Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have no desire to socialize and feel comfortable spending months alone.
However, when I am in public, I am the life of the party, I'm the dominant person of the group and I never feel exhausted after socializing.
Fuck me right?

·
Registered
87 Posts
^You kidding? I'm so jealous, you have the best of both worlds. I am pretty social at this point, after years of practice, but I can only 'turn on' for so long... still need plenty of 'off' hours in my home, ignoring all other humans, to recharge.

My ENTP boyfriend (who's not all that into the MBTI though he has taken the test) is under the impression he's INTP because he likes to do things alone/doesn't need to socialize. It is to LOL - I've never seen anyone who can get so charged up from interacting with other people, he is the life of every party, hates staying home (though is most often doing solitary things when out and about), and is so, so obviously a Ne-dominant. I don't argue with him though. ;)

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
What's the difference between an INTP with well developed Ne and an ENTP with a well developed Ti function? Several times I've questioned it, and even a long discussion with an INTP who's exceptionally good at typing and knows me better than I do can't resolve it.

Now, a little about me without hijacking the thread: I enjoy conversations, I verbally and mentally spar and I enjoy it, even when I'm getting angry. I take a long time to form opinions and frequently second-guess myself but once I do, I am vocal about it, though I'm always open to something that will change my mind - if it's good enough. My head's in the clouds. I tend to get bored with things easily and drop them, but I crave security and familiarity. I have no issues expressing my feelings and have a knack for understanding how people work, though this goes wrong as soon as I care about them most of the time. People often bore me. Those that don't I talk to for hours on end and don't leave alone, I find them so interesting. At parties I have a conflict between wanting everyone to know that I'm an individual and know lots of things, and finding people dull and uncomfortable. Parties leave me uncomfortable in my own skin. Feelings do, too. If I become stressed and rant at people, express too much of myself, or otherwise indulge in emotions where people can hear me, I berate myself and feel awful for it, but I can't help it. I make logical decisions but consider my emotional well-being to be a factor worth taking into consideration when I make a decision.
Anything else, just ask.

So tell me - what's the difference? And could you, from that, tell me?
In a moment I'll read more of this thread but ENTPs (Ne) are perceivers and INTPs (Ti) are judgers. Because extraverted intuition is a perceiving function, ENTPs come across as more open-minded (good) and more distractible (bad).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I find myself thinking a lot of the same things you do, @Amonite .
I've kind of settled on identifying as an ambivert, though.

It seems to me like your (and actually mine too) trouble arises from where you get your energy from. Because in stressed situations you become introverted, but is that a result of anxiety or a result of needing to collect energy?
I don't really know enough to ask the right questions to figure that out, though.
Anyone?
I'm on the border between E/I myself with E winning out over I in mbti tests only by about 20%, so here are a few stuff you could look for to decide which one you are:

1.Serious/Relaxed: This one might sound weird but generally INTPs have a stiff posture and speak in a clipped, careful way while ENTPs spread themselves in a relaxed fashion and talk freely without much thought beforehand.

2.Reading: This isn't the reading of books( all NTPs are obsessed with it) but it's the reading of people.Whenever someone speaks or interacts with you, do you have an immediate sense of recognition of what they are trying to say and can you identify them under some general rule you have used to classify characters before?If you can then you are probably an ENTP(this relates to the Fe cognitive function).On the other hand since INTPs tend to take things literally they fail to recognize little signals people try to convey in their speech.

3.Certainty: Are there things you feel certain about, such as logic, for example? Or do you consider everything(including logic) as the intuitive construction of the amazing thing that's between our ears? If you don't need a bulwark of knowledge to place yourself upon and rely on intuitive probabilities instead of logical certainties then you would be an ENTP and vice versa.

4.Energy: This one you've probably heard of a lot so I'll put it in a different way.Think of the things you do best in life( for example your career). Do you feel new ideas springing up in your mind when you're talking to friends aboout these things or do you feel that the ideas you have are draining out of you when you talk to people?In other words, do you become more productive when in society or when alone?The first is ENTP the second INTP.

If this isn't enough try the socionics test on sociotype.com.I've found that I relate far better to the socionics ENTp with Ne dominant than to the mbti equivalent.

Besides whenever you're on the border between ENTP and INTP, it's a lot more likely that you are an ENTP because they are after all the most introverted extrovert while INTPs are not the most extroverted introverts.

Hope this helps:tongue:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have found that the ILI-INTp socionomics type fits me best.

As for your points,

1) Posture and speech depends on how well I know the person, what the setting is, and how much I am trying to 'fake' being social. When I was younger I had a very stiff and reserved posture, which I have learned over time to relax. I have also studied posture cues that help release tension in social situations, or build solidarity with others. I am careful with word-choice either way, but I speak freely if it is a discussion-format and more sparingly if it is a social context.

2) I can read people well, but not via intuition. This is a skill I have learned/practice over time by researching social cues, then analyzing those tells in view of social setting, prior information about the person, and logical probability. If 'stuck', I can usually repeat the scene and details to a relationally intuitive person, and they can describe the feeling behind the behavior.

3) I definitely lean towards logic, however probability itself can be a factor in analysis. I hold to logic and other natural laws as truths underlying our interaction with the world, not as abstract constructs.

4) I do find myself brainstorming many new ideas with certain friends, and am very vocal in brainstorming sessions as comments trigger new ideas. However, aside from a couple friends, I usually find this more draining than productive. Often, a group or person will want to 'narrow down' possibilities too soon, and start addressing a practical solution before the problem has been fully understood or discussed. As such, I am usually more 'productive' and find it less draining to come up with solutions or creative ideas when alone. Back in school, I found group projects draining both intellectually and socially, and they resulted in inferior work to solo-projects. [The exception being one excellent group in college that broke the mold, as the others were skilled and we brainstormed our approach thoroughly].

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Adult INTPs and ENTPs can be almost identical. You can't judge them by their imagination and logical abilities, or superficial behavior. The major difference is that an ENTP focuses more on getting new ideas, whereas an INTP focuses on analyzing what he has. So what process do you sacrifice first, which one is the hardest to interrupt ? Also, I'm not sure if it's a valid observation, but under stress, I usually notice that EPs will tend to think about something else whereas IPs will obsess over the source of stress. Might be totally biased though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have found that the ILI-INTp socionomics type fits me best.

As for your points,

1) Posture and speech depends on how well I know the person, what the setting is, and how much I am trying to 'fake' being social. When I was younger I had a very stiff and reserved posture, which I have learned over time to relax. I have also studied posture cues that help release tension in social situations, or build solidarity with others. I am careful with word-choice either way, but I speak freely if it is a discussion-format and more sparingly if it is a social context.

2) I can read people well, but not via intuition. This is a skill I have learned/practice over time by researching social cues, then analyzing those tells in view of social setting, prior information about the person, and logical probability. If 'stuck', I can usually repeat the scene and details to a relationally intuitive person, and they can describe the feeling behind the behavior.

3) I definitely lean towards logic, however probability itself can be a factor in analysis. I hold to logic and other natural laws as truths underlying our interaction with the world, not as abstract constructs.

4) I do find myself brainstorming many new ideas with certain friends, and am very vocal in brainstorming sessions as comments trigger new ideas. However, aside from a couple friends, I usually find this more draining than productive. Often, a group or person will want to 'narrow down' possibilities too soon, and start addressing a practical solution before the problem has been fully understood or discussed. As such, I am usually more 'productive' and find it less draining to come up with solutions or creative ideas when alone. Back in school, I found group projects draining both intellectually and socially, and they resulted in inferior work to solo-projects. [The exception being one excellent group in college that broke the mold, as the others were skilled and we brainstormed our approach thoroughly].
In a nutshell, I think you are more likely an INTP(not judging merely from what you said but how you said it as well)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm on the border between E/I myself with E winning out over I in mbti tests only by about 20%, so here are a few stuff you could look for to decide which one you are:

Wow, nice job, kid.
Excellent description.

I've stopped caring as much because I'm still in a high velocity self development stage. I'll try again when I'm 20-something.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I'm an ENTP with well developed Ti. I'm an Ne-dom, but def appreciate my Ti more. Annd I'm not even an ambivert, I'm a very obvious extravert.

But it's in the tertiary functions where you can tell them apart. ENTPs are more mindful of other people and have better communicative skills (more Fe) and are less structured (handicapped Si). An ENTP is more likely to dominate the conversation or put in effort to show off their wits and perform.

·
Registered
427 Posts
ENTPs are assholes, while INTPs are annoying.
I'd take the asshole over the annoying any day.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I actually had a pretty funny screenshot for this exact phenomenon earlier today.

