Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my intp brother is addicted to heroine
he has been doing this among other drugs for the past four years. I pretty sure he hasn't been sober for more than a few days in all those years. I wish I could understand him better. I wish I knew the right words to say to help him...

·
Registered
815 Posts
That's rather sexist of him. I have a taste for both heroes and heroines.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Its nearly impossible to help an opiate addict. I used to live in south Florida which probably has the worst opiate problem in the world. I watched people ruin their lives on a daily basis. I know how difficult it can be to see someone you love wasting away. I wish the best for you and your brother.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
You will get some grief about the misspellling here.

Honestly though, he needs serious help. It's not an INTP issue, you can't appeal to his INTPness to help him.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Its nearly impossible to help an opiate addict. I used to live in south Florida which probably has the worst opiate problem in the world. I watched people ruin their lives on a daily basis. I know how difficult it can be to see someone you love wasting away. I wish the best for you and your brother.
Ugh. A few in my family, not in Florida but this area became some kind f heroin hotspot in the last 5 years.

I don't have much faith for most of the addicts. It's awful but I've seen too many die or get swallowed whole before they knew what hit them. None were very close to me, fortunately.

Reactions: baba yaga

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ugh. A few in my family, not in Florida but this area became some kind f heroin hotspot in the last 5 years.I don't have much faith for most of the addicts. It's awful but I've seen too many die or get swallowed whole before they knew what hit them. None were very close to me, fortunately.
Unfortunately once they get to a certain point they will get urges the rest of their lives. I had it happen to a roommate who was like a brother, we tried everything to get him off. Heroin isn't so bad in Florida but there are hundred of clinics everywhere for prescription opiates.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Unfortunately once they get to a certain point they will get urges the rest of their lives. I had it happen to a roommate who was like a brother, we tried everything to get him off. Heroin isn't so bad in Florida but there are hundred of clinics everywhere for prescription opiates.
Yep. My uncle was a heroin addict. He was making 6 figures before it all went to shit, he spent some time in prison for forgery and then reinvented himself after he got out but he's relapsed and hard to start from scratch about 5 times since then.

And off of the drug he's one of the most naturally capable and talented people I've ever seen. If he can't keep his life together I have little to no faith for the ones who don't possess his skill and intelligence. And I don't trust them either, I've cut off a few people without a second thought once I've heard they were getting serious with the shit.

I like keeping my electronics, lol.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yep. My uncle was a heroin addict. He was making 6 figures before it all went to shit, he spent some time in prison for forgery and then reinvented himself after he got out but he's relapsed and hard to start from scratch about 5 times since then. And off of the drug he's one of the most naturally capable and talented people I've ever seen. If he can't keep his life together I have little to no faith for the ones who don't possess his skill and intelligence. And I don't trust them either, I've cut off a few people without a second thought once I've heard they were getting serious with the shit. I like keeping my electronics, lol.
Lol yeah you NEVER trust an addict further than you can throw them. What did a dude making 6 figures need heroin for?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Lol yeah you NEVER trust an addict further than you can throw them. What did a dude making 6 figures need heroin for?
He was in finance. It's actually extremely common. He lived in Florida too. Palm Beach oOoOoOo

Reactions: alexande

·
Banned
358 Posts
So my intp brother is addicted to heroine
he has been doing this among other drugs for the past four years. I pretty sure he hasn't been sober for more than a few days in all those years. I wish I could understand him better. I wish I knew the right words to say to help him...
Is he really addicted or is he just doing heroin? Does he want to stop?

·
Registered
815 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yikes, sorry about the misspelling. Yes he is really addicted. He lives here at home with my mom and my brothers.
My mom acts pretty naive towards the whole thing...i don't think she
Understands how serious it is.
My brother is a really smart dude, I always thought that he saw things that most people overlook. He is kind, and cares a lot for his family, but he is different now than he was 4 years ago.
I really want to understand why he thought he needed the drugs in the first place. I want to know what's going through his head that makes him so unhappy.
I posted this on the intp forum because I thought maybe u guys would understand more about how to approach him. The situation is so delicate, I don't want to do or say the wrong things.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Yikes, sorry about the misspelling. Yes he is really addicted. He lives here at home with my mom and my brothers.
My mom acts pretty naive towards the whole thing...i don't think she
Understands how serious it is.
My brother is a really smart dude, I always thought that he saw things that most people overlook. He is kind, and cares a lot for his family, but he is different now than he was 4 years ago.
I really want to understand why he thought he needed the drugs in the first place. I want to know what's going through his head that makes him so unhappy.
I posted this on the intp forum because I thought maybe u guys would understand more about how to approach him. The situation is so delicate, I don't want to do or say the wrong things.
Of course he does.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The situation is so delicate, I don't want to do or say the wrong things.
Addicts are very manipulative, and if he's an INTP he's probably especially good at it.
He's counting on you all feeling that the situation is "delicate," and that you have to tiptoe around the subject of drugs.
Someone needs to say "DUDE, get your drug addicted ass in treatment or get out of the house NOW." Let him throw a hissy. Call the cops. Nothing you are doing now is helping him. It's called enabling. Start this conversation with him in front of your mother--that should open her eyes.
Sorry to sound harsh, but this is a losing game. Heartbreaking. It's not your fault... but you have to give him the ultimatum and stick to it. Watch some Dr. Phil reruns or something.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Addicts are very manipulative, and if he's an INTP he's probably especially good at it.
He's counting on you all feeling that the situation is "delicate," and that you have to tiptoe around the subject of drugs.
Someone needs to say "DUDE, get your drug addicted ass in treatment or get out of the house NOW." Let him throw a hissy. Call the cops. Nothing you are doing now is helping him. It's called enabling. Start this conversation with him in front of your mother--that should open her eyes.
Sorry to sound harsh, but this is a losing game. Heartbreaking. It's not your fault... but you have to give him the ultimatum and stick to it. Watch some Dr. Phil reruns or something.
I believe that addiction is a disease but I believe that it's also a partially learned behavior.

But I agree with you, most people will treat the addict as a victim and even if the person is truly addicted they're still aware of their perceived victim status and are expecting most people to treat them delicately.

What I notice with many is that they seem to think it's everyone's issue. My uncle is actually pretty responsible about his addiction, I guess. Strange wording but he's never presented it like we were all supposed to cure him. I have more faith in him than most.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts