Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you add or subtract from this description of an INTP?

precise, loves complex systems, logical, detail oriented, concentrated, analytical, easygoing, inflexible about values, reserved, socially awkward, excited about intellectual games, afraid to offend others, no desire to lead or follow, can only work alone, easily flustered when concentration is interrupted, aloof, detached, corrects others grammer, second guesses themselves, afraid of failure, strong need for competence, detached from the environment, assume others overlook details and take things out of context

Also I need a video of an INTP acting typical so I can study the type.

·
Registered
384 Posts

precise, loves complex systems, logical, detail oriented, concentrated, analytical, easygoing, inflexible about values, reserved, socially awkward, excited about intellectual games, afraid to offend others, no desire to lead or follow, can only work alone, easily flustered when concentration is interrupted, aloof, detached, corrects others grammer, second guesses themselves, afraid of failure, strong need for competence, detached from the environment, assume others overlook details and take things out of context

I am reserved, but not around people I am comfortable with. I have a sting desire to lead and none to follow, I wouldn't call myself overly detail oriented. I am more of a big picture person, and I am by no means afraid of offening people, unless doing so will hamper me in the long run.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
15 Posts
I feel like I'm the only INTP who doesn't care about grammar at all. I know mine isn't that great, I'll never do anything to improve it and I'd never correct someone's mistakes. As long as I get the general idea of what someone is trying to say misspellings or missed commas don't bother me.

I don't like the label "socially awkward." I think it's unfair to describe INTPs that way in general. I don't like" inflexible about values" either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel like I'm the only INTP who doesn't care about grammar at all. I know mine isn't that great, I'll never do anything to improve it and I'd never correct someone's mistakes. As long as I get the general idea of what someone is trying to say misspellings or missed commas don't bother me.
I never feel the need to correct grammar either. I'm just looking for information, If I understood what they said, its all good.

I try to make sure my own spelling is correct tho.

I wish I was detail oriented! I'd consider swapping a testicle, for a photographic memory...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Corrects others grammar, lol!

I have never been a fan of type descriptions in general because they focus too much on behaviour, which is malleable. Type is deep, subconscious, and innate. But as a generality...

1) I'd change "can only work alone" to "prefers to work alone". I can assure you I am quite capable of working with others, I'd just rather have absolute control and don't like the responsibility of having to lead.

2) Detail oriented!? Loooool! I can actually see why you would think that we are, but that illusion comes from the precision of Ti. In every other sense, we are primarily concerned with the big picture, as all N types are. INTP's with a well deveoped Si will bend this rule, but Ne still outranks it and so having to deal with details is usually a challenge for us.

3) Strong need for competence is more of an NTJ thing, but some INTP's might identify so I'd leave that on for now. I have heard this said about the type before but I can't say it applies to me. You might want to ask more INTP's to be sure.

4) Corrects others grammar can stay on for the lolz.:crazy: It's true for me, but I've met INTP's who cant tell their posessives from their gerundives.

5) I wouldn't describe myself as aloof, though perhaps I am rare for an INTP in that way. I've always been known as warm and friendly. Fake the Fe: that's my motto!:tongue: But perhaps most of us are. I'd leave it on, but I could object in my case.

6) I hate to admit it, but most INTP's don't care as much as they should about offending others. It is true that many of us hold back because we are afraid we aren't good enough with feeling to judge what other people will feel about what we have to say, but putting that on the list implies something that isn't quite true.

7) Inflexible about values? I thought values were mostly F things? Do you mean principles? That being said there are some moral issues I am very firm on.

In typical INTP style most of these were not absolute reccomendations, but I hope they were at least of some help.:happy:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I would change detail oriented into theory oriented, because there's where our focus on details comes from. We are not at all interested in details if they are correctly incorporated into thinking systems, but we hate it when 'details' are overlooked or incorrectly incorporated because this fucks up the whole system. INTPs always look at the possible implications of ideas once they are incorporated into their thinking systems (models,theories etc.), and if a definition of an idea is misunderstood then this can corrupt their whole thinking system. It's like making a small miscalculation while solving an equation that results in a deviation of, let's say 0,000001. Most people will think "Oh, that's a detail. it's just an insignificant miscalculation.", but when you use that answer to calculate other things within a mathematical model you might get completely wrong answers because of the miscalculation. So, then it's not a detail any more, it's a corrupted mathematical model.

The train of thought in the example above is similar to what goes through an INTP's mind when someone uses a wrong definition during a debate or makes a grammatical error that changes the meaning of a sentence. To others these errors are details, but the INTP has seen the implications of those 'details' unfold in his thinking systems and knows that the error can lead to corrupted thinking. Thus the INTP corrects the other, who (as a result of the to him meaningless correction) thinks the INTP is too precise about the details. In fact the INTP wasn't worried about the details at all, he simply understood that the implication of inaccurate details can lead to misunderstanding, corrupted thinking, twisted views on reality etc. The INTP simply thinks on a larger scale, but he's not more detail oriented.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yep, think it's been said, but forget precise and detail-oriented. That's more INTJ.

I do have a lot of grammar bugbears, but I have some grammar problems myself. (I hate apostrophes in odd places and misuse of their, there, they're etc)

"can only work alone" replace with "prefers to work alone". We aren't work and social outcasts!:laughing:

Inflexible about values - am assuming this is their own values. I am actually fascinated by other people's values and willing to "process" them, even if I don't adopt them.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Yep, think it's been said, but forget precise and detail-oriented. That's more INTJ.
Well, we're definately not detail-oriented, but we are precise...

"Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed. "

Seems pretty precise to me. But I guess you could be an INTP and not develop that skill-set (it is sort of useless:tongue:)!

Actually, looking things over I could see why we would would appear detail oriented to others. When we think details, however, we think of dates, names, facts, and all the troubles we have remembering them (although I think INTP's are supposed to be the best of the N's at doing this). When I read a book that has too many numbers, dates, or other data points in it, my brain goes fuzzy. I have to concentrate very hard to commit them to memory. I once described my brain like a zip file before learning about MBTI; I remember things by stripping them down to their basic points, and then "unpack" them later using intuition and logic. I don't do well with facts or fine points irrelevant to the big picture. I think that is what the INTP's mean when we say we are not detail oriented. But if by "detailed" you mean, "precise in thought", yes, we are. I wouldn't put it on the list though, because it sends the wrong impression.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts

I would remove the part about being inflexible about values. That's attributed to unhealthy Fi.

I would change socially awkward to inclined to be sociallly awkward. Not all INTPs are socially awkward but I do think they are more inclined to be that way compared to most other types.

I would change afraid to offend others to may unintentionally offend others.

I would change can only work alone to usually prefers to work alone.

I don't think all INTPs are necessarily flustered when their concentration is interrupted. It's true for me but I can't speak for all INTPs.

Corrects others grammar is overly stereotypical. Not all INTPs care that much about grammar.

In the last sentence, I would take out assumes others leave out details. INTPs aren't always that well aware of the details themselves, so how would could they assume others overlook details that they themselves are not aware of?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I would change detail oriented into theory oriented, because there's where our focus on details comes from. We are not at all interested in details if they are correctly incorporated into thinking systems, but we hate it when 'details' are overlooked or incorrectly incorporated because this fucks up the whole system. INTPs always look at the possible implications of ideas once they are incorporated into their thinking systems (models,theories etc.), and if a definition of an idea is misunderstood then this can corrupt their whole thinking system. It's like making a small miscalculation while solving an equation that results in a deviation of, let's say 0,000001. Most people will think "Oh, that's a detail. it's just an insignificant miscalculation.", but when you use that answer to calculate other things within a mathematical model you might get completely wrong answers because of the miscalculation. So, then it's not a detail any more, it's a corrupted mathematical model.

The train of thought in the example above is similar to what goes through an INTP's mind when someone uses a wrong definition during a debate or makes a grammatical error that changes the meaning of a sentence. To others these errors are details, but the INTP has seen the implications of those 'details' unfold in his thinking systems and knows that the error can lead to corrupted thinking. Thus the INTP corrects the other, who (as a result of the to him meaningless correction) thinks the INTP is too precise about the details. In fact the INTP wasn't worried about the details at all, he simply understood that the implication of inaccurate details can lead to misunderstanding, corrupted thinking, twisted views on reality etc. The INTP simply thinks on a larger scale, but he's not more detail oriented.
Well, we're definately not detail-oriented, but we are precise...

"Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed. "

Seems pretty precise to me. But I guess you could be an INTP and not develop that skill-set (it is sort of useless:tongue:)!

Actually, looking things over I could see why we would would appear detail oriented to others. When we think details, however, we think of dates, names, facts, and all the troubles we have remembering them (although I think INTP's are supposed to be the best of the N's at doing this). When I read a book that has too many numbers, dates, or other data points in it, my brain goes fuzzy. I have to concentrate very hard to commit them to memory. I once described my brain like a zip file before learning about MBTI; I remember things by stripping them down to their basic points, and then "unpack" them later using intuition and logic. I don't do well with facts or fine points irrelevant to the big picture. I think that is what the INTP's mean when we say we are not detail oriented. But if by "detailed" you mean, "precise in thought", yes, we are. I wouldn't put it on the list though, because it sends the wrong impression.

Excellent analyses here Elwood and Nevermore. This is precisely why others sometimes think I'm detail oriented and why I previously thought of myself as that. Truth is I'm not so detail oriented, especially if you think of it in terms dates, names, and facts. I have to work hard at remembering details that don't fit into some larger picture. The exception is those that I find particularly interesting for whatever reason or stand out in some large way. I also do poor on those memory tests where you have look at a picture for X amount of time and then you are asked questions about the details you just saw. The questions are usually things like the color of someone's shirt or whether someone was carrying a purse and where exactly it was held. I don't naturally pay much attention to those sorts of things.

·
Registered
672 Posts

See what you mean, but I guess I'm seeing too much precision in the word, um, precise. It has an air of finality about it, that we are always accurate and always correct. The bolded bit I hope emphasises what I mean. We base on logic and experience the likely accuracy.

If only there was a word for "seemingly-lucky-with-bursts-of-brilliance-with-inferred-logic-with-a-likely-outcome-and-sometimes-wrong"

The Greeks have a word for everything. I'm sure there's one somewhere.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts