Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my mom is an ISTJ. I think that over all we get along pretty well, but we do tend to clash a lot.

First of all, I find her either completely boring or hilarious. You ISTJ's can be quite funny sometimes. But she’s boring to me whenever she isn’t being funny or ridiculous, which is most of the time. I don't know what makes me think she's a bit boring, it's just her lack of interest in most things other than The Office and her stressful job.

Second, the whole me not m=being neat and tidy thing. I'm not going to say that I'm Mrs. Clean and Organized, but she insists on scrutinizing me for minor things like the dust in the corners of my bathroom floor. I can understand her yelling about my messy room or the dishes I sometimes leave out, but that just seems like a small thing that I should do, but not be yelled at for. Perhaps it was just growing up with my grandma [Mrs. Clean, I swear], that made her this way.

Thirdly, besides getting my good memory and looks from her, she also tends to say that she used to be a lot like me [only more extroverted] as a kid. So, she says that I should go out and play with my friends more or do something productive which is understandable. But I( simply cannot see her as being like me as a kid. I'm very fanciful with my thinking, and open to new ideas, where she's pretty closed minded to most things [like I said before, I find her quite boring].

So, yeah. Leave comments as you wish.

Sorry if this offened you in any way.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm not offended. Our differences is what makes us unique.
As far as her being super-picky, she very well have gotten that from her own mother, like you said.
FWIW, I know that I'm kind of picky about that sort of thing because I see it as "if you let one thing go, what's going to be next on the list of things you let go, and I don't want you living in a pigsty" sort of mentality.
I also admit that sometimes people view us as killjoys because we (well at least ME) tend to concentrate on getting the "work" done first. I can't really relax knowing that there's something that needs done that I haven't gotten to yet, especially if it's within my power to see to it before engaging in "fun" activities.
And also FWIW, I'm not closed to new ideas, but it has to "make sense" to me before I'll adopt it. IOW, "what's the point of the activity" sort of thing. For instance, I don't watch a lot of TV (I cut the cable a couple of years ago) so I don't really see the point in wasting an evening watching the tube. However, if it's explained "you should take an evening and relax/recharge so you can be refreshed, etc." then I might be more agreeable to something I wouldn't previously.
HTH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts