Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it is widely known, INTP females are one of the rarest type/gender combinations. It varies with the source, but it is a close call between INTP females, INTJ females and INFJ males, but perhaps the INTP females are the rarest because the male - female ratio is even more unbalanced: There are less INTJs and INFJs overall, but the disparity is only 1:2 instead of 1:4 for INTPs. In short: only 0.25% or something in that magnitude.

In the fictional / TV INTP character thread was stated that there are actually none. But I looked on Youtube and I found several who clearly state that they are INTPs. But these generally aren't on active channels, mostly one-of-a-kind-videos. But I found some which are INTPs too, since for a few years now I try to guess the type of a person by comparing their charisma. But that is no correct science, so I would appreciate opinions:

Tibees:

For Evan and Katelyn, I think he is an INFJ and she an INTP. It is most obvious because his motoric skills are much better as hers .. which is one characteristic of the Se/Si difference. In contrast, she might be the more creative (Ne) one.

Or Karen Puzzles - she might have a lot of Fe, but I don't think she is an Extravert. Just look. If you live in L.A. and you are outside your home, you'll get a tan … adding that to having the time to do 5,000 piece puzzles.

Of course, even if INTPs are rare in the general population, they agglomerate in science:

Of course, these are the INTPs with a lot of Extroverted Feeling. If Fe is weaker, the distinction between INTJs and INTPs is much more difficult. My observation is that you can have a lot of Fe and still be an Introvert.

As for the INTPs who state their type, I have a list. Which is still not much with less than a dozen entries for ALL of Youtube. And to add something to How do the other types perceive the INTP woman? : As an INTJ male, I found out that for me it is possibly the only viable option for an relationship … but unfortunately my career choice was way before I discovered MBTI and so it didn't include the fact that INTPs either hide in their homes or labs, making that an almost impossible task. I never met females like these in RL ...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey ... do not forget that intp's are the best chameleons of mbti and do not make that mistake , their Fe is not that high actually most of them get higher Fi than Fe in tests but most of them can abstract themself and see the bigger picture which in a superficial sense makes them appear as "socials".

But Ti and Ne are absolutely dominant ...if you don't stimulate their Ne you won't never see the rest of their real funtions... just a social mask which is just a part of them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you can say that so generally. What are the other possibilities? They are clearly Intuitives and displaying Fe, so that leaves us only with four: INFJ, INTP, ENFJ und ENTP. For several reasons, I think you can also rule out the Extroverts, mainly because as a rule, Introverts generate their self-picture from themselves while Extroverts depend on what others think about them. That has the interesting side-effect that Extraverts are far more reserved about what they show about themselves, because it might tarnish their public picture. Introverts more or less don't care what others might think about them. I cannot really explain it because it is a gut feeling, but the difference between INFJs and INTPs aura is that the Ts have more of an "edge" to it while the Fs are more "motherly".

It took me a while, but I was able to type an ISTP who lead me on a false path because he is a very good and successful salesman instead of crafter. So, how much of the Fe is showing really depends on the person and in case of the INTPs, the enthusiasm of Ne might boost that external picture.

On the other hand, I have looked for Kristen Stewart which is also said to be an INTP. But in her case, there is so little outward appearance that you cannot tell if you see the Ne/Fe of INTP or the Te/Se of an INTJ.

·
Registered
INTP
1,938 Posts
Tibees - I can't relate to her attitude towards study (using the word attitude indifferently, not negatively). I typically enjoy the learning process of things and don't care so much about grades or the piece of paper. For example, I once took a subject I knew I was terrible at so I could improve. I got an average grade (the teacher wasn't good - I had been expecting to learn more) and was only annoyed that we weren't taught in such a way that I would learn enough to get a good grade and feel more competent at the subject. However this could just be her; we're all different.

For the second - Katelyn and Evan, I know that an INFJ definitely brings out the side of me that Katelyn is showing. I feel I can relate to her a lot more.

Karen Puzzles - I don't have the patience to do puzzles. I did many as a child. As an adult, no. I have friends who do puzzles - they may be INFPs.

The PhD girl reminds me of someone I know who is a very different personality to me, as in, the person I know would just accept things without the constant questioning which an INTP is prone to.

The last could be INTP-like in the way she explains things.

So basically the second and the last I would guess most likely to be INTPs, but I'm not an expert; I'm simply saying what I relate to and what I don't relate to, and many things can influence how we talk and think and behave, not just personality type.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is interesting. A often heard point against MBTI / Big5 is that it restricts people in narrow boxes. But I strongly disagree because the range of how people can behave even if they share the same type is quite big. But to be really sure of the type, you have to study the person very thoroughly, because there is always the possibility that the outward persona doesn't match the real self, sometimes even because they want to be somebody else. And it is a range, for example said behavior of Tibees seems to be on the line between INTJ and INTP while Katelyn is perhaps on the line between INTP and INFJ. And how accentuated the functions are is also quite different and someone with lower amounts of Fe might look totally different to someone with higher amounts. As an INTJ, i am definitively an Ni-Te user, but I also use Ne and Ti, but with a slightly lesser amount. Fe is more or less completely absent.

So, the typings are speculation, but based on additional information said persons might be just INTPs. For example, the manual dexterity of Katelyn is clearly less than Evans and that is an indicator of Se. That matches another observation that sports and physical activity is not on the top of the list of most INTPs while INFJs often do that stuff. But i still think, based on the speech pattern that she is a thinker rather than a feeler.

The same is true for Karen. Here I know that she does a ton of other clearly creative stuff in her professions which rules out a Sensor type. Sure, she expresses an incredibly amount of Fe, but I would still place her as introvert. But as I said: The only way to be sure would be a very intense talk lasting several hours, given that you get true and honest answers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Artisans, yes. Truly creative? I don't think as much. Because the difference between Intuitive and Sensor is how you experience the future or your imagination. Sensors are too much grunded in the present to have that far-fetched imagination, where Intuitives live perhaps more in the realm of possibilities than in reality.

In my experience, ISTP types for example are very much able to come up with a improvised build out of materials they have inside their reach, But N-Types come to the worksite expecting all kinds of improvisations because they lived already through that problem in their imagination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts