Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a lot of INTP friends that I often draw from discussing & mentioning intellectual interests. I have noticed a really weird pattern with INTP males that I know; a large number of them have regularly smoked pot and also dealt drugs for some time when they were younger. I get the impression that this was to fit into a male social group better, and I have a speculation that the Ne and NT behavior get weakened and suppressed on pot in which case they can get along better in a mainstream male environment which seems very Se (7th function), Si (3rd), Fe (4th) to me. I usually get along with INTPs really well but I've also been noticing a number of male INTPs that seem to suppress their Ne to fit in better to a "dude society", haha (similar to INFPs). Has anyone else noticed this, and in which case, what is the best way to open them up? I get mixed signals as to how to interact because I get mixed signals, which I think is from the suppressed Ne-interest so I feel both coaxed to take the conversation in that direction and also that I'm walking on eggshells.

Sorry if the above experiences I'm having with INTPs are more individual and not relatable or relevant to other INTPs.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
You could be right, as I smoked HEAVILY through my teens. And it was largely because I wanted to try it, and prolonging it because everyone else was doing it, even though weed doesn't really work with me too good, I learned that and now I hardly smoke at all. I guess I did to it to fit in socially, but now that I'm a bit older and more secure in myself, I don't really care too much for that. Although I get smoking to fit in if others are doing it, I don't get how that would weaken the Ne function?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Not convinced. The dope smokers I have known have been a mixture of personalities.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not convinced. The dope smokers I have known have been a mixture of personalities.
Oh, I should clarify - I don't mean that pot smokers are likely to be INTPs if I accidentally implied that in my post. I was just talking about INTP male motivation for smoking pot.

BTW (coincidence?) I've never met any ENFP (male or female) on a regular basis.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ah, getcha.:happy: Sorry, another INTP trait for not reading everything properly.
INTP tend to try and adapt to any situation, be it socially or in the work environment. They can be totally different beasts at work than out and about, but breaking it down into which function causes this....don't know enough about them to be sure. Anyhoo, it figures that if an INTP is desperate enough to, or even has to, fit in, they will suppress or ignore some of their personality traits in order to be accepted.

Frankly, though, with a few minor exceptions in my life, I regard the desperation of "running with the in crowd" as a complete waste of energy and rejected the concept in my early teens. Now, at the point of a milestone in my life, I really don't give a stuff about what other people think or where I fit in, other than with key, important people in my life. But I try and stay true to myself. honestfi by name and by nature.:happy:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was just talking about INTP male motivation for smoking pot.
Hm, not sure yet if such generalizations can be made about all the other INTP's but if this was a poll then yes, i'd belong to the spineless 'did it to fit in' camp. It was an ENFP and his merry gang of juvenile delinquents who introduced me to pot btw. Coincidence? : )

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im not going to lie, I smoke on a regular basis, quiets down the brain and it helps to enjoy life instead of constantly working out problems in my head. However, there is a flip side or trade off to this per se', there are now a lot of times where my mind goes blank when I should intuitively know an answer...kind of like fogginess.

Here's a perfect example of this "fogginess" issue I deal with: if you guys have ever seen "A Beautiful Mind" with Russell Crowe, one of the saddest scenes in the movie is right after he gets out of the mental institution, one of his friends comes to visit him and he's sitting on the porch (medicated, anti-psychotics I suppose) trying to work out an equation. He passes his notes to his friend (another mathematician) and it's all a bunch of jarbbled mess. So his friend passes back the note book to him and the look on Crowe's face is heart breaking, he says "Its just hard for me to see the answer" :sad:

...yea that sort of sums it up. I enjoy my mental faculties, but I don't want to be consumed by them.

sorry for getting off topic, but that would be my take on how it affects my Ne

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
never tried it... The guys I know who did seemed to become lazy, unmotivated and less social. As an INTP, I'm like that naturally, so what's the point? :crazy:

·
Registered
93 Posts
never tried it... The guys I know who did seemed to become lazy, unmotivated and less social. As an INTP, I'm like that naturally, so what's the point? :crazy:
hahaha dude, i know where you're coming from. There's a laziness epidemic out there and weed doesn't help the situation. I typically smoke when I get to the destination or on the way, so I have no excuse except complete the task, I'm getting older though so I understand my habits much better than I did in my teens. If I start at home, I'm much more likely to mute the phone, flip on a movie while simultaneously blasting my fav band of the day and ignore all requests from friends (btw, I do this sober too)...yea i piss off a lot of my peeps :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Pot affects people differently. I don't know that you'll find one universal answer to this. The most memorable conversations I've had on pot seem Ne based. I believe one ended up with me pondering whether you would put syrup or ketchup on a waffle burger (a burger with waffles instead of buns). Sometimes though I get caught in that Ti-Si loop of paranoia. I don't think it has a specific effect on one function. Maybe more like it suppresses one or more functions, but not always the same ones.

I guess I started to fit in. I didn't really think about it, and my friends do very little to peer pressure me, though I'll apply enough of that to myself. My girlfriend at the time objected so I actually didn't do it for a long time after I first tried it.

If I start at home, I'm much more likely to mute the phone, flip on a movie while simultaneously blasting my fav band of the day and ignore all requests from friends (btw, I do this sober too)...yea i piss off a lot of my peeps :laughing::laughing:
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of that recently. Friends (mostly smokers as well) seem a little angry/worried about me. I tried to tell them it's really just coincidental and not some kind of pattern.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This how I would have handled this situation...

Friends seem a little angry/worried about me. I tried to tell them it's really just coincidental and not some kind of pattern.
...but check this dude, I was...

pondering whether you would put syrup or ketchup on a waffle burger (a burger with waffles instead of buns).
...Brilliant? (pause) .........(silence).....I'm hungry

LMAO :laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^^

????????
^scarily insistent

I think it could affect people differently. I had a conversation recently with some artist friends of several mediums, and as a whole, we agreed that it's easier (and better) to create art while sober, while experiencing art can be accentuated by being high.

I personally am less verbally fluent with abstract thoughts and in result will tend to have more concrete conversations. I do hear more people mention "what if?" things but I personally find it hard to follow that tangent as extensively as I would sober.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Well yes, you have to give a basis for what your saying, hence my insistence. Anyway thanks for FINALLY getting back to me. So basically your saying that weed can block your 'intuitive nature' and dull it so you notice less that's going on around you? Perhaps if that's what your getting at. I'm not sure, it makes me paranoid so that could be a way of confusing your natural intuition. Hmm. I'll see next time I smoke. ; )

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've smoked pot less than five times in my life and I don't care for it. My friends noticed very little difference in my behavior when I was high (my thoughts were similar but less inhibited and I laughed at the stupidest things).

Drugs do not interest me (that includes alcohol). I love my normal state of mind.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well yes, you have to give a basis for what your saying, hence my insistence. Anyway thanks for FINALLY getting back to me. So basically your saying that weed can block your 'intuitive nature' and dull it so you notice less that's going on around you? Perhaps if that's what your getting at. I'm not sure, it makes me paranoid so that could be a way of confusing your natural intuition. Hmm. I'll see next time I smoke. ; )
I was asleep then away from the computer when you were insisting, so I couldn't have gotten back to you anyway. I'm still having trouble clearly distinguishing the cognitive functions, but now that you mention it, I feel I'm referring to extroverted intuition in particular which looks at connections around us more than in our mind.

I wonder if someone here can clearly define the differences between the way we vernacularly use intuition, and the way the word is used in Myers-Briggs? I have a hard time clearly distinguishing between the two.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Pot affects people differently. I don't know that you'll find one universal answer to this. The most memorable conversations I've had on pot seem Ne based. I believe one ended up with me pondering whether you would put syrup or ketchup on a waffle burger (a burger with waffles instead of buns)..
Neither just put peanut butter on it, and make sure you have a good size drink and juicy patty.

I was told I get very proper in speech, like a doctor or scientist, using big words.
I'm also one doesn't look stoned that much, well, at least on K2. I think pot still sent me for a loop, but I got really really high. too high.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
The biggest smokers I know are, in order:

ESTJ
INTP (me)
ENFJ
INTJ
INFJ
ENFP
ENTP
ENTP

I enjoy marijuana quite a lot. Boosts mental faculties when I need them, quiets the mind when the mind is not needed. Makes reality more 'real'... the perfect experience, and I believe I will continue to smoke.

I started at 18 and I'm 20 now... no reason to stop. I enjoy it. A lot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts