Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I get some things done, and some things I do not get done. I have a great many ideas/projects. Some I carry through to complete fruition, many more I just start and fiddle around with now and then but never have a real chance of getting done.

I canot say that either of the above would fit me, then. It would be better to say "I get things done when a) someone else enforces a deadline, b) I see a real and practical reason to get the project done (which usually turns the project into a chore by the end, if I complete it for this reason), or c) I love the project so much that I obsessively work on it until it is finished, to the consternation of all those around me.

I am also not sure what it is that you assert ENTP's/INTP's are supposed to not be caring about. Life? Logic? The universe? Feelings? Other people? Copulation?

While I test back and forth between ENTP/INTP on tests, and get ~50/50 on tests with breakdowns, one thing that does make me consider INTP is my hatred of brevity. I will be concise if I have to be, but unless I have sufficient time to make sure the shorter version contains the same information/soundness as the original, I would rather speak as long as necessary to convey the argument and its process. I can be concise, such as in an open discussion where I have a few seconds to come up with a 'ten second argument' in favor of my point or in counter to someone elses, and if I don't interject, I'll miss my window. I dislike the lack of full information, but it does the job equally well to decimate opposing arguments.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I only hang out with one or two people everyday, going to my college classes drains me so I have been leaning toward INTP but I also enjoy the idea of possibly at some point in the future being around a lot of people, maybe, so ENTP.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What's the difference between an INTP with well developed Ne and an ENTP with a well developed Ti function? Several times I've questioned it, and even a long discussion with an INTP who's exceptionally good at typing and knows me better than I do can't resolve it.
Eh, the cognitive functions don't exist. They're something of a throwback from the days of Jung, and they can't be measured or detected on any known test. In fact, what tests have been done have found no evidence for any the claims that are made for cognitive functions.

Everyone may now share their favorite anecdote for why the cognitive functions are real. ;P

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I find myself thinking a lot of the same things you do, @Amonite .
I've kind of settled on identifying as an ambivert, though.

It seems to me like your (and actually mine too) trouble arises from where you get your energy from. Because in stressed situations you become introverted, but is that a result of anxiety or a result of needing to collect energy?
I don't really know enough to ask the right questions to figure that out, though.
Anyone?

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Eh, the cognitive functions don't exist. They're something of a throwback from the days of Jung, and they can't be measured or detected on any known test. In fact, what tests have been done have found no evidence for any the claims that are made for cognitive functions.

Everyone may now share their favorite anecdote for why the cognitive functions are real. ;P
Nope, you may now quote your evidence for your claim.

On topic:
Get someone to observe you and tell you this:
Do you sound more unsure/ puzzled/childlike/amused about your own thoughtprocess when you share your thoughts? = ENTP
..... when you share your observations? = INTP

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nope, you may now quote your evidence for your claim.
I have a summary of the research started, but it's not done yet. Maybe next month. :happy:

Reactions: FlaviaGemina

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you get into a mental sparring match with INTP/ENTP, the ENTP is far more likely to win. In a sparring match, the time you have to respond is limited and INTP's need time to process. An ENTP is more likely to have already formed his opinion and can throw things off of the cuff effortlessly.

Mind you, ENTP's operate better with processing time, but without it, they can function. As an INTP, in a mental sparring match, if I put too much stress on the fact that I MUST respond, every part of me freezes and goes silent. I am then left to just stand there (mind you, I have the perfect comeback to every point made 5-10 minutes later and I want to hit myself for not seeing it sooner).

It is not about how strong the Ne/Ti is, but which order the brain utilizes them that counts in this situation. Under stress, people go to what they do best. An ENTP will utilize Ne to improvise a response, and an INTP will instantly flip to Ti by nature, and Ti will be unable to provide a comeback to a conversation which is of a more Ne nature. It will simply give 'Not enough information provided' message, and quiet down.
This annoys me about being an intp. It's like entp's are who intp's wish they could be. I would be so much more clever socially etc if I was an entp.

·
Registered
632 Posts

How dare you think different from us! I DEMAND SATISFACTION!

·
Registered
650 Posts

Doesn't that mean this whole website is a sham ? I mean certainly myers briggs can't have validity if the cognative functions don't have validity.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

Ummm... where's your proof?

·
Registered
47 Posts
How dare you think different from us! I DEMAND SATISFACTION!
*smacks Briguy's cheek with glove* You have offended my honor sir! Choose your weapon.
I always wanted to say that. :crazy:

Doesn't that mean this whole website is a sham ? I mean certainly myers briggs can't have validity if the cognative functions don't have validity.
Sure it can. :) The cognitive functions are sort of like an expansion pack for an existing game; they're not required to play. The existence of E - I, S - N, T - F, and J - P can all be tested and quantified. (And they have been.) The cognitive functions have been tested but without satisfactory results.

It's half-finished. ;p Do you have any proof that the cognitive functions do exist? (I mean other than personal anecdotes.) I can tell you that the academic type community doesn't have any proof; rather, there is a small handful of studies that attempted to prove the existence of the functions and failed, as well as several studies that would seem to disprove the existence of the cognitive functions altogether.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Lol tested ? What does that even mean ? "thinking" doesn't exist, the same way "jogging" doesn't exist. It's not a physical thing like "here is thinking I can hold it in my hand!". Please explain how these have been "tested".

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Well definitively speaking the different between ENTP and INTP is the E and the I.

E stands for Extroversion while I stands for Introversion.

These two... thingies are all based around "Energy-gathering" as defined by some psych book I read in the park, friggng naked hobo.. Anyways...

So by that logic, there should be some distinct variance in their "energy levels" in comparison to one another.

The rest, I have not read yet, nor will I submit any of my guesses, since I have been staring at that one dude's dia de los muertos skull.gif thing for minutes on end and I feel weird.

pfftsch, feel.

·
Registered
733 Posts
ENTP 5w6 sp/sx, supposedly. I can't really answer this one but I would like to know for myself. I can tell you in no way do I see myself as an extrovert. Whether it is possible to be an extrovert in terms of brain function, and yet somehow incredibly introverted at the same time, is a popular notion going around that I play with but am unsure whether to buy into. I identify more with 5w6 then I do ENTP.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Actually....
There is no proof about most of Jung's theories, jungian style psychology borders on astrology in terms of empirical evidence ._.

...Don't kill me.

HOWEVER, it is fun to do those personality tests, I usually just use them as naught more than outside personal opinions of random people, which is a good ego boost.

I still wonder the validity of VisualDNA though, it's filled with so many ads that in...flu...ence..
hmmm...

21 - 40 of 64 Posts