Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been confused for quite some time as to which Myers-Briggs temperament fits me best. I suppose I could just be content to say I'm unique and confused and just forget about it. But most of my friends are so confident in being able to type themselves that it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me or if I am out of touch with my "real" self, whatever that's supposed to be.

I have concluded two things for sure after having been thrown around the ENTJ arena: I'm an introvert and I use Introverted Thinking very heavily. I also know I'm an intuitive of some kind.

So here's my problems:

1. I'm a chameleon so I can read myself into many different personality types and find something in them that I relate to. I also act very different in different settings. When I travel to other English speaking countries, for example, I have been known to lose my own accent so completely that people think I've been born and raised in the country I'm visiting.

2. I end up analysing the questions in a personality test to the point that I can basically hack it and it's impossible for me to be unbiased.

3. I have researched the cognitive functions thoroughly but then I get confused about how these functions interact. For example, an INTP who is feeding Ti with Ne would tend to create holistic, intuitive concepts that could potentially mimic Introverted Intuition in a similar way to an INTJ or INFJ.

4. Because I tend to challenge my weak areas deliberately, I developed a pretty decent Fe that has been able to get me through door-to-door sales and community health care (although truth to be told both of these things drain me a lot). I'm a great actor and I know how to throw on charm if it is necessary or useful. I have lots of friends in several different countries and many of them would describe me as vivacious and extroverted even though I'm nothing of the sort (yeah, you guessed it, my "friends" don't know who I really am and I feed them portions of my personality that fit the occasion).

5. I'm really logical and my personal feelings usually are almost nonexistent or very much in the background.

7. I come off externally as very emotional, fluffy and sweet. This annoys me no end but it seems to make people like me which I view as practical and useful - something like investing in social life insurance. <<<< it might be useful to know that my family basically don't exist in my life so having people to rely on when I need it is really important for me.

8. I'm really good at reading people and particular figuring out their motives. It's difficult for me to read people's feelings but I sure know what they're thinking, very often. The times when I unleash this ability on my friends usually makes them uncomfortable - or as one friend put it: as if I'm going through their dirty laundry.

Anyway. The point is I share characteristics of both INFJs and INTPs and I can't figure out which is me. One of my friends thinks that I'm an INFJ/INTP mish-mash that was left out of Myers-Briggs by mistake.

Are there any patterns that you notice or anything that I have said that any of you might relate to? Also, is there anyone who is able to expand on how the functions interact with each other -- Ne for INTP seems to be different than for INFP or ENFP for example. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
3. I have researched the cognitive functions thoroughly but then I get confused about how these functions interact. For example, an INTP who is feeding Ti with Ne would tend to create holistic, intuitive concepts that could potentially mimic Introverted Intuition in a similar way to an INTJ or INFJ.
One description I've liked is Ni will be a kind of singularity/black hole to the all of the information, and Ne (perhaps needing to be coupled with Ti, or perhaps not) will be more like a wormhole; its purpose crucially relies on bridging the information into some new realm.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'd say me telling you here on this topic, knowing I dropped out of cleaning mess I promised to clean, under the cover of a game, I 'had' to do some stuff in, then reading this post after few other topics, knowing my gf is pissed if she knows, weighing against the fact it may be taken ok, but also feeling compelled by answering to this post, knowing I'm able to reasonably explain it to her, while not having thought of arguments yet, it may be a good explanation of how I experience INTPness, maybe a small hint of how it works.
Especially, that while writing I'm thinking of how to make this make sense.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
You sound like an INTx, Enneagram Type 1.

If new friends are visiting your home, o you ever spend time contemplating how to shape your personality to fit their group, despite keeping your roots true? That's kind of INTP Enneagram Type 1, I suppose.
Then again, I could be a 6. Eh..

