Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can you think of any? Classical or modern.

The only one I can really think of as a possibility is Matt Bellamy from Muse, he is extroverted on stage but pretty shy in real life. And none of the lyrics were personal until the latest album, so it took him like 10 years before he even wrote about his own life. Usually it is about something sciency....

Any others? I was thinking maybe Weird Al but he's probably more ENTP.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I googled musical INTP's and Maynord often came up, so I think we can pin him down as such. What about Rivers Cuomo from Weezer?

It is also interesting that a majority of INTP's play an instrument or have a large interest in music..... why do you think none of them pursue it full time?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Lou Reed of The Velvet Underground. One of the most influential songwriters in music history. +1 for you INTPs with that one!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It is also interesting that a majority of INTP's play an instrument or have a large interest in music..... why do you think none of them pursue it full time?
I learned to play several instruments, but I don't play any of them very well. off and on I have been interested in learning more about music theory, but not to do anything with it, just to understand better what I'm listening to. for example, if I hear a chord or chord progression that sounds appealing to me, I want to know what it is and perhaps identify the same chord progression in other songs that I like. I'm not interested in playing music or performing for other people.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I learned to play several instruments, but I don't play any of them very well. off and on I have been interested in learning more about music theory, but not to do anything with it, just to understand better what I'm listening to. for example, if I hear a chord or chord progression that sounds appealing to me, I want to know what it is and perhaps identify the same chord progression in other songs that I like. I'm not interested in playing music or performing for other people.
I think that may be the biggest folly for INTP musicians, a musician usually performs. Although there have been a select few who have gotten by on composition and giving lessons.... Maybe Chopin? Because he didn't like to give public performances, and he was particularly social, although was often noted as being witty and clever. While his music is rather emotional it's not like he has gushy lyrics, or anything, possible INTP?

Or what about MArty O'Donnell? (did the Halo soundtrack)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I used to be in a band. I wrote all the songs, so I was elected the leader. It was unfortunate, though. I never got around to booking us a gig, and after a year of aimless practice, they got tired of it and left. A year later, I heard one of them made a demo of a song of mine and called it his own. Well, good for him. At least someone was doing something about it. :laughing:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I thought it was determined that Brian Eno was, or is ENTP more likely?

Brian Eno, Member of the Board of Directors - The Long Now

What about Jean-Philippe Rameau ("His speech was difficult to understand, just like his handwriting, which was never fluent. As a man, he was secretive, solitary, irritable, proud of his own achievements (more as a theorist than as a composer), brusque with those who contradicted him, and quick to anger. It is difficult to imagine him among the leading wits, including Voltaire (to whom he bears more than a passing physical resemblance[28]), who frequented La Pouplinière's salon; his music was his passport, and it made up for his lack of social graces...His enemies exaggerated his faults; e.g. his supposed miserliness. In fact, it seems that his thriftiness was the result of long years spent in obscurity (when his income was uncertain and scanty) rather than part of his character, because he could also be generous...Financial security came late to him, following the success of his stage works and the grant of a royal pension (a few months before his death, he was also ennobled and made a knight of the Ordre de Saint-Michel). But he did not change his way of life, keeping his worn-out clothes, his single pair of shoes, and his old furniture. After his death, it was discovered that he only possessed one dilapidated single-keyboard harpsichord..." - as summarized in the Wikipedia article) or Sergei Ivanovich Taneyev, or maybe Leos Janacek?

Find Rameau on either iTunes store or Amazon.

Reactions: xezene

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Man.... I never really thought Maynard was a possible INTP.
I'm going to start listening to his work to see if the lyrics really strike me in any way.

I remember a few songs he wrote about lack of faith and disbelief in God that I really enjoyed.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Tool on being told their band sold out. An insightful reply given bluntly through song. Maynard doesn't seem to have a problem with deep thought or sharing those thoughts.

Hooker with a Penis - I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a dope beastie-tee, nipple rings, and new tattoos that claimed that he was OGT, from '92, the first EP. and in between sips of coke he told me that he thought we were sellin' out, layin' down, suckin' up to the man. Well now I've got some advice for you, little buddy. Before you point the finger you should know that I'm the man, and if I'm the man, then you're the man, and he's the man as well so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass. All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit, and you bought one. So I've got some Advice for you, little buddy. Before you point your finger You should know that I'm the man. If I'm the fuckin' man then you're the fuckin' man as well, So you can Point that fuckin' finger up your ass. All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit, And you bought one. All you read and Wear or see and Hear on TV Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar So ... Shut up and Buy my new record Send more money Fuck you, buddy.

Sounds pretty INTP to me. I may just want to claim it :tongue:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts