Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. all these years I thought I was an INTP due to having a repressed childhood, I guess I naturally assumed I was an introvert since it was all I was used to. But I wrote a little thing up here a while ago about myself and loads of people said I sounded like an ENTP. First I wasn't so sure.. But I've been reading up on ENTP functions and it DOES actually sound like me. Actually the more I read up on ENTP the less I identify with the INTP profile.. I'm just too spontaneous to be as rigid as an INTP and I can't stand being inside my own head for that long anyway..

So naturally I thought, hang on, am I not a little too extraverted to be an INTP? Since most INTP's are like 100% introverted.. and I'm 48% extraverted (last time I took the test) and an average ENTP is only like 53% extraverted anyway. So I decided to do an experiment over the last fortnight to see whether I'm truly introverted or extroverted.

I decided to get out of the house as much as I could and actually TRY as hard as I could to interact with people, rather than just shutting off. I went to a house party, met up with a load of old friends, and went sight seeing (actually saw Stonehenge today for the first time ever). And I was really surprised at the results.

1) I am actually naturally EXTREMELY good with people.. something I never even realize before the last two weeks. I made SO many friends at the party without even meaning to.. I must've got like at least ten hugs when I left. Nothing like this has ever happened before. I was really talkative and humorous, and seem to have a knack for complimenting people. Some of my dry jokes were lost on some people mind..

2) After being somewhere completely new I was FULL of energy afterwards when I got home.. to the point where I annoyed all my family with all my talking/singing/joking around ect. Usually I'm just really quiet at home and keep to myself.. but I've found myself so full of energy lately.. I don't even realize when I'm annoying someone. (It's turned into heated arguments a few times.. something I've been careful to avoid in the past, but now can't even bring myself to care about it.)

3) I find myself waking up really happy.. wanting to actually go outside (seriously?!) and when I come back home and go on the computer it makes me feel sick, like it reminds me of how drained I was before, and I just want to go back out again. And if I don't go back out I start to feel really depressed again and tired, and stop talking completely. I just get this urge to take the dog out for a walk or something (taking a different route each time, but not planning it) and then I feel a little better when I come back home.

4) I feel like my social-anxiety has almost completely gone now. In the short space of two weeks, my confidence has gone through the roof. I have so much energy, I'm sitting here practically shaking with it as I write, needing to go do something again.

It's so weird, I never knew this side to me existed. So I think that definitely confirms that I'm just a socially repressed (although hopefully not for much longer) ENTP and not an INTP. Now what to do with all this energy.. haha!

Hope that was interesting/inspiring to anyone who reads it. Just wanted to share :)

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
That was inspiring! :) You have accomplished your goal.

You actually sound a lot like me when I realized I was Extroverted I, too, had a repressed childhood (My folks, God bless 'em, basically kept me in solitary confinement the first 13 years of my life.), and not until college did I truly branch out. I remember my first party and behaving exactly how you describe :)

Do you have Intoverted parents by any chance? In my experience, these parents project their preferences onto their children. (They are both SJ's, too, so they made me be punctual to the extent that it was socially awkward) Also you say it's "what you were used to", which really connects with me, as well.

I'm so glad you have realized your Visionary-ness ^.^
I can just feel your joy leaping from the computer screen.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was bullied at primary school so then was taken out to be homeschooled and YES both my parents are introverted.. and basically the same thing happened to me. I was left in solitary confinement for quite a number of years. And back then I didn't even have the internet to amuse me. I shiver to remember those days. My mum is an SJ and my step-dad an SP.. so for an ENTP I'm quite organized.. again because I was practically forced to be and so orderliness eventually became a habit. One positive thing on that front there :)

Thanks! And I even /feel/ inspiring. So positive and happy and wow! So this is what it's like to be an ENTP! (I'm thinking Tony Stark at this point haha.)

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Yes, that was quite inspiring.

I actually identify very closely, I had transforming experience as well, I thought I was an introvert most of my life as well due to a repressed childhood...

This verifies a lot for me, I've come to the conclusion that introvert vs extravert is truly based solely on from where one draws their energy.

(Hahaha, oh man this thread is making me smile and laugh at a computer. Haha, your energy is contagious, get that shit away from me!!)

Tony Stark. Just like an ENTP to notice something new and jump 5 million light years ahead with excitement LOL

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
ScarlettHayden;3589371[B said:
][/B]I was bullied at primary school so then was taken out to be homeschooled and YES both my parents are introverted.. and basically the same thing happened to me. I was left in solitary confinement for quite a number of years. And back then I didn't even have the internet to amuse me.I shiver to remember those days. My mum is an SJ and my step-dad an SP.. so for an ENTP I'm quite organized.. again because I was practically forced to be and so orderliness eventually became a habit. One positive thing on that front there :)

Thanks! And I even /feel/ inspiring. So positive and happy and wow! So this is what it's like to be an ENTP! (I'm thinking Tony Stark at this point haha.)
This was my childhood exactly. Being homeschooled as an Extrovert was not fun. I had my brothers to keep me company but sill..

*Hugs* You poor thing!

I'm happy you're discovering the way you were truly meant to be ^^

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Comes a time when ENTP wakes up and learns ENTP's place in society.

We're raised under the pressures thinking we need to be extremely organized, live to a strict schedule, do things on time a certain way, and this really restricts our capabilities and makes use more or less useless.

Then the day comes when you realize that you have so much more to offer to the world when you open your eyes, get rid of all structures, and view the world as your open canvas.

In a world where NTs are scarce, we're raised by people who've learned to shut up and follow directions more or less blindly, and try to teach us to do the same. But later we learn that we are the intellectual trailblazers and should actually be in front of the line.

I hope that doesn't sound too narcissistic or arrogantly esoteric.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tony Stark. Just like an ENTP to notice something new and jump 5 million light years ahead with excitement LOL
See, these things I never even realized were ENTP-ish, this just confirms it even more! (half the time when I talk to my family like this all I end up getting is weird looks, like, huh?)

Yes, that was quite inspiring. (Hahaha, oh man this thread is making me smile and laugh at a computer. Haha, your energy is contagious, get that shit away from me!!)
Hahaha never! The happiness must be passed around! :D

@Fern Glad there's someone else out there who I can relate to.. I'm definitely not going crazy then! (Like, pretending to be an extrovert, I definitely wouldn't want to be doing that.. but unconsciously, who knows?)

We're raised under the pressures thinking we need to be extremely organized, live to a strict schedule, do things on time a certain way, and this really restricts our capabilities and makes use more or less useless.

Then the day comes when you realize that you have so much more to offer to the world when you open your eyes, get rid of all structures, and view the world as your open canvas.

In a world where NTs are scarce, we're raised by people who've learned to shut up and follow directions more or less blindly, and try to teach us to do the same. But later we learn that we are the intellectual trailblazers and should actually be in front of the line.

This. And it doesn't sound narcissistic or arrogantly esoteric. It's just true, that's what it is, and I can see that now.

Next thing on the list: To start working on said "natural" leadership skills :)

·
Registered
5,838 Posts

I am going to engrave this into a placard or something and mount it prominently in my living space. Beautiful.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
See, these things I never even realized were ENTP-ish, this just confirms it even more! (half the time when I talk to my family like this all I end up getting is weird looks, like, huh?)
You are like an extremely freely-expressing version of my innerworkings. I must capture you and place you in my pocket and release you when I feel misunerstood, haha.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,665 Posts
l've had the same experience. Though l could still be between NTP and NFP anyway.

But I/E for both of these types is often ambiguous.

l first typed as INTP here and hung around the forum, l fit it in well enough but l always did feel like l was a bit too spastic. Although l may be calm next to some ENTPS and also next to my younger self, my natural tendency is to exert a lot of energy whereas most introverts tend to conserve energy and release it for something big.

Also looking at Ti-Ne versus Ne-Ti. With INTP's, the analytical nature generally takes over seeing as Ti is the first function. The Ne is there below the surface, but the dominant Ti generally tones down the spastic tendencies and analyzes new information that comes in before reacting to it.

l'm sure l use Ti more often than l realize, but l only see concrete examples of myself using it during my down time and can see that l hardly filter incoming information at all.

1) I am actually naturally EXTREMELY good with people.. something I never even realize before the last two weeks. I made SO many friends at the party without even meaning to.. I must've got like at least ten hugs when I left. Nothing like this has ever happened before. I was really talkative and humorous, and seem to have a knack for complimenting people. Some of my dry jokes were lost on some people mind..

l'm somewhere in between this. l am very perceptive, l think but l don't always want to be nice to people :laughing:

But l would say my tendency is to want to relate to people more often than not, though. l probably spend less time analyzing a potential person to socialize with and am more likely to just start chatting. People don't always like me and l don't always say what people want to hear(l used to) so l am not quite as charming as some ENTPs. But this is mostly because l don't always want to be ;)

2) After being somewhere completely new I was FULL of energy afterwards when I got home.. to the point where I annoyed all my family with all my talking/singing/joking around ect. Usually I'm just really quiet at home and keep to myself.. but I've found myself so full of energy lately.. I don't even realize when I'm annoying someone. (It's turned into heated arguments a few times.. something I've been careful to avoid in the past, but now can't even bring myself to care about it.)

l've always been that way too which should have been big tip off, l was clearly becoming energized by social situations instead of needing to recharge.

l think where my confusion came in was in looking at my ''down time'', which isn't always directly after socializing. lt can happen completely randomly. l have been drained by some social situations, but have probably been energized by more.

3) I find myself waking up really happy.. wanting to actually go outside (seriously?!) and when I come back home and go on the computer it makes me feel sick, like it reminds me of how drained I was before, and I just want to go back out again. And if I don't go back out I start to feel really depressed again and tired, and stop talking completely. I just get this urge to take the dog out for a walk or something (taking a different route each time, but not planning it) and then I feel a little better when I come back home.

Hmmm. l wake up feeling like the world should take a few hours off for me and consider existing again when l feel like dealing with it xD

But l am generally not a daytime person, l kind of cycle in terms of how much l want to socialize throughout the day. More sociable at night.

l still enjoy hours upon hours in front of a computer though, and sometimes really can't imagine dealing with another person being around. lt's kind of like l just lose my communication skills when l really want to focus on something.

4) I feel like my social-anxiety has almost completely gone now. In the short space of two weeks, my confidence has gone through the roof. I have so much energy, I'm sitting here practically shaking with it as I write, needing to go do something again.

Yeah, l've had phases of social anxiety but it's never been a huge problem. l think my issue is related to general anxiety, which other people can sometimes trigger.

But as far as being "shy", or seeming like a true introvert, people don't even believe me when l tell them l have periods like that. l guess it's not really related to my social skills, l just require some down time.

Anyway, congrats. The mistyping is so easy to do, l've felt a lot better since l accepted that l was just an extravert who can't always keep up with the alpha extraverts rather than trying to force myself into the introvert mold :kitteh:

Reactions: Fern

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are like an extremely freely-expressing version of my innerworkings. I must capture you and place you in my pocket and release you when I feel misunerstood, haha.
I was about to reply with something really witty until I realized that for some reason I was thinking of cubes.. and now fourth dimensions.. * casually whistling* shutting up now ;D

l first typed as INTP here and hung around the forum, l fit it in well enough but l always did feel like l was a bit too spastic. Although l may be calm next to some ENTPS and also next to my younger self, my natural tendency is to exert a lot of energy whereas most introverts tend to conserve energy and release it for something big.

l've always been that way too which should have been big tip off, l was clearly becoming energized by social situations instead of needing to recharge.

l think where my confusion came in was in looking at my ''down time'', which isn't always directly after socializing. lt can happen completely randomly. l have been drained by some social situations, but have probably been energized by more.
l still enjoy hours upon hours in front of a computer though, and sometimes really can't imagine dealing with another person being around. lt's kind of like l just lose my communication skills when l really want to focus on something.
I relate to all these points actually. I did wonder if I was an Fi user for a while but I dismissed it because my step-dad (who was overbearing) was a dominant Fi and also the fact that I'm a female and society seems to prefer that females have Fi.. I just assumed that it was learned behaviour more than anything, because I REALLY don't identify with the ENFP profile.

Anyway, congrats. The mistyping is so easy to do, l've felt a lot better since l accepted that l was just an extravert who can't always keep up with the alpha extraverts rather than trying to force myself into the introvert mold :kitteh:
I don't think I'll ever be as extroverted as say an ESFP.. and I'm not going to try to either. I'll just stick to what feels good and go from there. So far I'm just thinking of myself as an ambivert haha.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes, basically. I'm an ambivert as well, but I still type as an INTP instead of an ENTP because I am more introverted than extroverted. ScarlettHayden, I'm so happy for you! Your energy was basically leaping through the screen. I'm really glad you found the true you.

Reactions: ScarlettHayden
1 - 15 of 15 Posts