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I think that after enough shapeshifting you can get to a point where you're not characterized by any single type anymore. You strike me as someone like that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One description I've liked is Ni will be a kind of singularity/black hole to the all of the information, and Ne (perhaps needing to be coupled with Ti, or perhaps not) will be more like a wormhole; its purpose crucially relies on bridging the information into some new realm.
Well... this is very helpful for me. I asked my good INTJ friend how she perceives Ni and she said essentially the same as this. I think I can concur that I utilise Ne. Perhaps what was confusing me is I don't feed it into creating external objects in the way my ENFP friends do. An XNFJ friend once told me that I have a strong right-brained tendency but my left brain keeps shutting it down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Does it ever happen to you that you end up realizing something without knowing how you got to the conclusion?
When you ask it that way, no. I have sudden light-bulb moments and "attacks" of inspiration. But I always know how I got there and how to break it down.

EDIT: let me briefly expand on what I mean. For example my sister brings home a new boyfriend (ESTP) and he asks me for my honest opinion of him (trying to ingratiate himself with the family). I've barely met him but from patterns I've noticed in his behaviour towards my sister and things he omits, body language etc I feel very uncomfortable about him, as if he has a few not-so-great secrets. So I ask him if he wants me to be really honest. He says yes. I just say that he is being partially truthful with me but hiding key parts of himself. He squirms and mumbles something. My sister gives him a sideways glance and then he admits that it's true. So yeah... I notice things, my brain unconsciously puts it all together but... I can always explain why.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd say me telling you here on this topic, knowing I dropped out of cleaning mess I promised to clean, under the cover of a game, I 'had' to do some stuff in, then reading this post after few other topics, knowing my gf is pissed if she knows, weighing against the fact it may be taken ok, but also feeling compelled by answering to this post, knowing I'm able to reasonably explain it to her, while not having thought of arguments yet, it may be a good explanation of how I experience INTPness, maybe a small hint of how it works.
Especially, that while writing I'm thinking of how to make this make sense.
Um. This sounds as if you crawled inside my brain....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You sound like an INTx, Enneagram Type 1.

If new friends are visiting your home, o you ever spend time contemplating how to shape your personality to fit their group, despite keeping your roots true? That's kind of INTP Enneagram Type 1, I suppose.
Then again, I could be a 6. Eh..
Yes! I tend to unconsciously adapt myself to different cultures and environments. I remember I was once in an important meeting with three individuals: one was European, another Chinese and the third was Indian. Let's just say I got internally very muddled up. Probably, though, my shape-shifting is exaggerated because I have travelled a lot and grew up in between multiple cultures.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyway, here goes my comment dump. Thanks everyone for your replies, by the way! I kind of got carried away with other things and forgot I had started this thread...

I have read through other INTP discussions and I think I have put my finger on what has made me doubt the most. A lot of the personality profiles talk about INTPs as if they are robots who have no interest in anything except gaining more knowledge. For myself this isn't true at all. I do care about people who are important to me and I can have strong feelings. I guess what I mean is I am highly logical but I'm also human! Perhaps being human doesn't negate the potential that I could be an INTP.

BTW as a comparison would anyone consider Mr Knightley in Jane Austen's Emma to be an INTP or an INFJ? He is probably a classic literary character that I relate to the most.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anyway, here goes my comment dump. Thanks everyone for your replies, by the way! I kind of got carried away with other things and forgot I had started this thread...

I have read through other INTP discussions and I think I have put my finger on what has made me doubt the most. A lot of the personality profiles talk about INTPs as if they are robots who have no interest in anything except gaining more knowledge. For myself this isn't true at all. I do care about people who are important to me and I can have strong feelings. I guess what I mean is I am highly logical but I'm also human! Perhaps being human doesn't negate the potential that I could be an INTP.

BTW as a comparison would anyone consider Mr Knightley in Jane Austen's Emma to be an INTP or an INFJ? He is probably a classic literary character that I relate to the most.
Being a certain type categorizes you in a large way. I tend to be very flexible at work. I act more as a ENTP, I am a questioner and thinker. I review all of the possibilities and work out a problem from multiple different angles. I hate being managed. I enjoy working alone on tasks. I love research. I can enjoy large meetings and greeting others and doing small talk and building relationships.

When I am done with work for the day, I go home. I seek to be alone, I read my books, surf reddit, play video games, work on art projects and write in my journal. I sometimes go on hikes. My interests provoke thoughtfulness and contemplation, and I seek solidarity.

When I do make friends, I make few, I don't want a bunch of meaningful relationships. Friendships are few, they are meaningful, they are deep.

What do you do when you don't have to be around people? What do you seek what are your interests in life. That is what defines me as an INTP in my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What do you do when you don't have to be around people? What do you seek what are your interests in life. That is what defines me as an INTP in my opinion.
When I don't have to be around people I am not around them. I read, I write in my journal, I reflect and ponder a great deal, I play violin/piano, I write articles that are occasionally published, I research random things that I am currently obsessed about, usually trying to view them from every possible side and perspective. I watch documentaries on YouTube. I teach myself other languages (currently: classical Greek [advanced] and German [beginner]). Sometimes I'm really productive with my time; sometimes I just lie on my bed thinking until I realise that it's 2:00am and I should sleep...

In terms of friends: I am usually very friendly but this is in an internally detached way. I had no close friends at all until I was 21. At that point I thought about it and realised that friends are a very healthy thing to have in life (help contribute to a longer life-span, promote emotional intelligence etc) and so I made the effort to forge a few deep friendships and a bunch of shallow ones. Only my INTJ friend knows the real me and even then, I'm still detached somewhat. My definition of deep is a bit different to other personalities: I can go for weeks or even months sometimes without talking to my close friends just because I'm busy or whatever. Other times we talk every day. I like INTJs because they don't expect emotional coddling like some people do. My mom (ESFJ) can't go for longer than 4-6 hours without talking to her best friend. This seems ridiculous and potentially unhealthy to me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/thinking-or-feeling.htm?bhcp=1

I tend to do both thinking and feeling, It really depends on the situation. When I am with strangers, in a professional enviorment or others I don't know... Out of social pressure I am more Feeling/Thinking oriented. Around my family and friends I am very Thinking oriented which I consider my true-self. In social situations I have learned what is right and wrong in our culture and so I tend to approach it differently.

Which descriptions seems more natural, effortless, and comfortable for you?

I have several issues with MBTi. It is not the end all, be all of personality and definition of yourself. It does not describe how I show my Love, I found that in the 5 love languages. It does not describe the things I am drawn to, I like acheivement, progression, rewards, deep thought and peace and harmony, which I learned from the Enneagram. How I work well in a work environment/team environment which is I am a Thinker/Questioner and I have the traits and understanding of a great leader, but I hate leading and babysitting or telling others what to do, I like to work alone. I learned that from a test called team roles.

I can go on. Just remember that MBTi is the way that you process thoughts and that it is not black and white. You have tendencies towards extroversion even if you are introverted. I am ~50%-75% introverted. It does not define you. You just tend to lean one way or another. You define you, if you really need a definition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! This link is really helpful. Sometimes I analyse ideas until I lose their simplicity... :)

From comparing the two, I definitely favor Thinking over Feeling.

I know MBTI is no where near complete or perfect. But I find systems like MBTI a useful way to categorise and communicate who I am to people who are important to me. Growing up with an ESFJ mother was slightly traumatic and we still struggle to understand each other! I guess part of me also appreciates the discovery that there are other people who view the world from a similar perspective. :)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts

Maybe you're an Enneagram 9 like I am. Do you HIGHLY value peace of mind? More than "truth", accomplishments, etc? Is it important for you to not be disturbed and just left the fuck alone? When things (studies, work etc) start closing in on you, do you panic a little? As an Enneagram 9 I have (selectively) strong emotions that stay under a strong logical belt. I mainly feel emotional about myself and ones close to me, don't really care about most people. Total apathy. Is that you? You sound like it.. the goofy lovable professor that's apathetic and logical? Let me know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Maybe you're an Enneagram 9 like I am. Do you HIGHLY value peace of mind? More than "truth", accomplishments, etc? Is it important for you to not be disturbed and just left the fuck alone? When things (studies, work etc) start closing in on you, do you panic a little? As an Enneagram 9 I have (selectively) strong emotions that stay under a strong logical belt. I mainly feel emotional about myself and ones close to me, don't really care about most people. Total apathy. Is that you? You sound like it.. the goofy lovable professor that's apathetic and logical? Let me know.
Yeah... this definitely sounds like me!

EDIT: Actually just read into enneagram and did a test etc. and it confirmed that I'm a type 9.. quite interesting and really accurate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.