I had to leave a conversation with an ENTP and an INTP at the same time, so I put down my phone. I was talking to them separately and hadn't been able to finish my thoughts.

ENTP:
lol
where are you
come back
I'm v needy
come backkkkkk
did you die

INTP:
LOL

They both love debating, but the INTP can drill deeper into the details of a point much more easily. The INTP also hates when I randomly switch topics, so I do it just to bother him. :tongue:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm very close to being an ambivert, and in fact I suspect that if I didn't suffer from bipolar (type 2) related depression I'd probably be more ENTP. I test INTP now, but there are times that I get very energized from socializing. I ultimately need my veg time, however.

The different weighting of Ne vs. Ti is simply too subtle in most INTP's and ENTP's for you to successfully differentiate it - both traits are VERY strong in both types, and they also work too much in conjunction with each other. Asking whether someone's thinking is more indicative of being Ti-Ne versus Ne-Ti is like the chicken-egg scenario.

It really does come down to where you ultimately recharge your batteries. In other words, if you feel tired or mentally drained, do you seek out people to socialize with in order to lose that fatigue, or do you retreat into your favorite, solitary corner and recharge in solitude.

ENTP's are going to tend to be more dynamic social personalities than INTP's. While not every ENTP will be this way, you'll definitely have some "life of the party" types who are more demonstrative, crack-ups which would be a rarity for an INTP. The stereotypical INTP won't seem as confident socially as the stereotypical ENTP.

That said, I've heard ENTP's on this forum say that they feel more introverted than other "E's", which makes sense because what they mean is that sometimes Ne-Ti needs some time alone to fly along and let ideas blossom without the interruptions that come from social interaction.

Anyway, this is best thought of as a difference of degree rather than kind . . . but then it should be anyway because MBTI is just talking about preferences rather than absolutes, right?
How old are you?
You might be just a young ENTP after all.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Easiest way to tell is definitely where you pull your energy from - internal thought or external socializing. I summed it up for myself in this way - if you need to have some peace and quiet alone before you go out, your introverted. If you can go out at 5pm, and stay out until 6am without once thinking - I need to get away - you're extroverted.

I've noticed a lot of people referring to enjoying "being alone" while being E's, and I's who love socializing and having this cause a rift of their type. But just because either likes to do what the other is known for doesn't mean you're one or the other. I love to hang out, and feel that if I don't find a medium to test my little theories internally through observation (being around people) I start to feel worse than if I was around people all day.

What it boils down to though is where you draw your energy - internally or externally.
I realize this is a 3 y.o. post, but I'd like to clear something. I never quite got the part about drawing energy internally or externally. I mean, what does that even mean?
I like to think about it as NOT SPENDING energy as opposed to "drawing energy". I am an introvert, so being alone doesn't drain me, it allows my energy to refill while going out and socializing requires energy on my part, which is why it becomes tiring. My point is that you don't waste energy on things, which is why you recover, rather than drawing it.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I realize this is a 3 y.o. post, but I'd like to clear something. I never quite got the part about drawing energy internally or externally. I mean, what does that even mean?
I like to think about it as NOT SPENDING energy as opposed to "drawing energy". I am an introvert, so being alone doesn't drain me, it allows my energy to refill while going out and socializing requires energy on my part, which is why it becomes tiring. My point is that you don't waste energy on things, which is why you recover, rather than drawing it.
I think the whole energy thing is just a metaphor analogy thing, which is prob easier for Feelers to judge based off of. I think a better way to tell is by figuring out which situations cause more anxiety social situations or being alone. I feel the energy thing is not so much gaining energy as recuperating from anxiety. However, if you're in a comfortable setting/low stress time in your life either can be good so it's not really a matter of preferring one over the other as much as where you're more likely to encounter anxiety.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Oh, you can tell. Sorry, I just saw the title, and I'm not going deep on this one.
INTP and ENTP. I know multiples of both these types. I get along better with INTPs usually.
I can feel the difference very clearly being around both of them. ENTPs can be cool too though.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does age have a bearing on it? A lot of people have more responsibility as they get older, work longer hours, have more stress etc. They might have a family, stop going out as much and seem less extroverted.

I've also found myself using Fe more as I've got older, so don't think of myself as cold or unemotional. When people whittle on about feely stuff I do privately think stfu, but wouldn't say it, because that would be hurtful and non-productive.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts