Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i have read some posts / articles that discuss that due to the complexities of relationships, and nature of the working world, INTPs in general end up following their own path or become less focused on their work in the formal sense.

do you agree, have others done this, and if so how?

i am currently looking for another role, and although on paper i have done well career wise, i just dont have that desire to push up the chain any further, bar it would be nice to have more cash / security but purely so i could do other things

thoughts?

apologies if this is a bit of a ramble

regards
Mark

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
hi,

i have read some posts / articles that discuss that due to the complexities of relationships, and nature of the working world, INTPs in general end up following their own path or become less focused on their work in the formal sense.

I don't think 'INTP in general end up following their own path'. What articles / posts do you refer to, in what context ?
I can easily imagine, that complexities of relationships may be one of the (major) reasons for INTP having trouble to find 'suitable' work though.
As for the following the own path, this can be done within the right jobs, easily. It's I think more about finding those, or, to find someone that understands INTP, then it is about it not existing / not being attractive. The focus on the work, that's a different thing, I think INTP is able to focus in short strong bursts. (resulting in doing a lot in little time as well as doing little (more than needed) in a lot of time.)

i am currently looking for another role, and although on paper i have done well career wise, i just dont have that desire to push up the chain any further, bar it would be nice to have more cash / security but purely so i could do other things

thoughts?

regards
Mark
hard to give any thoughts, as 'looking for another role' (what role do you have in the first place and what would you be looking for?), on paper you've done well career wise (depends fully on what you did before, and how that relates to being good for any other job.), doesn't tell much about what direction you wish to go.

My advise would be - look around, put some effort in finding what part of society you are interested in, and what you feel you could/would contribute if you did what you liked (ambition / vision). Then look at if others may feel for that as well (determine possible market, it will be hard to convince others if they don't see need and you will need to get food on the table.) Then determine where you can find this kind of job, or if you have to do it yourself.
If you have to do it yourself, another point will come, 'are you able' to do it yourself (not just knowledge wise, but mainly 'do' wise, as it may hamper doing it, if you need huge investments for hiring hands.).

Right, still got to post some thoughts I guess.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Man, so much synchronicity. My situation is so transparant to the world.

Needless to say I agree now, but yes, I agree. I lack the ambition to become more succesful 'out there' so long as it is not in congruence with my interests and personal growth.

The options are not plenty... So there a decision to make: do I play it loose 'out there' (cheap job, casual relationships, ...) and save my true devotion for 'charity' in the form of that was is important to my self and people that truly matter OR do I raise the finger at the whole personal well-being nonesense and play my part in a play that I am not all that fond of?

I crave the first, but will probably succomb to the latter possibility first. It then remains a matter of how bad it really is, and, consequently, how strongly I really want the former.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
hi,

thoughts?

regards
Mark
Thoughts? Hmmm, did I open a new account and post something then forget about it? Cause it sounds just like me.

Yes. I have no motivation to move up the chain. Have told bosses I consider myself maxed at my salary, because I don't have more to give it. I'm working on other projects in my free time, that may give me another future avenue plus whatever grabs my interest, which sometimes leads to the same thing.

Can't say that all INTPs fall into that category, but more likely without a doubt.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
thoughts?
Well I don't know how true that is, but I have wondered whether it might have something to do with being Ti dominant, specifically, being more interested in understanding things and working with things that can be neatly reasoned through than financial success, social status, educational degrees, and career advancement. If so, I would expect work-related relationships to be neglected or poorly managed as a byproduct of INTPs not really caring about the job/career.

I doubt that complexity is the issue because INTPs supposedly like or at least are comfortable with complexity. Dealing with stuff we don't care about and can't readily systematize seems the more likely problem.

·
Registered
INTP
4,465 Posts
I have absolutely no ambition, and to me, work is just a necessary evil. Selling my time (my life!) is evil. Now that I'm eligible for a pension, I'm not going to work any more. I don't understand people who work even though they have enough money.

Sounds like you're in a position to either stay where you are or move up for more money. At least you are aware of your choices. If you can combine your "career" with your lifestyle, so much the better. For example, freelancing and working from home might allow you to do the same job but wear the clothes you like, get up when you like, fire clients you don't like, hold meetings on the beach, etc. Or you might be able to dream up a new career that really matches your lifestyle. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
It depends what you value you see in it. If you look at your job just as a way to make some money, first thing to come to mind is to live minimalist life not to need to work hard.

Especially do thing antithetical to INTP-typical set of values. I can hardly see INTP to climb social hierarchy just to be on top of social hierarchy (given our contempt for it). But we have other motivators.

We can focus on being competent and dependable. To make the time invested in our work having positive impact. To learn, experiment and apply it.
I take pride in my craft and in the fact I can help others. And the more competent you are the better kind of stuff you can do once you prove yourself in the basics. You do not need to be CEO to earn people's respect for what you do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts