Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been very confident in my "INTP status" for a few years, first suggested by the tests and personality profiles/stereotypes, then reinforced by my study of the cognitive functions. I identify very strongly with the Ti-Ne archetypes in MBTI and Socionics (not to mention Keirsey, which I don't usually favour.)

So what's the problem?

Answer: the first ~20 years of my life...and an excess of inexplicable Fe.

In short (believe me, this is the abridged version), I looked exactly like an INF as a child - always described as caring, compassionate, idealistic, imaginative, creative, rose-coloured glasses, very attracted to art and aesthetics, etc... In high school, I was the go-to guy if you needed a confidant. I expressed myself creatively through music and visual art. I started to enjoy debating ethical, political, and theological issues - all of which were deeply important to me. My intellectual side started to develop while the idealist in me wallowed in disappointment. Depression ensued. More angst, more social pressures, more depression. I felt like an alien - sort of half-elf, half-robot. Identity crisis. Existential crisis. I grabbed for the only solid thing I could find: logic. I rebuilt myself and my world with logic, and have followed its principles religiously ever since.

TL:DR version: I was ostensibly INFx for ~20 years, some painful shit went down, and now I seem to be INTP.

The case for INFJ (Ti-heavy):
(1) Ti has been very strong for <5 years of my life.
(2) While social interaction can be draining, Fe has a certain intuitive ease to it.
(3) I identify with inferior Se just as much or more than tertiary Si.
(4) I really don't know whether I use Ni-Ti or Ti-Ne. (Ni/Ne seem to be poorly defined in MBTI.)
(5) My girlfriend (who is also a Jung enthusiast) has always noted my similarity to other INFJs she knows, and jokingly refers to me as "an INFJish INTP."
(6) In Socionics website sociotype.com, my orientation towards the functions for their IEI is pretty damn accurate.
(7) Pod'Lair has actually read me as Ti-heavy INFJ. I identify more strongly with their interpretation of INFJ than any INTP profile. In particular, Ni-Fe working as "epic storytelling/narratives imbued with deep feeling" sounds exactly like what has been at my core all of my life, what caused my depression, and what I have been suppressing ever since with logic.

The case for INTP (Fe-heavy):
(1) Currently, I identify with INTP profiles the most.
(2) People don't develop the same way, and one's type may not be evident until adulthood anyway.
(3) An all-Feeler family may have caused atypical development of Fe.
(4) I don't tend to identify much at all with typical INFJ profiles. (besides Pod'Lair's, and with Socionics IEI)

Any thoughts? Maybe someone has some better definitions of Ni and Ne that I haven't heard...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I actually developed pretty much the exact same way as you, and had the same confusion between those two types. I ended up settling on INFJ, though. Like you, although I'm very dependent on Ti now, I really barely used it at all until a few years ago. I do sometimes feel out-of-place when I feel like I'm actually more logical than a lot of the T-types around here, though.

On Ni/Ne differences...I'm no expert, but I have the impression that Ni tends to latch on to a single idea and continually find new ways of looking at it, while Ne tends to focus more on finding new ideas and possibilities rather than developing existing ones? Basically Ni-types seem more "focused" to me, where Ne-types are more rambly and able to move from topic to topic really smoothly without losing momentum. Those are just my impressions, though.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Then the thing you need to focus on is the Fe. For INFJ's it's auxilirary. for INTP', it's inferior. Quite the difference.
What is your point of view on emotions and feelings? How do you deal with them? What others think of you in that regard? What do you think about Fe in general?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually developed pretty much the exact same way as you, and had the same confusion between those two types. I ended up settling on INFJ, though. Like you, although I'm very dependent on Ti now, I really barely used it at all until a few years ago. I do sometimes feel out-of-place when I feel like I'm actually more logical than a lot of the T-types around here, though.

On Ni/Ne differences...I'm no expert, but I have the impression that Ni tends to latch on to a single idea and continually find new ways of looking at it, while Ne tends to focus more on finding new ideas and possibilities rather than developing existing ones? Basically Ni-types seem more "focused" to me, where Ne-types are more rambly and able to move from topic to topic really smoothly without losing momentum. Those are just my impressions, though.
Thanks for your input. I think I do relate more to Ni under that description. Though I sometimes find myself elaborating on tangents, it is mainly to provide definition/context (Ti) to the main topic which I always come back to... I am much more likely to "get stuck" on one topic of analysis and have difficulty moving on until all elements have been explored.

Then the thing you need to focus on is the Fe. For INFJ's it's auxilirary. for INTP', it's inferior. Quite the difference.
What is your point of view on emotions and feelings? How do you deal with them? What others think of you in that regard? What do you think about Fe in general?
I think Fe is the problem here, not the solution...and it is compounded by the rather nebulous way in which function preference is determined. Is it based on your valuation of it, the ease with which you use it, your actual use of it, your skill with it, or what? These are not minor distinctions, yet they are routinely conflated.

My point of view on Fe is this: I have found that unchecked emotion usually leads to painful consequences for me, that it is an impediment in the search for truth, and that simply being rational tends to help with a lot of things. However, it does have its place - and I specifically try to direct it at the few people I hold dear. Moreover, it is expedient - and I have become quite skilled in its usage: I pick up on emotional climates easily, can influence people positively, and can generally be quite charismatic if I put forth the effort. But I can be very cold if I don't see a purpose or don't have the energy to use my Fe, particularly when my introversion is being disrespected via confrontational behaviour, back-to-back social obligations, or simply by onslaughts of new people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts