Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for help, maybe from any type but particularly other INTP's on how strong your "memory" is... maybe Si, but I don't want to dismiss what memory Ni has either. I don't really know many other INTP's, and even if I did... we probably wouldn't talk enough to discuss how well we remember things.

A distinction could be made between short term and long term memory.

In my approaching 36 years of age I have 451 rows of memories. I can picture the scene, though details have faded which includes color. I highly doubt that many could quantify the number of memories they have so I'm just hoping for general input/sharing.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm almost INTP. I don't have a photographic memory, but I'm freakish in remembering conversation details going back years. Other things are more of a general idea memory. Once I learn something interesting it sticks. That said, most names and faces, I'm weak. They don't stick the first, maybe second, time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have 451 rows of memories? Please elaborate.
Well okay, there is some spaces and some things, 5? Happened before I was born. So omit those and it's still well north of 430.

What I've done is plugged a memory into a Row in Excel. If I remember the date, great - if I don't, then it fits somewhere between known dates. You know - like logically certain memories can't happen before another, or had to have happened after a different memory. I started it last year and have been working on it off and on since. Birthdays, Holidays, School start or end dates have been extremely helpful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing! I wish I had written names down more, especially those where I can only remember a screen name or something... like that left more of a lasting impression than their first name :S

I've never considered my photographic, but if I can paint the picture in my mind then that description wouldn't be totally inaccurate.

·
Registered
605 Posts
There is alot of books which have technics that improve your memory ... i just didn't read it to the end.
I forget where i put my pen but i can remember complete piano pieces and alot of random stuff...

I guess my memory is average expect for intuitive stuff but i think if we study and persevere we are gonna get better at.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would be a pretty good game show contestant. Remembering conversations word for word? No.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is alot of books which have technics that improve your memory ... i just didn't read it to the end.
I forget where i put my pen but i can remember complete piano pieces and alot of random stuff...

I guess my memory is average expect for intuitive stuff but i think if we study and persevere we are gonna get better at.
FWIW, I definitely feel the crappy short term memory but awesome long-term memory. What information is going to get filtered out and not retained in Si? I am known for losing things, even when they're in a pocket of my pants.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would be a pretty good game show contestant. Remembering conversations word for word? No.
I've thought about how much fun that could be, being on a game show or reality show. Not really Jeopardy, but maybe Wheel of Fortune, Price is Right... when I was a kid, Gutz! Double Dare, and Wild and Crazy Kids looked like fun.

At this point, I just tell people I'm not going to remember details so just go with it.... especially if they're talking to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts