Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
From what I remember from taking tests years ago this one was a little different. Also, got my closest results ever. Last time I think I was like 61% T 39% F.

On this test I was 53% T 47%F. I'm fine with that. It is said that the F helps you write novels that will sell so many INTPs struggle as novelists for this reason.

Just keep me in check and let me know if I start to become a whiner, then this feeling thing will have gone too far!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Some of those questions were difficult, I could really go either way... but I still got 65% INTP.

Reactions: GusWriter

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
This is a test to see how much more likely you are to be an INTP or INFP, as devised by IDR Labs - formerly known as Celebrity Types. Some of the items test for T or F, while others test for Fi or low order Fe.

I scored as 82% INTP.
Bummer, I was hoping to get INFP so I could say it was inaccurate. Those questions aren't a very good measurement. They address what the end results of your thinking processes are, as opposed to getting to the core of how you get there. MBTI is more about how you process.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Bummer, I was hoping to get INFP so I could say it was inaccurate. Those questions aren't a very good measurement. They address what the end results of your thinking processes are, as opposed to getting to the core of how you get there. MBTI is more about how you process.
So by the end results, I take it you're referring to opinions offered in response to test questions. That makes sense. While I do think many opinions offered in these test answers line up with how the stereotypical INTP or INFP would answer, in practise, our types are loose outlines that detail some of the ways in which people process things similarly or differently. The consequence of opinions based test answers is that INTPs and INFPs are testing near the middle on it, without any room for input on what mental attributes are correlated to those types.

The very first question is open to interpretation.

IDR Labs said:
With regards to values, there is no absolute truth. Whatever people's values are, that is true for them.
The answer is a binary choice between "agree" and "disagree", and that's it. One INFP might say "disagree, because whatever the cultural differences, we all want the same things in the end," while an INTP might say "agree, because morality is only a social construct."

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
So by the end results, I take it you're referring to opinions offered in response to test questions. That makes sense. While I do think many opinions offered in these test answers line up with how the stereotypical INTP or INFP would answer, in practise, our types are loose outlines that detail some of the ways in which people process things similarly or differently. The consequence of opinions based test answers is that INTPs and INFPs are testing near the middle on it, without any room for input on what mental attributes are correlated to those types.

The answer is a binary choice between "agree" and "disagree", and that's it. One INFP might say "disagree, because whatever the cultural differences, we all want the same things in the end," while an INTP might say "agree, because morality is only a social construct."
Yes, exactly, opinions offered in response to the test.
The key word you used though is "stereotypes." To elaborate...

Are all INTPs atheists (or whatever else doesn't believe in morals?); False.
So for example, an INTP can also be a Christian, in which case, they will also have within their minds some moralistic truths--regardless of how unfathomable this may seem to some.
Thus, a question that is based upon whether there is an existence of moral belief can only have skewed results.

I'll throw one of the more prominent ones to me out there as another example:
choosing between woods living (basically) or coercion.
I chose woods living, knowing it would give me another INFP check (basically being "I'd rather do this than go against my values" was their goal but it failed). Even with all morals not being factored in, it isn't logical to me that--especially since I have thought about doing this before and might enjoy some aspects of that life anyways--I would put myself in a situation like coercion. Why? Because it's not likely to end at just one instance of coercion. Someone who is willing to do that is not going to say "ok, well, I'll leave them alone now." No, now they've got you where they want you. They said, "one small / little incident." I knew it wouldn't be one small isolated incident at all in that situation. So for me, the question was, "would you rather live that way or under someone else's control?" the answer for me was isolation.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Yes, exactly, opinions offered in response to the test.
The key word you used though is "stereotypes." To elaborate...

Are all INTPs atheists (or whatever else doesn't believe in morals?); False.
So for example, an INTP can also be a Christian, in which case, they will also have within their minds some moralistic truths--regardless of how unfathomable this may seem to some.
Thus, a question that is based upon whether there is an existence of moral belief can only have skewed results.

I'll throw one of the more prominent ones to me out there as another example:
choosing between woods living (basically) or coercion.
I chose woods living, knowing it would give me another INFP check (basically being "I'd rather do this than go against my values" was their goal but it failed). Even with all morals not being factored in, it isn't logical to me that--since I have thought about doing this before and would enjoy that life anyways--I would put myself in a situation like coercion. Why? Because it's not likely to end at just one instance of coercion. Someone who is willing to do that is not going to say "ok, well, I'll leave them alone now." No, now they've got you where they want you. They said, "one small / little incident." I knew it wouldn't be one small isolated incident at all in that situation. So for me, the question was, "would you rather live that way or under someone else's control?" the answer for me was isolation.
To be fair, quite a few test answers here explore the ways in which an INTP might approach morality - albeit from a pronouncedly Kantian lens. Kant himself was basically the quintessential INTP philosopher; particularly as a moral philosopher.

As for the social control question, I chose the coercion answer because I was envisioning a society akin to that of Japan, not an authoritarian regime. Basically just a society that's anal when it comes to addressing people by social standing, places lots of emphasis on P's and Q's, really strict dress codes, being judged for one's taste in art and partners, you get the idea. In such a society, you'd still have enough freedom to have your own beliefs, or to express yourself without legal consequence.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
To be fair, quite a few test answers here explore the ways in which an INTP might approach morality - albeit from a pronouncedly Kantian lens. Kant himself was basically the quintessential INTP philosopher; particularly as a moral philosopher.

As for the social control question, I chose the coercion answer because I was envisioning a society akin to that of Japan, not an authoritarian regime. Basically just a society that's anal when it comes to addressing people by social standing, places lots of emphasis on P's and Q's, really strict dress codes, being judged for one's taste in art and partners, you get the idea. In such a society, you'd still have enough freedom to have your own beliefs, or to express yourself without legal consequence.
So even you didn't click it for the reasons they wanted you to. They aren't measuring the process; their attempt to measure how you process is interfered with by why you came to the conclusion out of the limited scope of options you are presented with. The percentage at the end is no longer accurate because it's no longer about INTPness, because values and INTPness are disparate. Having values or not having them doesn't make anyone any more or less INTP, therefore why should it have any impact on the percentage our outcome at all?

At least that's how I see it in my mind's eye right now.
I also may not have all the information.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
That sort of contributes to my point though if you think about it. Even you didn't click it for the reasons they wanted you to. They aren't measuring the process; it still reiterates that their attempt to measure how you process is interfered with by why you came to the conclusion out of the limited scope of options you are presented with. The percentage at the end is no longer accurate because it's no longer about INTPness, because values and INTPness are disparate. Having values or not having them doesn't make anyone any more or less INTP, therefore why should it have any impact on the percentage our outcome at all?

At least that's how I see it in my mind's eye right now.
I also may not have all the information.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Besides, this isn't a problem specific to the INTP or INFP test, but rather to all the other Type A or Type B tests on that same website.

I can't help but wonder whether this test would've worked better as a written test, much like those "what's my type" question templates on these forums. This would allow a greater focus on the reasoning involved. The problem there would still come down to what measures would determine whether an answer leans more towards INTP or INFP. On top of that, the personal opinions and biases of those evaluating those written answers could skewer preferences yet again.

Perhaps one of us could volunteer to write out personal opinions and reasoning for each question in the test, and then others could evaluate that person's type based on the answers they chose?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Yeah, I may be deviating from the MBTI come to think of it. I'd have to study it more. My subjective belief is that the two are disparate, but I have to stop and ask is that what MBTI says...
and which way do the statistics run:
observation of already typed INTPs,
or as part of the process of typing INTPs as a standard method according to more official sources...

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Yeah, I may be deviating from the MBTI come to think of it. I'd have to study it more. My subjective belief is that the two are disparate, but I have to stop and ask is that what MBTI says...
and which way do the statistics run:
observation of already typed INTPs,
or as part of the process of typing INTPs as a standard method according to more official sources...
This test strikes me as typing primarily for cognitive functions, with less of a focus on the actual T/F dichotomy itself. When I looked at each answer, I could easily work out which cognitive function the author of the test item had in mind.

I consider Jung's cognitive functions and the MBTI dichotomies to be effectively two different systems, and find the Harold Grant function stack (e.g. Ti-Ne-Si-Fe) to be inconsistent with Jung and inconsistent with MBTI. Anyway, I don't think people are strictly speaking either T or F, but more rather varying mixtures of T traits and F traits - same with any other dichotomy. It certainly doesn't help that T/F is the messiest of the four dichotomies, with F items in the quizzes typically appealing more to EF and SF types. One theory I've read is that a lot of INFs mistype as INTs because their IN warps their F. Introversion makes a person less open with their emotions, while Intuition causes a person to reflect more on their inner states almost to the point of emotional detachment.

I, for one, consider myself an INTP in the sense that I have a T lean, but I'm really more of a mix bag of T and F.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Basically just a society that's anal when it comes to addressing people by social standing, places lots of emphasis on P's and Q's, really strict dress codes, being judged for one's taste in art and partners, you get the idea.
*shudders* That description doesn't exactly convince me coercion is a good thing...

but I did choose coercion eventually (it was hard to choose) because I thought at some point 2 heads are better than 1, and there probably is more to benefit from a community than I can immediately credit, even though certain concessions must be made to get along... which on some level does lead to something along the lines of your description. unfortunately. :/

idk. I think I might change my answer. If there is internet in isolation, then I will consider myself less than 65% INTP. To the highly imperfect test.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*shudders* That description doesn't exactly convince me coercion is a good thing...

but I did choose coercion eventually (it was hard to choose) because I thought at some point 2 heads are better than 1, and there probably is more to benefit from a community than I can immediately credit, even though certain concessions must be made to get along... which on some level does lead to something along the lines of your description. unfortunately. :/

idk. I think I might change my answer. If there is internet in isolation, then I will consider myself less than 65% INTP. To the highly imperfect test.
It's the same rationale here. While it would get a little taxing having to navigate a society so anal on social customs, at least there wouldn't be a punishment for thought crime, and I'd still have internet and a good job.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts

The answer is a binary choice between "agree" and "disagree", and that's it. One INFP might say "disagree, because whatever the cultural differences, we all want the same things in the end,"
That response wouldn't make any sense unless one believes that "absolute truth" means "stuff everyone agrees on." Truth applies to facts, not values, even if everyone shares the values.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts