Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pretty long (for me), so extra special props to anyone who can sort through my ramblings and offer their thoughts.

So, my first experience with MBTI was with a career counselor. She first asked me to guess my type. At this point my experience with MBTI was pretty limited, but I tried it anyway. I guessed ISTJ without really understanding what the implications of those letters were.

She then had me take an official MBTI test. My results were INFP. So we discussed the discrepancies between my guess and my results. It was pretty clear to both of us that I was an Introvert. I also just didn’t really understand the difference between Judging and Perceiving, and I agreed, after she explained it to me, that I am a Perceiver. Sensing and iNtuition were more difficult to sort out. She had me look at a painting in her office and when I described things like a road that I couldn’t see to the end, she explained how that was a more iNtuitive way of way thing, so I agreed with her reasoning. Feeling versus Thinking was much more difficult to sort out. Even after our discussion, we looked at careers for both INTPs and INFPs.

After reading a little more, I moved on to the Jungian functions, and this is essentially where I am right now. I am fairly certain that I am a Ne/Si user. In particular, my awareness of the present environment is usually pretty poor, and I can be very nostalgic which seems to point away from Se and towards Si. Once again, the judging functions are a little more iffy. I’m fairly certain I use Ti/Fe. In fact this post, to me, seems very Ti and Si oriented.

So that’s where I am. I’m not really certain how to order my functions. I’m pretty sure INTP is right and it fits with the Ti/Fe and Ne/Si functions, but it wouldn’t be terrible to have some verification.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
After reading a little more, I moved on to the Jungian functions, and this is essentially where I am right now. I am fairly certain that I am a Ne/Si user. In particular, my awareness of the present environment is usually pretty poor, and I can be very nostalgic which seems to point away from Se and towards Si. Once again, the judging functions are a little more iffy. I’m fairly certain I use Ti/Fe. In fact this post, to me, seems very Ti and Si oriented.

So that’s where I am. I’m not really certain how to order my functions. I’m pretty sure INTP is right and it fits with the Ti/Fe and Ne/Si functions, but it wouldn’t be terrible to have some verification.
Well if Ti Fe Si and Ne are your functions, then you are either ENTP INTP ISFJ or ESFJ. Which of these profiles sounds most like you?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So of those, INTP and ENTP both fit well. The loyalty and dependability typically associated with SJs doesn't seem like me. Ne seems to make more sense as a primary function, but it's very difficult to think of myself as an Extrovert. I also don't like the brashness displayed by most ENTPs, so I guess I"m still on INTP.

There are really two questions here, even though I kind of buried them and didn't really phrase it well.

1) Do I, from what you've seen in my past posts and/or the post above, seem more like a Ti/Fe user or a Fi/Te user? They don't need to be in the listed order; I just was curious as to which set people think I use.

2) Based on whatever limited information you have about me, what do you think is the order of my functions?
For the record, I've taken one functional analysis based test. My results were Ne > Ti > Si > Fi > Fe > Te > Ni > Se.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
So of those, INTP and ENTP both fit well. The loyalty and dependability typically associated with SJs doesn't seem like me. Ne seems to make more sense as a primary function, but it's very difficult to think of myself as an Extrovert. I also don't like the brashness displayed by most ENTPs, so I guess I"m still on INTP.
I have the same struggle INTP vs ENTP, but there are a couple of common ENTP traits I can't relate to. One is how they can take any insult and take it as a compliment. The other is the love of arguing. I like to debate, but I hate hurting people's feelings, so I'll only debate someone who I know isn't going to take it personally.

1) Do I, from what you've seen in my past posts and/or the post above, seem more like a Ti/Fe user or a Fi/Te user? They don't need to be in the listed order; I just was curious as to which set people think I use.

2) Based on whatever limited information you have about me, what do you think is the order of my functions?
For the record, I've taken one functional analysis based test. My results were Ne > Ti > Si > Fi > Fe > Te > Ni > Se.
Normally the way I'd recognize an Fi/Te user is we'll have a clash at some point.. not talking fight, but they will have a hard time following my logic and act like there's something wrong with it, or they'll express some sort of value that doesn't make sense to me.

I can try this.. what are some of your pet peeves?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really have a lot of pet peeves. My biggest one is people who don't know how to wager on Jeopardy though. They'll either devalue the clue if it's a Daily Double, which is at least kind of acceptable if they don't know much about the category, or they'll wager on Final Jeopardy is a way that makes it nearly impossible for them to win. For instance, if you're in second place and you wager everything, you've pretty much guaranteed that you can't win unless you get the question right. However, wager enough to just pass the current score of person in first and you'll likely win if they get it wrong. (You also have to wager enough to guarantee you stay in front of the person in third.)

It just bugs me, because these people are obviously very smart and put in a lot of time preparing to come on the game, but then fuck up something that just seems like common sense to me.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I don't really have a lot of pet peeves. My biggest one is people who don't know how to wager on Jeopardy though. They'll either devalue the clue if it's a Daily Double, which is at least kind of acceptable if they don't know much about the category, or they'll wager on Final Jeopardy is a way that makes it nearly impossible for them to win. For instance, if you're in second place and you wager everything, you've pretty much guaranteed that you can't win unless you get the question right. However, wager enough to just pass the current score of person in first and you'll likely win if they get it wrong. (You also have to wager enough to guarantee you stay in front of the person in third.)

It just bugs me, because these people are obviously very smart and put in a lot of time preparing to come on the game, but then fuck up something that just seems like common sense to me.
Well I would say that's a T-oriented peeve :) Can't really say if it's Ti or Te for certain. But if you were Fi-dom, I would have expected quite a different response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts