Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i just joined here , and just discovered I was INTP yesterday. So it's all fresh news to me.

But just off the bat I am guessing that INTPs, upon discovering they are INTPs, tend to rejoice or revel in this discovery. But instead of getting down to the nuts and bolts of it, in a way that would bring about beneficial change in their lives, they instead just continue to revel in the fascination and detail. This, potentially, could make them even more INTP than they were before they discovered the label in the first place.

Whereas with the right approach, the INTP diagnosis gives you a pretty explicit set of personal conditions, with which you should set new ground rules for (or more appropriately against, probably), in order to change them for your own betterment.

I just get this feeling that people have found their 'group' and this normalization actually works against them, against their attempts to come up with real solutions in for their ways, behaviours and successes.

I'm trying to look out for myself here, and not get washed away by the normality of being normalized through this INTP idea. But again, I'm new to it. This is just an initial thought.

Oh yeah, and in connection to the title, flexibilty (can we change and be decisive, motivated), or is this INTP lark set in stone?!?

Any feedback is welcome :happy:

Cheers,
Will

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Hey all, i just joined here , and just discovered I was INTP yesterday. So it's all fresh news to me.

But just off the bat I am guessing that INTPs, upon discovering they are INTPs, tend to rejoice or revel in this discovery.
So you've discovered you're an INTP, eh?

Our condolences to your family and friends.

Welcome to the harsh virtual reality of gloom and cynicism.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I completely agree. I think it's especially visible on this forum. I see lots of "INTPs" who sound as if they're faking it just to fit their description. I'm sure it's not just INTPs either. I've done it a few times too, mostly when I first found out and was fascinated by the accuracy of the description, however I could tell I was faking some things so I stopped. I think that there are a lot of fake INTPs on this forum, fake any types actually, who read a description and decided they liked it.

Also it definitely is possible to be a motivated INTP, well at least in a subject your interested in. I've found that for any other person, their motivation level is at about 40% for anything and at like 60-70% for their favorite subject or interest while for an INTP it's like 20% for most things and 90% for what their interested in. (not actual numbers just estimates). I suppose it's possible to be more motivated than that, I'm not, but if you wanna be go for it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Although being INTP can be cool (especially to ourselves ahah) and they can come up with very creative or revolutionary ideas, they are usually not well viewed by the majority of society (generally speaking). Especially if they judge us by outward behaviors only.

However, good thing we can often tolerate this by simply not giving any fucks (we are probably one of the best types at doing that if we want). It can still be annoying from time to time though.

But yea, I was certainly fascinated for weeks when I learned about my type (I still am in a sense).

·
Registered
971 Posts
So you've discovered you're an INTP, eh?

Our condolences to your family and friends.

Welcome to the harsh virtual reality of gloom and cynicism.
This is random as hell, but is there like a scientific research going on at the moment that states that, very often, the first reply in a thread (even if a serious subject) will be either witty, sarcastic, funny, random, short, written without the person having read the whole first post or some or all of the above?

It must just be an Internet Law. I'm late to realizing this maybe.

EDIT: This is neither a good or bad thing (more good than bad though) , just amusing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I found out I was INTP, I was ecstatic. I was like "I'm not the only one who feels this way!!!!?" I studied it like crazy. It's been extremely helpful when trying to understand people who are diifferent than me and helped me to see things from their point of view.

At the time though, I was working A job I hated (big surprise) and fell into a intp "I hate my life" depression. I excused a lot of things with the attitude "It's not my fault I'm not motivated/ hate talking to people/loathe repetition and redundancy/can't ever seem to be on time/ etc." It really put me in a rut and I actually become even More Intoverted and INTP than I was because I had stopped trying to be someone that I wasn't.

However, I eventually got over myself and realized that my awful attitude what limiting me to my weaknesses. I mean hello, life is all about personal growth. Just because I have innate weakness, does not give me the excuse to give up on life and become a stereo-type. So I started pushing myself to go outside my comfort zones and put effort into things I didn't like and to develop my weakness. And I'm a much better person for it.

My advice is to first learn what all the functions mean and the differences between their extrverted/introverted forms. (example; Intrverted Intuition/Ni vs. Extroverted Intuition/Ne) Also, learn from other types. follow their examples and let them help you to develop the things you are weak in.

Also, don't fall into the pitfall that a lot of people fall into by believing that because you are intp, that you do not posses the same capabilities as people with different typing than yourself. It's like saying that just because you are right handed, you cannot use your left hand. A type is not a limitation, but a muscular preference in your brain. Everyone's brain possesses an N side and an S side. But if you are INTP, then your brain is just "N handed" know what I mean? And just like strength and coordination between hands, different areas of your brain can and should be developed in order to be a well developed and well rounded person. And just like any muscle, if there's no pain, then there's no gain. It's not always fun developing your weaker functions, but in the end you'll be a better and stronger person and be glad that you did ;)

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
People tend to build their own mental prisons out of a multitude of trivial systems they may encounter. The label of INTP and what it entails is no exception to that rule. You seem to know better already and such it is completely within your hands as to how you're going to use your obtained knowledge - settling for who/what you are never moving an inch due to ignorance and a label that justifies a rigid behaviour or steadily moving towards completion (or a better self for that matter).

You'll find both versions of people within any arbitrary group out there, may it be clubs, churches, religous get together or some nerds hittin' it up in some club playing Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh remaining within their circle.

It's not so much the system's fault but rather the human psyche's that tends to abuse whatever it can get to justify ones views, behaviour and/or actions - however shallow some excuses are at any given time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is random as hell, but is there like a scientific research going on at the moment that states that, very often, the first reply in a thread (even if a serious subject) will be either witty, sarcastic, funny, random, short, written without the person having read the whole first post or some or all of the above?

It must just be an Internet Law. I'm late to realizing this maybe.

EDIT: This is neither a good or bad thing (more good than bad though) , just amusing.
lol, I do notice that everytime I look at a new post I almost always have to skim over the the first reply to see the serious replies below. It almost always is short, unhelpful, sarcastic, or completely unrelated to the original subject. And a lot of times the posts below will continue talking about the above mentioned post and fill the thread with comments and thoughts that are completely unrelated to the thread's original purpose. For example, the post I am now posting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I'm new here too.
This, potentially, could make them even more INTP than they were before they discovered the label in the first place.

Whereas with the right approach, the INTP diagnosis gives you a pretty explicit set of personal conditions, with which you should set new ground rules for (or more appropriately against, probably), in order to change them for your own betterment.
I don't know. I'm new to the MBTI (well, not entirely new; just new to the interest of it... I've had to take the test many times since I was in middle school and I've always gotten the same results, but lately I've been interested in understanding what the results really mean because I want to use MBTI for my job, which is people-oriented). Anyway! What was I talking about? Oh, right. So I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to the details; this is all personal conjecture based on my observations and the books I've been reading so far.

I guess I see a difference between being an extreme INTP and an unhealthy INTP. So I'm not convinced that being more or less INTP would necessarily lead to a betterment or deterioration of character (though I would love for you to convince me otherwise!). That makes it sound like being in the middle is the best place to be, of which I'm also not convinced. It's possible to work on your strengths while maintaining a recognition of other methods and viewpoints. (Forgive me if I misconstrued anything you said.)

Oh yeah, and in connection to the title, flexibilty (can we change and be decisive, motivated), or is this INTP lark set in stone?!?
I agree with Keirsey when he writes that form cannot be self-changing. I believe we can work on areas in which we're weak, but it's hard (if not impossible) to deliberately change your natural preferences without any outside catalyst. And as far as it applies to me -- well, why would I want to change my form so drastically? Why would I try to make myself want something that I naturally don't want, especially if I can make my strengths work for me so that I'm leading the life I want to lead?

I completely agree. I think it's especially visible on this forum. I see lots of "INTPs" who sound as if they're faking it just to fit their description. I'm sure it's not just INTPs either. I've done it a few times too, mostly when I first found out and was fascinated by the accuracy of the description, however I could tell I was faking some things so I stopped. I think that there are a lot of fake INTPs on this forum, fake any types actually, who read a description and decided they liked it.
The idea that being INTP might actually be desirable to a considerable number of people makes me smile, if only because it doesn't seem to have been very attractive to the majority of people around me throughout my life. I do notice that now that I'm familiar enough with the test that I know how to answer each question to get a certain result, I find myself automatically marking the INTP answers. Maybe that's what OP is getting at -- that we're closed off to other possibilities of being when we know what box we fit into? I suppose that's a natural consequence any time you bring something to consciousness (i.e., it becomes studied and practiced), though it certainly doesn't have to be that way.

(This is just my feedback; hope it was helpful and not nonsensically pedantic.)

·
Registered
971 Posts
lol, I do notice that everytime I look at a new post I almost always have to skim over the the first reply to see the serious replies below. It almost always is short, unhelpful, sarcastic, or completely unrelated to the original subject. And a lot of times the posts below will continue talking about the above mentioned post and fill the thread with comments and thoughts that are completely unrelated to the thread's original purpose. For example, the post I am now posting?
I guess we must really be INTPs to use our time to ponder about things like this...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not giving any fucks seems to have the lions share of the solution for sure. Through not giving any fucks our defences would drop and we'd start giving more, i'm guessing. Either way the not giving fucks approach can only be of benefit. It should lessen the load of mulling over even more stuff. It is fascinating

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the infernal welcome! Cynicism must be one of the few things immune to the radiation of eternal damnation , good to see hell trumped

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes.

But seriously, yes. It all depends on what people want to make of it.

For me, this forum has helped me to understand that I am not the only oddball in the world. In my personal world, I am the only oddball and find it fascinating how people try to understand me by conventional methods. I also have been seeing where my shortcomings may be and what I might improve upon.

As for being "fake" INTP, I don't understand that concept. I get it to a degree, but I don't think one can really judge how "true" or "fake" another person is in their personality type. It may be that they are stronger or weaker in a certain function than you are, or they could have mis-typed themselves, still having to discover their true type. It is just a guideline to how a stereotypical INTP (or whatever type) is and not the hard rule. There will always be quirks and exceptions.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The best thing you can possibly do with the knowledge that you prefer Ti and Ne, is to identify your weaknesses and begin addressing them. It's a strong tendency, and pretty evident on these forums, that a lot of types use their knowledge as an excuse.

So I agree with your post, and wish you the best of luck as an INTP :)

Also, welcome.

·
Registered
290 Posts
INTPs can be flexible or rigid. There are subtypes within INTP.

I know of INTPs who gather data for weeks or months, analyze it and then come up with a decision. I also have known INTPs who are prejudice, think they are always right, and feel they have "the one single absolute version of the truth" and everyone else is somehow inferior.

This can be a matter of how developed a particular INTP is. However, I think it has to do with perhaps other characteristics (based on what? genes? childhood? I don't know). Some INTPs are just really aggressive. I have met INTPs who are presented with facts and data that contradict their position on something and still stick with their ideas and act like they are somehow superior regardless of any evidence provided to them. Some of them don't change even when they are 40 something years old.

This is actually a common question for other personalities. There are subtypes in any personality types. However, there is usually a tendency as well. I haven't gathered data and counted, but my general "sense" is that most INTPs are actually pretty laid back people. More INTPs are probably flexible. It goes with being a P and most NPs as well.

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts

But just off the bat I am guessing that INTPs, upon discovering they are INTPs, tend to rejoice or revel in this discovery. But instead of getting down to the nuts and bolts of it, in a way that would bring about beneficial change in their lives, they instead just continue to revel in the fascination and detail. This, potentially, could make them even more INTP than they were before they discovered the label in the first place.

I just get this feeling that people have found their 'group' and this normalization actually works against them, against their attempts to come up with real solutions in for their ways, behaviours and successes.

I'm trying to look out for myself here, and not get washed away by the normality of being normalized through this INTP idea. But again, I'm new to it. This is just an initial thought.

It can be an issue, but you probably shouldn't assume all INTPs fall into that trap. With great brains comes great responsibility. ;)

I think for types (like INTP) that have felt pretty alone in life and even dismissed by the majority, it's a good thing for awhile just to get a sense of who you are, that it's okay, and finally bask a bit in getting to interact with people who are like you. Positive experiences are good to have.

But I don't any type should rest on its laurels, including INTPs. I think it's one thing to embrace the practicality realities of one's innate preferences; at the same time, it cannot be an excuse to not try to branch out and develop new aptitude and try to shore up some of the weak spots. If you talk to life coaches, most will say that it's good to play to your strengths because it's with those that you are going to excel; meanwhile, invest enough to shore up your weak points, but don't dump a lot of needless energy into them. However, learn to respect those strengths in others and find ways to share strengths with others.

I mean, think about it. Someone who shows no aptitude for music can still learn how to play; but for those born with aptitude, I'm not just going to make them play sports to "be well rounded" and shun the music they've got a talent for, nor am I going to tell someone with no talent that they can be at the top of the list if they just try hard enough. It makes sense to take those things we've got talent with and make them as good as possible; meanwhile, though, don't use that as an excuse to not develop other things that sound interesting or that might help you appreciate life better. Personality preferences in some ways are similar.

In mid-life a lot of people do start reaching beyond their strengths and start exploring other perspectives and approaches. But you don't have to wait that long to start.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts

Any feedback is welcome :happy:

Cheers,
Will
Your awareness of this issue should preclude you from being sucked into it. Unless you know you are weak to things like this. If so, react appropriately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts