Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I'm obviously new here, but I wanted to have your opinions on something I've been trying to find out for ages. All the differents tests I've done have put forward the fact that I'm INTP, but I have had some doubts from time to time :rolleyes:
My enneagram is 5w4 (I'm a bit 9 as well), I saw that it was linked with INTP mostly, which is cool.
I'm an intellectual person, but I haven't always been. I've always felt the need to be alone for different reasons but in my childhood I used to be F, it's like 1000% sure. The thing is, after taking a lot of slaps in the face, I grew more T, not because I wanted to, but more as a mechanical defense. I tend to protect people a lot too, it's my lawyer's side which grew more logical with time but still is an INFP side. I'm really introvert and don't need people around me, I'm rather an antisocial person. My boyfriend is INTP and thinks that I grow more F with time and act less logical when it comes to him (We can't always, I knooow and he doesn't say that like it's a bad thing). I also tend to rationalize everything, including my feelings, but that's where I feel like it's a mechanical defense. And the worst part in this is that sometimes I know what I'm feeling isn't legitimate, I rationalize it but still it influences my behavior. A

Personally, I feel like I'm an INTP with F sides. I know that I can't have two MBTI types, which is why I'm still trying to figure this out.

But what do you think ? :exterminate:

PS : Just realized I put it in the wrong forum, but I think it's easier to introduce myself if I can say my " real " type ?

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings Lousia and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum Lousia. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Could you be an INFP 5w4? The reason I ask is that I'm often confused for an INTP, but I'm definitely an F. I just like to distance myself from my Fi characteristics and watch my emotional responses from the position of an objective observer. My emotions fascinate me and I'm aware that my emotions can run very deep and be very nuanced. However, I don't think many people who know me IRL would call me a particularly emotional person.

I'm really bad at differentiating between INXP types online, so I'd rather not say (to be fair, I don't have a leaning one way or the other).

Oh, another thing I just thought of is that in romantic relationships, we're provided an arena where we can act out all of our various "issues" because we're with the one person we can be vulnerable with. Perhaps your boyfriend felt emotionally manipulated sometime in his past and that's why he's hyper-aware of your emotions (I'm just pretending this idea; there could be an infinite alternate possibilities). I might even argue that most people are more "F" types in their romantic relationships, anyway, because of the nature of those relationships themselves.

Who you are, your type, is a pattern of behavior. So, ask yourself if your pattern fits best with INFP or INTP and go from there.

Edit to add:

By the way, Hi there. I look forward to getting to know you in the forums. There is a "type me" area under the Myers Briggs forum that is specifically geared towards trying to figure out if one fits one type or the other. I'd suggest starting there. Or, as I liked to do, just check out the different subforums and you'll probably find yourself connecting with one over the others.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
You could be a 5 or a 6w5 if you're an INFP. Sometimes I get the impression that having a 6w5 as a core makes me seem like an INTJ or INTx sometimes uh? But not exactly sure of that myself. Would he helpful if somebody could confirm btw but another member claimed I do have a very active Fi & Ne so.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Very familiar with both. If I had to guess I'd say you're an INFP.

Let me ask you a question. When you're stressed and upset, would you rather be left alone completely or talk it out with someone and have them listen to you but not provide advice?

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Very familiar with both. If I had to guess I'd say you're an INFP.

Let me ask you a question. When you're stressed and upset, would you rather be left alone completely or talk it out with someone and have them listen to you but not provide advice?
Which answer corresponds to which type? As an INFP, I'd much rather be left alone. But my INTP partner is like this as well.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You could be a 5 or a 6w5 if you're an INFP. Sometimes I get the impression that having a 6w5 as a core makes me seem like an INTJ or INTx sometimes uh? But not exactly sure of that myself.
I have this theory... that we tend to want to be like our benefactor in socionics, which causes us to misidentify with other types or borrow characteristics from them.

So an INFP admires an INTJ, and would try to emulate their strong thinking demeanor.

Examples:

An INFJ I was helping type took the test and got ISFP, their benefactor (this girl is the most INFJ I've ever seen in my life, and I've only seen three). A week later she tells me she is an INFJ (which to me was obvious, she used Fe the same way I do and was intuitive).

It's easy to confuse ISTPs and INTJs (like in the what type is Putin debate).

For myself, people on here have claimed I'm mistyped as an ISFJ and am actually an INFP (my benefactor). I know I'm 100% ISFJ. But I can see why they'd think that.

My sister is an INTP and has these moments of wanting to act like an INFJ. She breaks out emotionally and passionately on something typically NF-related (like humanitarian issues or crying for a family member to change their ways).

I also have recently been noticing ENTJs try to invoke ENFP humor (and usually fail).

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I have this theory... that we tend to want to be like our benefactor in socionics, which causes us to misidentify with other types or borrow characteristics from them.

So an INFP admires an INTJ, and would try to emulate their strong thinking demeanor.

Examples:

An INFJ I was helping type took the test and got ISFP, their benefactor (this girl is the most INFJ I've ever seen in my life, and I've only seen three). A week later she tells me she is an INFJ (which to me was obvious, she used Fe the same way I do and was intuitive).

It's easy to confuse ISTPs and INTJs (like in the what type is Putin debate).

For myself, people on here have claimed I'm mistyped as an ISFJ and am actually an INFP (my benefactor). I know I'm 100% ISFJ. But I can see why they'd think that.

My sister is an INTP and has these moments of wanting to act like an INFJ. She breaks out emotionally and passionately on something typically NF-related (like humanitarian issues or crying for a family member to change their ways).

I also have recently been noticing ENTJs try to invoke ENFP humor (and usually fail).
I'm not sure? Because at a time when I may have tried to imitate an INxJ on a certain forum, some people detected severe "fallacies" or leaks of "Fi" in which I got mocked/ridiculed in the claims that I tried to make sound Te-ish. At a time by a real INTJ forumer on there which alot of people used to hate.

Even when I don't try to consciously imitate an INTJ? Some of my behavior or methods of trying to troubleshoot, sometimes using trial and error or experimentish methods which is basically the nature/key component of having a 6w5 Enneagram already make me INTX-ish maybe? Does the way I talk here resemble anything of them?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you be an INFP 5w4?

Perhaps your boyfriend felt emotionally manipulated sometime in his past and that's why he's hyper-aware of your emotions (I'm just pretending this idea; there could be an infinite alternate possibilities). I might even argue that most people are more "F" types in their romantic relationships, anyway, because of the nature of those relationships themselves.

Edit to add:

By the way, Hi there. I look forward to getting to know you in the forums. There is a "type me" area under the Myers Briggs forum that is specifically geared towards trying to figure out if one fits one type or the other. I'd suggest starting there. Or, as I liked to do, just check out the different subforums and you'll probably find yourself connecting with one over the others.
Perhaps. I feel like I understand people and why they do certain things. But at some point I don't like emotional responses, coming from other people or me.
My boyfriend never got manipulated before, it's just for example when I pretend to stay with him because I forgot my credit card at his place that he sees it as no logical, but to me it's the credit card + the fact that I want to spend more time with him.

I saw that side of the forum, that's why I edited, but thank you though.

Chara -> I don't feel six, even with a wing.

" Let me ask you a question. When you're stressed and upset, would you rather be left alone completely or talk it out with someone and have them listen to you but not provide advice? "
-> Definitely be left alone completely, I like to solve problems by myself, and I take distance from it, but I feel like it's more an introvert thing than a T/F situation ? When my friends have problems and get too emotional about it, I take distance and tell them to act in a more logical way. I feel like I have the understanding of the person in front of me, but that I have more of a T analyze in general, for example when I'm in class (I'm in Psychology -> not to do psychologist but research in criminology, more on a social side), people tend to think I'm detached, more like an INTP/J.

TheDarknessInTheSnow -> About your theory, I agree. The first enneagram test I took was with my ex boyfriend so I was basically answering with him watching (which is kind of different, but still relevant), I got 2 and 4, and he said we were the same. But I think even though it can be influenced by people the MBTI is different, you can change enneagram types because it's more about your mood in general and the way you see things, since you're all 9 type. The first MBTI test I took was not influenced even though an INTP had sent it to me, I didn't know him very much at that time (and I wasn't with my current boyfriend at that time).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking (T)
When I make a decision, I like to find the basic truth or principle to be applied, regardless of the specific situation involved. I like to analyze pros and cons, and then be consistent and logical in deciding. I try to be impersonal, so I won't let my personal wishes--or other people's wishes--influence me.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I enjoy technical and scientific fields where logic is important.
I notice inconsistencies.
I look for logical explanations or solutions to most everything.
I make decisions with my head and want to be fair.
I believe telling the truth is more important than being tactful.
Sometimes I miss or don't value the "people" part of a situation.
I can be seen as too task-oriented, uncaring, or indifferent.

Feeling (F)
I believe I can make the best decisions by weighing what people care about and the points-of-view of persons involved in a situation. I am concerned with values and what is the best for the people involved. I like to do whatever will establish or maintain harmony. In my relationships, I appear caring, warm, and tactful.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I have a people or communications orientation.
I am concerned with harmony and nervous when it is missing.
I look for what is important to others and express concern for others.
I make decisions with my heart and want to be compassionate.
I believe being tactful is more important than telling the "cold" truth.
Sometimes I miss seeing or communicating the "hard truth" of situations.
I am sometimes experienced by others as too idealistic, mushy, or indirect.

For example, when I see those two different descriptions, I'm not a Feeling person. Like. I'm not compassionate, or only with the people really close to me. Being tactful is important in some cases, but most of all it's the truth that is important. But I'm not idealistic or mushy, I go straight to the point most of the time and I'm realistic. I like to understand how things work. I used to write stories, it's more INFP, but for example in Psychology, I really tend to see the logic, even in emotional processes without going from an extreme to an other, but I feel closer to Social Psychology than Clinical Psychology, and I see a big difference between INFX in my university and me.

If you have a decent english test or big differences between T/P // INFP/INTP, send it if you want. The ones I do are mostly french.
But yeah, I take in account all the INFP's typing you've been doing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check and compare function stacks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check and compare function stacks
I think I'm more an INTP then.

I also found this (2001 research paper entitled, “Gender Differences in Personality Traits Across
Cultures,” found surprisingly consistent gender differences across 26 cultures
(Costa, et al.)) : " Specifically, the researchers found that “women tend to be higher
in negative affect,submissiveness, and nurturance and more concerned with
feelings than ideas.” Men, by contrast, tested higher in assertiveness, excitement
seeking, and a preference for ideas over feelings. Since many of these findings
seem to fall along Thinking-Feeling lines, it does not seem unreasonable to
suggest that female INTPs may, to some extent, have more in common with
Feeling types than male INTPs do. "

There are differences within the type, they put forward the gender, I don't think it's the only thing, but for that matter, I kind of agree. I don't agree with how they turned it in the sentence though, cause they say female INTPs are more concerned with feelings than ideas because that would mean they're more Fi than Ti. To me, they should have said that their Fi's are statistically and in general superior to male INTPs Fi's.

·
Registered
278 Posts
@Lousia I'm also a borderline t/f intp, likely because I'm an sx/sp (look into enneagram if you wish). I am very chill and logical about certain things but there are other issues I am very passionate and emotional about. For example, politics, my close friends, my own well-being, and on the issue of justice; I literally don't care for punishment I just do not see the point, I'd rather forgive, except for in the instance of rape. These emotions that come along with certain issues may be inferior Fe. Songs make me cry. But in basically every other instance/issue I do not take feelings into account, I enjoy logical debates and would rather provoke than soothe. Mostly I'm just reserved, antisocial and pondering some shit or other. I find infp descriptions to be too mushy and illogical for me, and intp a bit boring but I like most of it. If you relate, yeah you are probably intp. Just bc you have the t preference doesn't mean you do not have emotions, or that they now shut off bc you are 'intp'.

My theory is that intps are like shells of ice with a warm lamp inside, sometimes the ice is gonna crack :proud:

Reactions: Lousia

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm not sure? Because at a time when I may have tried to imitate an INxJ on a certain forum, some people detected severe "fallacies" or leaks of "Fi" in which I got mocked/ridiculed in the claims that I tried to make sound Te-ish. At a time by a real INTJ forumer on there which alot of people used to hate.

Even when I don't try to consciously imitate an INTJ? Some of my behavior or methods of trying to troubleshoot, sometimes using trial and error or experimentish methods which is basically the nature/key component of having a 6w5 Enneagram already make me INTX-ish maybe? Does the way I talk here resemble anything of them?
I have no idea. I think the tough thing for you is being a 5. Cause 5s don't like to show emotion. And an easy way to tell an INTP is when they're upset, they want to be left alone. They feel ashamed for being emotive. My sister hates when I recognize her being sad, she'd rather let it pass out on its own. The question is can you relate to that? And is it cause of your INTP or 5?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey,

I'm obviously new here, but I wanted to have your opinions on something I've been trying to find out for ages. All the differents tests I've done have put forward the fact that I'm INTP, but I have had some doubts from time to time :rolleyes:
My enneagram is 5w4 (I'm a bit 9 as well), I saw that it was linked with INTP mostly, which is cool.
I'm an intellectual person, but I haven't always been. I've always felt the need to be alone for different reasons but in my childhood I used to be F, it's like 1000% sure. The thing is, after taking a lot of slaps in the face, I grew more T, not because I wanted to, but more as a mechanical defense. I tend to protect people a lot too, it's my lawyer's side which grew more logical with time but still is an INFP side. I'm really introvert and don't need people around me, I'm rather an antisocial person. My boyfriend is INTP and thinks that I grow more F with time and act less logical when it comes to him (We can't always, I knooow and he doesn't say that like it's a bad thing). I also tend to rationalize everything, including my feelings, but that's where I feel like it's a mechanical defense. And the worst part in this is that sometimes I know what I'm feeling isn't legitimate, I rationalize it but still it influences my behavior. A

Personally, I feel like I'm an INTP with F sides. I know that I can't have two MBTI types, which is why I'm still trying to figure this out.

But what do you think ? :exterminate:

PS : Just realized I put it in the wrong forum, but I think it's easier to introduce myself if I can say my " real " type ?
It's not that INFPs aren't logical it's just that their feelings usually appear before the logical and then they analyze those feelings whereas INTP being a thinking dominant person suppresses those said feelings and makes analysis of their thoughts which seem to appear first and then their feelings seem to come out more in a controlled organized form more so than the INFP which seems to be more feel then think but again since we are talking about introverted styles here all of this becomes hard to identify because the INFP may not appear to be emotional on the outside either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Lousia I'm also a borderline t/f intp, likely because I'm an sx/sp (look into enneagram if you wish). I am very chill and logical about certain things but there are other issues I am very passionate and emotional about. For example, politics, my close friends, my own well-being, and on the issue of justice; I literally don't care for punishment I just do not see the point, I'd rather forgive, except for in the instance of rape. These emotions that come along with certain issues may be inferior Fe. Songs make me cry. But in basically every other instance/issue I do not take feelings into account, I enjoy logical debates and would rather provoke than soothe. Mostly I'm just reserved, antisocial and pondering some shit or other. I find infp descriptions to be too mushy and illogical for me, and intp a bit boring but I like most of it. If you relate, yeah you are probably intp. Just bc you have the t preference doesn't mean you do not have emotions, or that they now shut off bc you are 'intp'.

My theory is that intps are like shells of ice with a warm lamp inside, sometimes the ice is gonna crack :proud:
Waw. Completely relate to that and the way you feel when you read the descriptions. Yeah, we're all different types, emotional and logical, but one is stronger than the other and help to make decisions, so I think I'm INTP as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not that INFPs aren't logical it's just that their feelings usually appear before the logical and then they analyze those feelings whereas INTP being a thinking dominant person suppresses those said feelings and makes analysis of their thoughts which seem to appear first and then their feelings seem to come out more in a controlled organized form more so than the INFP which seems to be more feel then think but again since we are talking about introverted styles here all of this becomes hard to identify because the INFP may not appear to be emotional on the outside either.
I agree with what you're saying, but I only act like that for some things. For example, someone really close to me died two years ago, and my first reaction wasn't emotional, it was more like " At least she's not suffering anymore ". And I act like that mostly in my life. I think it's about the way you make your decision and the way you respond to the stimuli in the first place, but to me, it's really logical most of the times. I think that I respond often emotionally with my boyfriend because we're in a long distance relationship and that even though he's INTP he shows his emotions, so it helps me show mine and make some decisions more based on feelings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts