Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys.... I've seen tons of threads now where INTPs say they do drugs and claim it's got to do with their type...
I want to find out if that's because they are American (U.S.), teenagers or INTPs.

I know 7 INTPs in real life, 3 of them from Germany and 4 from England.
Here's a list of their drug habits:
German INTP girl, 20s, used to smoke (tobacco, not pot) and drink quite a bit but doesn't do drugs
German INTP guy: 30s, never smoked, hardly drinks.. maybe a pint of beer or a glass of wine at a pub and that's it
German INTP guy: 40s, never smoked, doesn't drink at all, cringes just at the idea of people drinking

English INTP guy, 50ish: drinks regularly to unwind in the evenings, it seems to be a bit of a habit, but he doesn't drink excessive amounts, doesn't smoke, doesn't do drugs
INTP lady, 40s: got drunk only a couple of times in her life, doesn't smoke
INTP lady, 40s: same
INTP lady, 60s: doesn't do drugs, doesn't smoke, only drinks socially on special occasions (New Year's Eve etc.), would be worried about the "brain damage" that drugs or drinking can lead to.

So.... what about you lot? Do you drink or do drugs? How old are you? What country are you from? Why do you do drugs?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I've also found the INTPs and drugs part a bit odd, I haven't really seen the connection.

Anyway, I've never done drugs, never smoked, and rarely drink.
People who do drugs and drink are slightly more likely to be of the more intelligent sort, meaning that they try "evolutionarily novel" things. Since INTPs apparently have(or think they have) a large number of intelligent people in their numbers, they must be more likely to experiment.

In fact, I saw some theory claiming that that's all intelligence was, a propensity to be evolutionarily novel. That's why smart people navigate society better than dumb people, because they are dealing with an evolutionarily novel environment.

But, you know, I dabble. I drink, I've done hallucinogens, I've smoked pot.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I like to drink but not to take drugs (recreational ones, i like some for headaches)... i dont know why, it has to be in the subconscious or something, because i have this strange feeling that drugs its a kind of cowardly way to evade reality or a symptom of weakness... maybe its because generaly, the junkies are acomodated people that have the money to do drugs for fun, probably something attached to a profund hate to people who didnt fight against nothing and have everything in their lives.... and only have fun, and search for fun.

The strange thing is that poor people that do drugs (pot, crack) on my country dont bother me at all... maybe its because they live in a dangerous enviroment and probably fight for them...

In resume, and creating a archetype or stereotype, i dont like sluty girls and girly boys with money, that take drugs (cocaine, LSD, heroin) because its fun and dont have worries or responsabilities.

Yeahp thats it, subconscious i say.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have experimented with softer drugs in high school (not for me) and I drink very moderately on occasion, but never drink to get wasted. Some people might see me as anti-drugs because I so often argue the dangers of not only alcohol abuse but marijuana abuse as well, although really I'm just pro-information and pro-moderation. I'm just sick of heavy drug/alcohol users rationalizing their addictions and trying to convince others to come down to their level of self-abuse in order to further validate their addictions as unharmful and "normal".

INTPs may be more inclined to reject the standard views on drugs and alcohol that our parents and schools teach us, but then we're also more likely to come to our own conclusions based on reason which are just as often against usage as for.

People who do drugs and drink are slightly more likely to be of the more intelligent sort, meaning that they try "evolutionarily novel" things.
That is by far the stupidest thing I've read all week. Sorry to be so blunt but self-righteous drug users are one of my biggest pet peeves.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A day without a joint... is one sad day indeed. Everyone else can keep the booze though, it's toxic in every sense of the word. Though I have tried many other thing's, some I would try again and some I wouldn't.

Call it foolish but I'd rather let my personal experience and reason decide what is right for me. Some may be satisfied with the opinions of others, but not me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pot. I drink very little. I don't really like how alcohol makes me feel, even though I'm definitely more fun when I'm drunk.

Less and less pot as I get older. I'm trying to be all responsible and shit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
People who do drugs and drink are slightly more likely to be of the more intelligent sort, meaning that they try "evolutionarily novel" things. Since INTPs apparently have(or think they have) a large number of intelligent people in their numbers, they must be more likely to experiment.

In fact, I saw some theory claiming that that's all intelligence was, a propensity to be evolutionarily novel. That's why smart people navigate society better than dumb people, because they are dealing with an evolutionarily novel environment.

But, you know, I dabble. I drink, I've done hallucinogens, I've smoked pot.
I'm not saying your wrong, but I still don't like this post.

There are some seriously dumb motherfuckers who smoke pot. Lets not equate something thats supposed to be fun with intelligence somehow. It seems self-congratulatory.

Note: I smoke pot.

Also Note: If you read this in a hostile tone, you read it wrong.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I'm not the drugs or booze type at all. I understand how anyone can be curious about it, but I'm not much of a risk taker.

I should add that I'm 18 and from the US.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'm not saying your wrong, but I still don't like this post.

There are some seriously dumb motherfuckers who smoke pot. Lets not equate something thats supposed to be fun with intelligence somehow. It seems self-congratulatory.

Note: I smoke pot.

Also Note: If you read this in a hostile tone, you read it wrong.
Maybe you didn't notice the probability I included. It's just the popular theory right now. That's not my position but instead an explanation of what I could see the reasoning to be.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I have experimented with softer drugs in high school (not for me) and I drink very moderately on occasion, but never drink to get wasted. Some people might see me as anti-drugs because I so often argue the dangers of not only alcohol abuse but marijuana abuse as well, although really I'm just pro-information and pro-moderation. I'm just sick of heavy drug/alcohol users rationalizing their addictions and trying to convince others to come down to their level of self-abuse in order to further validate their addictions as unharmful and "normal".

INTPs may be more inclined to reject the standard views on drugs and alcohol that our parents and schools teach us, but then we're also more likely to come to our own conclusions based on reason which are just as often against usage as for.

That is by far the stupidest thing I've read all week. Sorry to be so blunt but self-righteous drug users are one of my biggest pet peeves.
It's not a rationalization, just from a few articles I've read. I understand that pot and drugs can be harmful but I just don't care. It's like banning controversial books because some people don't like them. <now that is a rationalization

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sometimes I drink...coffee.
Teenager, US. The main reason I use this mild recreational drug is because mochas are delicious. Someday I dream of turning it into a social activity as well, by drinking coffee with another human while I acknowledge their existence somehow, perhaps by way of friendly conversation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maybe you didn't notice the probability I included. It's just the popular theory right now. That's not my position but instead an explanation of what I could see the reasoning to be.
Fair enough. I've read those theories as well. It could be true, but it does no one any good to act under such assumptions. Thats all I'm saying. And with all the vacuous crap about how beneficial and spiritual hallucinogens are, it seems like dangerous territory. :)

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I am a thirty-two-year-old American. I experimented with drugs before age nineteen. I only tried them because I was curious about the effect they would have, but I'm unable to form addictions so quit them immediately after experiencing them. Now I don't even touch alcohol.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.