Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cookies at the end of the post

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I tend to doubt everything, so my type is no exception. I find it very difficult to know who I am. It seems that I modify my perception of myself all the time. No the mains characteristics, but the details. I could logically explain my behavior/thoughts as coming from any types if I focus on certain aspects of myself, so to know which ones I should focus on is very hard. I’m pretty sure I use Ti and that I am introverted, that leave me with 4 choices, INTP, ISTP, INFJ, ISFJ, and that’s considering I do use Ti.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Hum…
I’m still searching I guess.
To make the best of this life I guess, which I’m not very best at (way too stuck in my head).

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

No specific event comes to mind.
When I feel in control of myself and when I receive external validation I guess. Even then, I tend to downplay the events.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Failure, comparing myself to other, failing to change myself, doing something stupid.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

The pro-cons. Is it a good decision, objectively. How will it affect others. Is it realistic.
I can have strong feeling about things, but I try to not let that affect my judgment, if I can. “I felt like X so I did Y” doesn’t seem like a good justification to me.
I don’t like taking decisions to be honest, I prefer to just analyze the situation.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I’m not a control freak, so as long as the outcome is positive, I’m alright, I guess. I try to see what could be the potential errors/flaws in the project. I’m might be too good at it, since I have a very hard time staying motivated on a project because of that.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

When I making fun of stuff and acting goofy in general, I guess. My memory is awful, I can’t find a specific event.
Generally I think it would be some good times with my Ex and when I played video games for hours with friends?

7) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Depend on the subject. For technical and practical subjects, I am more hands on. Stop talking until I had the time to try it myself. With others subjects, I make association with simpler situations, make parallels, and find the general principles very quickly that way. I’m not good at memorization.

8) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Zero

9) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I make sense of it. If it sounds logical, I will assume it’s possible (but not true, that require more thoughts).
For factual things, I’ll have to research to be sure. On more abstract subject, I will generally make my mind very quickly, and it don’t take me long to call bullshit on something (I might not express it, but I will think it).
I try to see how it compares to reality. If it fall apart when put in reality, it’s probably wrong. I often see debates on these forums about what is logical or not about a theory. Just look at the facts in the real word. If it contradicts them, the theory is probably wrong (or you don’t understand the theory correctly…).

10) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I don’t generally agree with the group….
That said, I don’t get satisfaction by openly opposing myself to others. I more of a “live and let live” type of guy, as long as the actions of others don’t affect me. I like to argue with friends (and I can be very argumentative), but with others I’ll pretend to agree with them (while I might be thinking ”what a moron” internally).

11) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

One on one discussion, think before I speak. I do the classic “Ti look” where I stop talking and search for the perfect way to express an idea. I something “barf” information incoherently very quickly, then I have to reformulate everything more slowly/clearly if I want to be understood.

I assume a lot of shared knowledge with others, with a lot of my sentences ending with something along the lines of “because… you know… right?”, “it’s difficult to explain but you get what I mean” or similar statements.

12) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

Paralysis by analysis. I generally pass more time thinking about doing something than the time it takes me to do it.
I have a very hard time getting to action.

13) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

“I’m not sure, let me think about it” “I haven’t eaten yet, give me a few minutes”
Then, if I choose to go, I’m late.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I’m always stressed out.
When very stressed, I try to rationalize the situation or to think of something else, or avoiding the situation if possible.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Stupidity, close mindedness and arrogance. Peoples who don’t think. Sheep behavior. People that try to control others with illogical statement and emotional manipulation. Loud dumb people.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

America’s Next Top Model and similar stuff…

I like to talk about the observations/analysis I make about everything, or stuff about my hobbies/interests .

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

America’s Next Top Model and similar stuff

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

“Finagle you are way too confident and decisive. Stop being such a narcissistic douche bag”

I’m seen as indecisive, procrastinating, weird, funny, intelligent, imaginative, lazy, complaining, nice, anxious, argumentative, cautious, random… I guess…
Depending on the people, I’m seen as an artist or a computer geek.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Staying at home eating cookies in front of my computer, then complaining that I’m wasting my time.

Feel free to look at my posts history if it can help you getting a better idea of myself.

I lied. I think those are cupcakes...

There you go!

1,636 Posts
u really do seem like Ti
i would go with INTP maybe but i can't say im sure
i think i saw inferior Fe somewhere so im guessing Ti dominant
That leaves us with INTP or ISTP...but i would go with INTP

can i get a cookie now for effort? :D

and also how didnt i remember to offer cookies when they were typing me - this is a nice idea - chocolate cookies, aren't they? :D

Reactions: Finagle

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Of the two choices mentioned in thread title, I'm going to have to side with INTP, because if these answers are anything to go by, your Ti seems a lot stronger than your Fe. The fact is that I kind of see Fe in the question of pretending to agree with others, but it still might be a repressed function.

Honestly, I didn't see much of a Sensing/Intuition divide, so I'm not really ruling out ISTP at the moment.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
u really do seem like Ti
i would go with INTP maybe but i can't say im sure
i think i saw inferior Fe somewhere so im guessing Ti dominant
That leaves us with INTP or ISTP...but i would go with INTP

can i get a cookie now for effort? :D

and also how didnt i remember to offer cookies when they were typing me - this is a nice idea - chocolate cookies, aren't they? :D
Of the two choices mentioned in thread title, I'm going to have to side with INTP, because if these answers are anything to go by, your Ti seems a lot stronger than your Fe. The fact is that I kind of see Fe in the question of pretending to agree with others, but it still might be a repressed function.

Honestly, I didn't see much of a Sensing/Intuition divide, so I'm not really ruling out ISTP at the moment.
There is enough cookies for everyone, don't worry (mostly because they are digital cookies, Ah, the wonders of technology).

Let's assume I'm Ti dominant (that's what I have been thinking lately).
I have a very hard time seeing if I use Se/ni or Ne/si. That's what I have being searching lately. I think my two middle functions have similar strength, so I can relate to both type.
What made me think INTP is that I am very bad at passing from thoughts to actions. I assume an ISTP would have an easier time doing so. I never was into sports, but I don't think that's relevant.
I also don't live in the present, well, not in the way you would imagine an ESxP do. I can't get out of my head the consequences of my acts on the future.

At the same time, I'm more grounded in reality than the INTP's I have met in real live. I could not see myself studying something that have no practical use. I will research it quickly, to get the general idea, because it can be interesting, but I could not see myself investing efforts in it. I still definitely have the "knowledge is power" mindset, but if that knowledge have no use...
I like to analyse everything, but I would rarely read a full book about it. Maybe a Wikipedia article and a few web pages, some videos.

I'm studying computer science right now, I like the idea that I can use what I learn, but there is no way in hell I would study that "for the fun of it".
I like it for the same reason I liked studying 3d animation; I can take something from my mind and make something concrete with it. Actually, I was way more motivated when studying 3d...

As for Ni vs Si... I used to think I was using Si, but I'm really unsure of it right now.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*Shameless bump*

Here's something concrete to analyse
I want to know if this look more like Ne-Si or Se-Ni

I went to the library this afternoon so I could maybe work on that boring school project of mine, and I saw this masked guy with a laptop. This is what I wrote to a friend

"I try to be open minded, but there is a guy with a zorro's mask in front of me doing I don't know what on his laptop
You have to love (my city's name) and its weird people
while listening to some coldplay's song too loud on his headphone
He looks like heath ledger in the Imaginarium of doc Parnassus
Maybe he hold the key to the world of imagination
Maybe I should ask him
Or I could continue what I'm doing right, which means to look at him with a weird look
He drink grape coke
well know for being the imagination's lubricant
The other hypothesis is that he saw V for Vendeta, and he's a revolutionary wannabe"

I make those kind of observations all the time...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess is ISTP. :D I see Se wayyyy more than Ne.
Have you taken a test that measures your cognitive functions?
This one is my favorite:
Free Personality Test, with an in-depth analysis
I got ISTP (medium preference for introversion, small preference for sensing, and very small preference for everything else). Since it's the only test that gave me a sensor result, I tried it again to make sure and got ISFP. I know I use Ti, so I'm going to reject the second result, but it's still an interesting result. I generally get INTP/INFP instead.
If anything, it's another evidence that I'm probably very balanced in my sensing/intuition.
I'll have to read even more about the functions, I think there might be a lot of misinformation about Se that ends up confusing me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ISTP because of this:

"Cookies for the person that find my type!"
the amount of Ti and lack of N or F in this line is piercing.

oh and your first answer reeked so much of ISTP that i wasn't bothered reading the rest.

·
Registered
680 Posts
*Shameless bump*

Here's something concrete to analyse
I want to know if this look more like Ne-Si or Se-Ni

I went to the library this afternoon so I could maybe work on that boring school project of mine, and I saw this masked guy with a laptop. This is what I wrote to a friend

"I try to be open minded, but there is a guy with a zorro's mask in front of me doing I don't know what on his laptop
You have to love (my city's name) and its weird people
while listening to some coldplay's song too loud on his headphone
He looks like heath ledger in the Imaginarium of doc Parnassus
Maybe he hold the key to the world of imagination
Maybe I should ask him
Or I could continue what I'm doing right, which means to look at him with a weird look
He drink grape coke
well know for being the imagination's lubricant
The other hypothesis is that he saw V for Vendeta, and he's a revolutionary wannabe"

I make those kind of observations all the time...
something constructive:
N's absolutely appreciate strangeness, which is why they don't do that well socially most of the time. if i saw that guy, i would fall in love with him, except for the coldplay part. you seem to stereotype a lot. that's Ti. and you simply noticed his grape coke without formulating possibilities as to why he likes grape coke etc. thats a lack of Ne and Fi.

so yeah, i reckon its Se-Ni.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I won't argue with the fact that I am an ISTP, seems that's the consensus. I definitely don't fit the stereotypes (to much emphasis on Se), but otherwise it make sense.

I'm curious, you all see a strong Ti in me.
What exactly make you think that?

Note to self: Now I know how to seduce xNFP's. You dress as Zoro and give them flowers, then disappear with a cryptic message that show the deepness of your soul. Zoom!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Note to self: Now I know how to seduce xNFP's. You dress as Zoro and give them flowers, then disappear with a cryptic message that show the deepness of your soul. Zoom!
Win. :)

i dont actually understand Ti. i get a particular "feeling" when it is present though.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
90% of the time you'll just get a "huuuuuuh.....?" by doing that :p LOL

Win. :)

i dont actually understand Ti. i get a particular "feeling" when it is present though.
Ti is more about personal logic.
Ti and Fi are really close to each other.

Ti: You can't go faster than the speed of light
Te: I've read that you can't go faster than the speed of light
basically...

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

The pro-cons. Is it a good decision, objectively. How will it affect others. Is it realistic.
I can have strong feeling about things, but I try to not let that affect my judgment, if I can. “I felt like X so I did Y” doesn’t seem like a good justification to me.
I don’t like taking decisions to be honest, I prefer to just analyze the situation.
If functions had a weight...
Ti would have reached infinitive weight in this comment >.>
Also a little little bit of Fe (which is required for having Ti)

9) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I make sense of it. If it sounds logical, I will assume it’s possible (but not true, that require more thoughts).
For factual things, I’ll have to research to be sure. On more abstract subject, I will generally make my mind very quickly, and it don’t take me long to call bullshit on something (I might not express it, but I will think it).
I try to see how it compares to reality. If it fall apart when put in reality, it’s probably wrong. I often see debates on these forums about what is logical or not about a theory. Just look at the facts in the real word. If it contradicts them, the theory is probably wrong (or you don’t understand the theory correctly…).
Ti and some Se ("Just look at the facts in the real word.")

Paralysis by analysis. I generally pass more time thinking about doing something than the time it takes me to do it.
I have a very hard time getting to action.
Ti

Stupidity, close mindedness and arrogance. Peoples who don’t think. Sheep behavior. People that try to control others with illogical statement and emotional manipulation. Loud dumb people.
- that sounds like my INTP friend, lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you sportsy? Where do you live? Do enjoy exercise? Do you really get off on engaging in "Se" activities?
I never liked sports and was completely awful at them as a teen (always picked last). Can't hit/kick/trow a ball to save my life. But I have always been good at swimming/martial arts and other individual sports. Now I like to walk and ride my bicycle. I should do some martial arts, but I need to find one that I could do with my glasses (almost blind without them, and I can't stand contact lenses). That and laziness.

I live in a big city. I grew up in a rural area, with access to the sea and forests. I wish I could have a blend of the two. I really miss the sea ( I was so used to it when I was younger, it's only now that I don't have access to it anymore that I realize how lucky I was).

As far as Se activities goes... video games,drawing, music (used to play piano, now I have a guitar that is collecting dust) stupid actions movies and animes/shonen, 2d/3d animation, comics. So, not so much physical activities as indulging in my senses I guess.
For a while, I wanted to travel just so I could taste different types of food.

As far as intuition goes... very weird/imaginative. I was very spiritual and philosophical as a child. I generally have a big picture of things. Very good a brainstorming. I could see myself very well in Ne, but that could be because of how similar that function can be with Se.

If I'm an istp, I'm a very nerdy/geek one.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Now I like to walk and ride my bicycle.
What was it again you said about Se activities?
lol

You need to consider that you are Ti dom and because of that the S/N function will be dependent on your Ti.
I typed my cousin as ISTP... he loves computer games etc. and is even worse than me in that area >.>
But his Ti is directed towards a more "mechanical" interest and he also got some "live in the moment" attitude.

On a side note: He's an idiot with ADHD... and yes... even my ISTJ dad thinks he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, lol.

As far as intuition goes... very weird/imaginative. I was very spiritual and philosophical as a child. I generally have a big picture of things. Very good a brainstorming. I could see myself very well in Ne, but that could be because of how similar that function can be with Se.
Your posts suggest Ni rather than Ne.
You might notice that my posts jump a bit in what I'm talking about... that is generally Ne.
You write really structured.

"Introduction"
"History and present"
"Opinion of Se"
"Opinion of Ne"

"conclusion"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts