Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have in the last couple months been scoring ENTP on cognitive functions test. In these last couple months I've tried especially hard to analyze myself honestly and not be afraid of the conclusions I come up, even if it means losing connection with whatever identity as per the Jungian types. I just took the keys2cognitions test (which boasts high accuracy) as honestly as possible, really taking a lot of time to think about each question. Many of them are hard to answer, as I cannot say for certain that the specific idea applies to some situation I can recollect. With this in mind, what do you make of this result?

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.1)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.7)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************** (16)
unused
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************ (36.5)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43.7)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************* (31.2)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************* (21.9)
limited use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.
-----------------------------------------
Thinking about how I was as a kid, my thinking was pumped full of Ne. I was always thinking alone, letting my thoughts flow from whatever weird idea to the next, sort of like my brain was floating in an ADD river, passively observing these (I thought) weird... silly... "me" (in that I didn't think anyone else would know what the heck I was thinking and why) ideas. But it always felt like I was first and foremost introverted, really feeling like I was sitting inside my mind, shut off from the outside world, looking around and interacting with everything going on upstairs. But as I understand it now, many ENTPs claim preference for solitude, deep introspection, critical thinking, etc.. I get the impression though that an ENTP would be more ready to interact with the external world, rather than sitting back for hours upon hours, just observing his mind.

How can I tell which is my dominant function?

I have often felt that my Fe took a little more precedence than inferior. But... when I have my "freak out" moments (they happen extremely rarely now that I live alone) they are characterized by an emotional eruption, where all of my anguishes about not being listened to, having this deep seated pain that is not cared for, my anger about the people immediately around me (for being on my case about something or for bickering uselessly amongst themselves), etc.. Doesn't this sound a lot like an inferior Fe explosion? Mind you, all these sentiments are not shown whatsoever in my usual days. I might be aware of them, but they are subdued so that no one would ever know. I don't seem to have problems with inferior Si, though I have found that in the moment I have trouble relaying the details of an idea to someone, as they were originally in whatever text. I am fine at relaying my impression, or my own thoughts about the details/ideas. But too get specific is very hard for me; I feel like I'm standing on toothpick legs when I try to do that.

Kindly, I ask what you think. I know it's a lot of information to be barfing out there, but I am very curious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Hmmm, your results are kind of atypical, but you still sound pretty much INTP so far. That is, if your inferior is Fe, not Si. Have you read any of http://personalitycafe.com/entp-articles/76805-recognizing-inferior-function-entp.html ?

Maybe see if you get similar results on this one too... http://personalitycafe.com/personal...29-cognitive-functions-test-similarminds.html

Another thing to keep in mind is Ne is an extraverted perception function, meaning that when dominant sitting back with just your own mind can only go so far. There's that need for outerness, even if sometimes it can be by yourself with a few cool books, or with the internet. I don't know that I've heard any ENTPs saying that they prefer solitude and deep introspection, but that they can and do do it with not much problem, especially if the surroundings are not interesting. I can't quite completely shut off the outer world like you do, pretty much like you say, ready and eager (as long as they're not bugging me) to interact.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... I am pretty sure that I am always living in the introverted world of Ti, but the results of this test are similar:
Extroversion (52%) / Introversion (41%)

Sensation (20%) / Intuition (73%)

Thinking (83%) / Feeling (16%)

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (61%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (58%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (71%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (67%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (24%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (28%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (48%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (23%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - entp
------------------------------
Really, I am one of the most introverted people I know. Aside from an INFP friend of mine, I don't know of anyone else so self-effacing, so frequently alone, so reserved. Hmmm...

I have read somewhere that late teens-early twenties INTPs experience an expansion of their Ne, bringing greater creativity and such. This seems to have been true for me (and for the record I'm turning 20 in a few days).

You know, I think I just understand so little of myself that taking these cognitive functions tests proves very difficult. It is hard not to judge myself alongside the parameters of the Jungian cognitive functions.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I had trouble deciding whether I'm an ENTP or INTP, too; both my Ti and Ne are really well developed and while I like interacting with the outisde world, I prefer to observe people rather than talk to them.
My cognitive functions test result seems a bit similar to yours, although my Fe is way lower than yours (and my Se is higher than Si, too).

Thinking about how I was as a kid, my thinking was pumped full of Ne. I was always thinking alone, letting my thoughts flow from whatever weird idea to the next, sort of like my brain was floating in an ADD river, passively observing these (I thought) weird... silly... "me" (in that I didn't think anyone else would know what the heck I was thinking and why) ideas.
Just like me ;)

But as I understand it now, many ENTPs claim preference for solitude, deep introspection, critical thinking, etc.. I get the impression though that an ENTP would be more ready to interact with the external world, rather than sitting back for hours upon hours, just observing his mind.
I like being alone, I like being introspective and I value critical thinking. I constantly process things in my head; I need to interact with the external world only to get inspiration and evolve. However, I want my creativity, my works to impact people and make them think outside their comfort zones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts