Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a few questions regarding this personality type [mainly to help me understand my dad more].

So, this is not exactly a question, but I want to address it anyway. My Dad can sometimes seem distant, and annoyed, even if he's not. He doesn't really say much when I blabber on about the new physics theories I've learned of, and I'm afraid I'm boring him to death. Sometimes though, even when I'm not blabbering, he still seems distant and angry, as if something we [my ISTJ mom and I, are bothering him].

I find that him being an extrovert, would be the ones "annoying" us, with his mindless babble, but it seems to be the other way around. Sure, there are the times when he's really happy, but that usually seems to be when were out with other people, or when I impress him with my bee-bee gun skills [haha].
I can understand being serious/grumpy looking and distant, but it just seems odd that he should be like this a lot. Perhaps I’m just over reacting because I’m used to having cheery, show your emotions sort of friends, and I’m not used to seeing this behavior on someone else, but it still bothers me.

So, I suppose, my first question is, are you guys naturally distant at times? If so, why?

My second would be, are my mom and I annoying him because we keep him held back from being with his friends and such, or is he just stressed out about work?

Sorry if you understood none of that. It’s a bit incoherent

Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Are you positive he is ESTP? Has he taken a test?

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
If we go on the assumption he is an ESTP then I can honestly say when I get stressed out I tend to be distant or angry. I am not always angry in actual fact but I think it might come out on my face like I am. If I am stressed I can become pretty lost in though.

Why did you mention he might be mad at you guys keeping him from his friends? Is this something he has mentioned in the past?

·
Registered
703 Posts
"He doesn't really say much when I blabber on about the new physics theories I've learned of, and I'm afraid I'm boring him to death."

You probably are :laughing: but I am sure he loves you.

"So, I suppose, my first question is, are you guys naturally distant at times?" No, that usually means we are in the grip.

"My second would be, are my mom and I annoying him because we keep him held back from being with his friends and such, or is he just stressed out about work?"

He's stressed about something, and he probably doesn't want to share it with you. That likely is too bad because with us what triggers the grip is that we feel badly about something and are certain that a negative outcome is going to ensue. INTPs like yourself, who can see so many different outcomes, are one of my favorite types for helping us out of the grip by ridding us of our overly paranoid tunnel vision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts