but subject to change at any moment depending on the conditions on the field.

In all honesty, I have difficulty recognizing the difference between the two in real life.

Good luck in your self-discovery quest!

P.S. We're generally nice, so even if you aren't 'INFJ' we'll accept you and answer your self-discovery questions, haha. :happy:
Thanks!

Welcome! :laughing:

You're not the only one to confuse a function or two. For several years I thought of myself as an INTJ. Have you read The Many Faces of INFJ? Twenty bucks says you identify with The Academic given your confusion with INTP.
Cash or credit?:tongue:

I have a lot of the "method actor" in me as well. I have this "I'm going to decide who I am, and by thinking about it and acting it I will become it" complex. I convince myself that I am whoever I want to be. That's why finding out my type has been so hard for me, and used to care far more about what others believe I am than what I "really am inside" (okay, I'm still a bit like that, even though I'm big on uniqueness and self-expression).

Don't know if this is Ni (if it isn't don't be afraid to clear things up) but it sounds a lot like it. I have always had this weird concept that the way people percieve things to be is more important than what "is"; what "is", if it exists at all, exerts so little influence over people's lives it might as well not exist and we would be no better off knowing it, expecially if it hurts us in some way. My Ti has been lately taking me to task on this, creating a kind of existential crisis...checking my ideas for logical consistency really bothers me because on some level I see truth as irrelevant...an idea's effect on people used to be all that mattered to me. Like I never got the people who criticized New Age movements because they were "incorrect" or because "there is no evidence for them". It just seemed like a red herring (to use an INTP word). The rise of Ti has challenged this and has actually unsettled me quite a bit, but mostly I still have this weird "doublethink" process I have experienced since I was very young...I distantly know the "truth", I just don't really care about it.

Can anyone realte?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
We're smarter than our F gives us credit for... :bored:
when will people stop correlating T function to smartness? :angry:
MBTI test is not an IQ test - in the theory the perceiving functions S and N are called irrational, not F
F is just a different value system from T that gives other people more credit than oneself, it values other people more than T
T and F have nothing to do with intelligence

·
Registered
571 Posts
Cash or credit?:tongue:

I have a lot of the "method actor" in me as well. I have this "I'm going to decide who I am, and by thinking about it and acting it I will become it" complex. I convince myself that I am whoever I want to be. That's why finding out my type has been so hard for me, and used to care far more about what others believe I am than what I "really am inside" (okay, I'm still a bit like that, even though I'm big on uniqueness and self-expression).

Don't know if this is Ni (if it isn't don't be afraid to clear things up) but it sounds a lot like it. I have always had this weird concept that the way people percieve things to be is more important than what "is"; what "is", if it exists at all, exerts so little influence over people's lives it might as well not exist and we would be no better off knowing it, expecially if it hurts us in some way. My Ti has been lately taking me to task on this, creating a kind of existential crisis...checking my ideas for logical consistency really bothers me because on some level I see truth as irrelevant...an idea's effect on people used to be all that mattered to me. Like I never got the people who criticized New Age movements because they were "incorrect" or because "there is no evidence for them". It just seemed like a red herring (to use an INTP word). The rise of Ti has challenged this and has actually unsettled me quite a bit, but mostly I still have this weird "doublethink" process I have experienced since I was very young...I distantly know the "truth", I just don't really care about it.

Can anyone realte?
Cash please. :cool:

Yup, I can relate a fair amount. You are who you set your mind to be definitely rings true to me; it's all about the perspective.

Yes, that sounds very much like Ni: our own subjective interpretation of the object and what it represents is far more important than the object itself. Your post is just Ni and Ti bickering at each other. Ti wants to set limits and check for consistency in Ni's findings, ultimately bothering Ni who thinks establishing limits is essentially self defeating, blocking ourselves from discovering our subjective truths; Ni doesn't like to be put in a cage, nor does it like to have doors shut by Ti before it is given adequate time to explore what lies behind them.

I suppose my opinion doesn't really matter, but you do seem to be Ni dominant. I can tell by your comments. You'll fit right in around here. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts