Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So early this morning I heard my mom and sister in the kitchen babbling on about how my sis met some hot guy at the airport. I wasn't listening much into the conversation until my mom brought up my sister's ex who was apparently a "needy guy" something of that nature, here's where the double standard comes in, mom stated "You should always try and find a man who will take care of you, it's not right for a woman to be taking care of a man. It should always be the opposite." Her exact words, now this get's under my skin because I don't see the crime in both genders taking care of one another, why is it that men are expected to be these financially endowed beings who are just supposed to cater to any woman he is romantically involved with, without a second thought. While the expectations for a woman are unreasonably low?

Reactions: Tanuchiro

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Well men have expectations of wimen makin' em sammiches...

But really, I think that it is only fair for both parties to take care of one another. In a relationship, shouldn't everything be mutual? I wouldn't really know, but that's what I think about this issue. It doesn't make sense how some women think that it is the man's obligation to bring home the bacon. She is just as capable of having similar financial standings.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well men have expectations of wimen makin' em sammiches...

But really, I think that it is only fair for both parties to take care of one another. In a relationship, shouldn't everything be mutual? I wouldn't really know, but that's what I think about this issue. It doesn't make sense how some women think that it is the man's obligation to bring home the bacon. She is just as capable of having similar financial standings.
That's my point, it seems so archaic and late 50's to think in such a way. If a man is being taken care of by his girlfriend, all of a sudden he becomes an unproductive lazy ass. While she's the tortured soul slaving over his right to be treated as a lover. No matter the financial position of both parties.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think women are insulting themselves when they subscribe to the notion that a man is supposed to support them financially as opposed to being self-sufficient or supporting each other.
It's a blow to both genders when it all boils down to it, it's just women get the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
That's my point, it seems so archaic and late 50's to think in such a way. If a man is being taken care of by his girlfriend, all of a sudden he becomes an unproductive lazy ass. While she's the tortured soul slaving over his right to be treated as a lover. No matter the financial position of both parties.
Some people just don't want to question "tradition" and so they continue to follow these archaic notions. I understand when someone says that the man can care for a women by protecting her from some physical harms, even though there are some women who can slaughter some men. But aside from this, there should be a form of equality imo.

But back to the financial aspect: there are some cases where a women would not have the same financial perks as men because there are still people who discriminate based on gender. Really, there needs to be a change in the system.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some people just don't want to question "tradition" and so they continue to follow these archaic notions. I understand when someone says that the man can care for a women by protecting her from some physical harms, even though there are some women who can slaughter some men. But aside from this, there should be a form of equality imo.

But back to the financial aspect: there are some cases where a women would not have the same financial perks as men because there are still people who discriminate based on gender. Really, there needs to be a change in the system.
It's stressful in my situation, since my mom constantly pushes me to "get my education" because "No woman want's a man without an education." Which is utter bs, I told her "There are unlimited alternatives for acquiring money, especially so when it comes to knowledge." and she rebutted with "Well lol you ain't gettin' no women because no women want a man without one." as though it's some kind of enchanted charm that once acquired allures millions of women in a unison line waiting to get with me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like to buy my own shit, I don't need to rely on my bf or anyone to pay or support me in anyway. I think secretly some guys like girls that lean on them as support for leverage and stuff.
Well of course, who wouldn't want to be supported in a tough bind?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
It's stressful in my situation, since my mom constantly pushes me to "get my education" because "No woman want's a man without an education." Which is utter bs, I told her "There are unlimited alternatives for acquiring money, especially so when it comes to knowledge." and she rebutted with "Well lol you ain't gettin' no women because no women want a man without one." as though it's some kind of enchanted charm that once acquired allures millions of women in a unison line waiting to get with me.
I think your mother means that women don't want someone who's brainless, but that can be applied to anyone really. An education is usually equated to intelligence, so some people see eduation != stupidity, when in reality, it's education necessarily != intelligence.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Your mom actually said "lol"?! Even though she has these ancient notions, she's up-to-date on internet lingo.

Anyway, I think gender inequality and double standards are stupid. Guys should make their own freaking sandwiches once in a while. :p

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think your mother means that women don't want someone who's brainless, but that can be applied to anyone really. An education is usually equated to intelligence, so some people see eduation != stupidity, when in reality, it's education necessarily != intelligence.
Well yeah actually that's exactly how I view education. Education = stupidity, intelligence and education are two crucially separate things that I hate when people get confused. There's a reason the great minds of our century despised education.

Reactions: theflavouroflife

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your mom actually said "lol"?! Even though she has these ancient notions, she's up-to-date on internet lingo.

Anyway, I think gender inequality and double standards are stupid. Guys should make their own freaking sandwiches once in a while. :p
Ha, well of course she didn't actually say "lol". And I think men who usually say things like "make me a sammwich" or "why aren't you in the kitchen." are joking, or butthurt they can't get any women.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Well yeah actually that's exactly how I view education. Education = stupidity, intelligence and education are two crucially separate things that I hate when people get confused. There's a reason the great minds of our century despised education.
I didn't say education = stupidity, I said that education doesn't guarantee any type of intelligence, whether or not stupidity is thrown in.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't say education = stupidity, I said that education doesn't guarantee any type of intelligence, whether or not stupidity is thrown in.
Right, that also applies. I feel as though what my mother meant when she said that as though it was some kind of social and financial perk when it comes to getting with women, not an actual way to build upon knowledge.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Right, that also applies. I feel as though what my mother meant when she said that as though it was some kind of social and financial perk when it comes to getting with women, not an actual way to build upon knowledge.
So she sees education as some "in" to get women?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So she sees education as some "in" to get women?
Not only that, but to seem important in general. Anyway the whole point of the thread was to enlighten men on knowing why so many expectations and obligations are pushed on us, and why women get the benefit of the doubt in most of these situations, not the social qualms I have with my mother lol.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Not only that, but to seem important in general. Anyway the whole point of the thread was to enlighten men on knowing why so many expectations and obligations are pushed on us, and why women get the benefit of the doubt in most of these situations, not the social qualms I have with my mother lol.
Yeah sorry, it's the derailment power of the INTP.

Back on topic: Women are probably given the benefit of the doubt because of how we are typically viewed as feeble damsels in distress (I despise the women who contribute to this trend). And who gets to rescue us? The strong, capable men -___-

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah sorry, it's the derailment power of the INTP.

Back on topic: Women are probably given the benefit of the doubt because of how we are typically viewed as feeble damsels in distress (I despise the women who contribute to this trend). And who gets to rescue us? The strong, capable men -___-
HA! Touche, it seems even though the proclaimed "independent women" some times heed to this perk. A lot of women fall on to these double standards whenever they feel wronged by a man in any way, what irritates me the most are either the white knights who go along with it, or the sexist idiots who agree with this kind of inequality.

Reactions: Peripheral
1 - 20 of 105 Posts