Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm wondering if it's possible to switch between personality types depending on the circumstances. I've been finding lately that when it comes to deep personal relationships (i.e. dating or leading into dating, close friendships etc) I think I tend to move more to the F side than T. In any other situation I'm a pretty solid INTP, but I seem to have an easier time getting touchy feely than other INTPS. Does that mean that I have something like a secondary type or that I've just managed to develop my F side? While I'm on the subject, how do you categorize someone who can function on both levels? Thoughts, anyone?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
intps have fe

Ti, Ne, Si, Fe..

so it might not be used as much but yes, we still have some f. since its Fe it will probably come out more around people, like you talked about

·
Registered
743 Posts
So, I'm wondering if it's possible to switch between personality types depending on the circumstances. I've been finding lately that when it comes to deep personal relationships (i.e. dating or leading into dating, close friendships etc) I think I tend to move more to the F side than T. In any other situation I'm a pretty solid INTP, but I seem to have an easier time getting touchy feely than other INTPS. Does that mean that I have something like a secondary type or that I've just managed to develop my F side? While I'm on the subject, how do you categorize someone who can function on both levels? Thoughts, anyone?
I don't think it's possible to switch between types, at least in such a period of time.

Can you explain better what you mean by moving to F? INTPs can still feel strong emotions, if that's what you mean. Especially in the beginning of a strong emotional relationship. In fact I think INTPs tend to be the most emotional NTs.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Learn about the cognitive functions. It's easier to start looking at them in tandem, TiFe or FiTe. It's like a seesaw, where the balance will probably be more weighted on one side: Ti for TPs and Fe for FJs, Fi for FPs and Te for TJs. There should be plenty of resources on this forum to help you with that. :happy:

477 Posts
It's absolutely possible to be in between T and F (seems very common among INXP's). You might want to look into the enneagram types for a more accurate description of yourself as well; while INTP and INFP both describe me fairly accurately, only 5w4 describes me perfectly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just read through the behaviors and I guess I'm a weirdo lol. I definitely Identify with Ti and Ne, but in the instances I mentioned in the OP, Fi describes me very well. I'm going to look into the enneagram too (thanks, sub) to see what that has to say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yup. Totally agree with OP. I kind of fence sit on the T and F. Regarding close relationships with family, long time friends, or a SO, F is undeniable and given more free roam.

Maybe age and maturity has a huge impact also. I willingly choose to utilize my F functions more in personal situations. With the 'outside' world I'm a stubborn T :dry:

·
Registered
266 Posts
ok, I have a stupid question..why exactly do we feel this strong urge to "fit into" some personality type?

I have recently given up on astrology, after 5 years of following it, telling myself I gotta consider the possibility that it's crap and I'm self-delusional, but NOW, I gotta say, psychology is the exact same shit. Only instead of 12 signs of the zodiac, you have 16 personality types(in this system).
And it brings the exact same challenges-meaning, the risk of finding out your type and using it as an excuse for certain types of behavior, or, worse than that, build all these walls in your head around your self-image that end up crippling you, preventing progress.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I guess the danger is in letting your type define you instead of remembering that you define your type. I was curious about my F tendencies because it seemed out of the ordinary for people to demonstrate strength in a cognitive function that isn't generally applied to people of their type. I am who I am, and four letters aren't going to change that, but it's interesting to see not only how you are like other people, but how you may differ. I've discovered that I have the capability to prefer the Fi function over Ti under some circumstances and the opposite in most others, and that doesn't seem to be usual, so I find it interesting. Now, if I was concerned that I was some kind of freak because I don't fit perfectly within the definition of a typical INTP, then I'd probably have to get off the typing trend lol.

·
Registered
743 Posts
ok, I have a stupid question..why exactly do we feel this strong urge to "fit into" some personality type?

I have recently given up on astrology, after 5 years of following it, telling myself I gotta consider the possibility that it's crap and I'm self-delusional, but NOW, I gotta say, psychology is the exact same shit. Only instead of 12 signs of the zodiac, you have 16 personality types(in this system).
And it brings the exact same challenges-meaning, the risk of finding out your type and using it as an excuse for certain types of behavior, or, worse than that, build all these walls in your head around your self-image that end up crippling you, preventing progress.
Instead of using it as an excuse for your bad behaviour, why not try to use it as an explanation for your bad behaviour so you can then focus on improving yourself from there? You can't fix a problem without identifying it first.

And unlike astrology, psychology isn't all bullshit so you might actually get somewhere with this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts