Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hai guys!

Before signing up here, I was 100% certain that I was INTP. But, pushing my research further has left me in doubt.

Everything I read about INTPs fits me perfectly... yet...

I feel I may have some of the extrovert capabilities of an ENTP.

I'll let you guys be the judges... here are the points that make me uncertain :

-I tend to be socially awkward with new people, or people I don't feel comfortable with. I don't like to initiate social interactions with them. I really hate going around a room and introducing myself / saying hi to everyone (except the people I know well or those I feel I have chemistry with). Even though I hate it, I still try my best to stay true to "social" conventions, and will force myself to do those things. Especially if there are women :)

-Speaking of women, I really suck at breaking the ice with them. I'll usually start over-analyzing my behavior, which makes all my speech skills disappear. Even my laugh becomes stupid-sounding. However, especially in one on one scenarios, once I start feeling in control, I can usually let my true self come out, and am often quite charming (but only if I feel the other person is worthy of such a treatment).

-When in a group of extroverts (most of my friends are extroverts, strangely enough!), I'm usually not the center of attention. I participate in conversations, but I tend to be quieter than others. However, when I speak, it usually comes with some "BANG" : a detailed opinion / explanation or an unexpected (often vulgar) comment / joke.

-When in a group of introverts, the above tendency shifts in the opposite direction. I often find myself being the center of attention, and I tend to lead conversations.

-I am a happy person. Even when I am sad, I am still somewhat happy. I find great joy in little things ; just thinking about the universe and all the possibilities is enough to make me smile. I do feel empty and "alone in the world" at times, though (worst feeling ever, I'd much rather be sad).

-Even though I suck at new social interactions, I have plenty of self-confidence. I have great trust in my judgement and in my capabilities. I also work really hard at improving myself. I don't like to brag, though ; I really hate when people do that. However, when I am drunk, I tend to do it occasionally (though not in a douchebaggish way) ; it's not that I want to brag, but I feel the need to express my confidence and my accomplishments, since I never do it when I'm sober.

-I am a master of my emotions. I can rationalize and manipulate them. When they do slip out, though, they tend to be quite powerful.

-When I am with people too often, I tend to suffocate and feel the need to take some time for myself. However, when I feel like seeing people and no one is available, I tend to feel empty and lonely.

-I'm an outgoing person. I like leaving my home for adventure. I love meeting new people, experimenting new hobbies. I also really enjoy going to bars / clubs and get drunk / dance.

-I also love (just as much) staying home and playing vidya / watching series all day and night.

- ~80% of my close friends are extroverts.

-I don't mind doing stupid shit in public when I don't know anyone (I love riding my cart at the supermarket, lol)

-While I am not prone to try and get it, I do love attention.

So... what am I? My social awkwardness and difficulty to understand social conventions seems to point towards introversion, but if you forget about that, everything else seems pretty balanced. Maybe I'm an INTP who has learned to be extroverted? Or am I a somewhat introverted ENTP?

How can I figure out which of Ti or Ne is my primary function?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

PS.: English is not my main language, so there may be a few grammatical errors here and there. If you point them out I will gladly correct them ; I'm too lazy to revise, lol

Reactions: King Marcy

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
l don't even force myself to do some of those things :laughing:

l've always wondered where l should settle on exchanging pleasantries, when l was at my most extroverted, it wasn't exactly like l could just skip them altogether because l'd be very clearly greeting some people openly and shunning others...which l still do.

l have to maintain Fe efficiency. l think l somehow pull off a level of disengaged extroversion that allows me to do so, and this is partially a side effect of simply not having the ability to be spread too far.

l think you do sound ENTPish, or at least have well developed Fe, some INTP's have extremely well developed Fe and will not be able to function without the typical amount of downtime so it's not the deciding factor...

Although it greatly influences outward appearances.

Reactions: tacosauce

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel pleasantries are the best way to make the "awkward" disappear. It also helps see who is receptive to you and who isn't. Those who aren't don't necessarily need to be shunned, but you can't really waste any of your social momentum on them, they'll just eat it, consciously or not.

What do you mean by Fe efficiency? Like, how is someone who is Fe efficient like? I'm still kinda new to all this stuff so, for me, that's a little hard to visualize.

It's true my Fe is probably well developed ; I have spent A LOT of time working on understanding and controlling my emotions, and have learned to respect them. While they are not rational, they are what makes us human. They give... "flavor" to the outside world. They have also enabled me to understand people better ; I comprehend pretty well other people's feelings. The thing I really have a problem with is social conventions and catching subtle signals. I often ask myself such questions : how hard should I try to say hello to this person, how long is too much eye contact, how much space should I leave between both our bodies, etc. It's so... imprecise. It varies from person to person and from situation to situation. I can't calculate this! This comes from my desire to be well-perceived by people. I want people to like me so I tend to over-analyze things rather than just go with the flow.

For the record, I did a Cognitive Function test. It seems likely that I am an INTP. Here is the result :

Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
Ti - Ni - Ne - Si - Te - Fi - Fe - Se

·
Registered
523 Posts
What helped me figure out between ENTP and INTP was examining the inferior functions. What are you worse at? Si or Fe? For me the answer is most definitely Si lol. Another difference I have noticed is that ENTPs tend to see what things/people are good at and INTPs tend to see what things/people are bad at. I am not saying that ENTPs are more positive people than INTPs, that depends on the person.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What helped me figure out between ENTP and INTP was examining the inferior functions. What are you worse at? Si or Fe? For me the answer is most definitely Si lol. Another difference I have noticed is that ENTPs tend to see what things/people are good at and INTPs tend to see what things/people are bad at. I am not saying that ENTPs are more positive people than INTPs, that depends on the person.
It's hard to say... I feel like I am "not that bad" at both. If anything, I'd say my least developed function is Se.

I think I'm better at seeing what people are good at, but I can also easily point out if someone sucks at something.

Pretty confusing!

I do feel I think like an INTP, though. Maybe I should call myself an "extroverted INTP".

·
Registered
971 Posts
There is a lot of information on the distinction of both on the internet. Maybe that will help you. Just google ''ENTP vs INTP'' or whatever.

I'm personally leaning INTP for you though. An INTP can be ''outgoing'', that's not a problem.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
It's hard to say... I feel like I am "not that bad" at both. If anything, I'd say my least developed function is Se.

I think I'm better at seeing what people are good at, but I can also easily point out if someone sucks at something.

Pretty confusing!

I do feel I think like an INTP, though. Maybe I should call myself an "extroverted INTP".
Look at the inferior functions for both and see which one causes you more trouble in life..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look at the inferior functions for both and see which one causes you more trouble in life..
Kinda hard to figure out. There isn't much that is causing me trouble in life at the moment. My biggest problem is my laziness, second one is my inexperience with flirting ; I wish I hadn't spent the last 10 years in two crappy relationships, I used to have game, lol

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Kinda hard to figure out. There isn't much that is causing me trouble in life at the moment. My biggest problem is my laziness, second one is my inexperience with flirting ; I wish I hadn't spent the last 10 years in two crappy relationships, I used to have game, lol
Still points to INTP :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still points to INTP :)
Yup! The evidence is good enough for me! INTP it is :)

Funny thing, haha, whenever I do tests I always get INTJ... which I sure as fuck am not!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts