Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, when I first discovered MBTI and tested my type, I got INTP-Results, read it and it seemed to be a well fitting description for me. This was 1,5 years ago and I've read a lot about typology and cognitive functions and the more I read, the more I realized, that I can't be that sure about being an INTP. I'm a 19-year-old german maths and politics student and I will now write everything that comes to my mind (Ne-like :tongue:). I really hope somebody might be able to help me solving my inner Fi/Ti puzzle.

In my childhood (talking about 6 years+) I, as I discovered last year, suffered quite a bit under my mother being an ESFJ. When I was a child I never wanted to do any kind of sports, but my mother registered me at the football club at first, later at the swimming club and so on. Going there was always hard for me. Everybody knows the feeling when having to do something unfavorable and consistently watching the clock. She also tried to control my social surroundings.
So what did I actually want to do? Quite easy said, I just wanted to be on my own, playing video games, watching TV and so on. I always felt repressed in my early and middle adolescence. My parents divorced when I was 5 with me living with my mother and her new ENFP-Husband and my ESFP-Stepbrother. My father is an ISTJ. He even tried to form me according to his ideals and 1980's visions when I was 15/16, when my mom slowly realized I was totally different. In the last two years, he also managed to learn it and I am quite good with him now.

At the age of 13/14, I started to develop a deep interest for history and politics, because I wanted to know the big picture, understanding the world, the present time and why everything is the way it is and especially I would have liked to figure out what my place in the world is, which is obviously not that easy. I refer to the beginning of that certain interest when talking about the formation of my secondary Ne-Function. Everything drew me into the far right wing, where I eventually got out at the age of 17 considering myself a full liberal now, with personal independence and "individual over society" being my central points.

When I have work to do, I tend to be even more productive the nearer deadlines approach. I can't motivate myself to do anything I don't want to do and I´m ready to take the consequences no matter what. If I've got something to do I really like to do, e.g. writing an essay about a certain topic I´m interested in and bringing my own opinion I get really energized, finishing it in perfection.

At school grades ~7-10 I loved getting good grades and I almost never had to work for it which was quite comfortable for me. But I remember my school records after the first half of class 7, where I went a little unlucky, finishing always at the upper border for the next grade, giving me the worst average I ever had. It made me cry for several days. Today I don´t care about grades at all, I believe they don´t tell the skill of a student, no matter if school or university. I know what I´m able to get, but I promised myself to always get the minimum I have to without wasting much time learning the classical algorithms.

I came into MBTI when a friend told me in late 2016. It instantly captured my interest and I started to develop a passion for typology and psychology. And I have to out myself: I started to hate Feeling-Types ( not anymore ) with the conviction, they lack logic and are actual "pussies" and "crybabies". While doing this I overlooked the fact I am a little crybaby myself. Even before 2016 I developed a disgust against emotions at all, I can´t tell why, hiding my own emotions not only from friends and family but from myself, leading to a very deep depression starting at 27.09 (with psychosomatic issues) last year were I first started thinking about my feelings, emotions, morale and inner values. Everything I did, I did it for the sake of logic but I realized, sometimes it made me quite unhappy. It might be a very bad example, but it is perfect to illustrate what I did my entire life since I started thinking about decisions. I treated my feelings and logic like Hitler treated jews and germans.

The first time I started to doubt my INTP-A personality was when I took a test once again after like 6 months, with the depression being within these months. My results have always been pretty clear. I always and on every website got 70% Introversion, 95-100% Intuition and Perceiving and like 90% Thinking. Suddenly I got 65% Feeling after literally thinking about the questions and not only telling my mind "This makes sense, you take this." I also found cognitive functions-Tests, which gave me very strong Ne, Ni, and Fi. Ti being at 80% of the other three's score, Fe at 40% and Si and Se being very low with Te between Fe and Ti.

In my future life a want to travel the world, see things and experience different cultures. I want to understand why people live the way they live. Work and Travel seemed to labor-intensive for me. Since I'm very lazy and I possibly neglected what I really wanted because it was irrational, this never came to my mind. Another life goal I really have is to find the one perfect girl, I want to find a "soulmate" rather than finding physical release as a priority.
This reminds me about a situation I just had. I was in city center with a good friend and Muslims had an information desk about their religion. He, an INTP for sure, just walked a few meters away, saying: "I hate religions, they don´t make sense at all and just bring war and conflict." I walked over to the desk asking them things. I just wanted to seek information. I understood their motivations, like I tend to understand everybody's motivations. I stopped judging people for unlogical motivations.

When I am walking around or lying in bed, I tend to imagine the perfect world of my dreams were I want to live in with my deepest wishes I often didn´t knew before. Sometimes for hours or even half a day.

I have few friends, less than five, not so special for introverts, they all have NT Types. I introduced them to typology after I was introduced by ENTP-Friend. When we discuss things they tend to joke about me possibly being a "F-Crybaby" when I disagree with logical solutions.

I am attracted to INFP the most, followed by INTJ, INTP and the remaining N-Types.

I am a pessimist and an optimist at the same time. I always expect the worst but in my interior world I am always hoping and imaginating the really best. When people talk negatively about themselves I encourage them to stop being like this.

I always thought I have no empathy, but I only haven't many possibilities to prove it. As I said, I tend to understand motivations and values of people, but some disgust me so hard that I`m rather a loner than surrounding me with such people. Sometimes I hate people and society.

I am quite sure the given information is not enough to tell what I really am. Because I have Ne I am quite sure I forgot at least half of the information. I always just wrote what came to my mind. If you have specific questions that will help telling the difference, feel free to ask. Sorry for possible mistakes with english grammar. It could be worse, I'm sure about that ;)

I just found that list, so I'm gonna add it:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I sometimes tend to judge by my inner values instead of logic.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I) See the world and learn cultures; I want to know how people live and why they do and to understand the big picture

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Working on something I really like to do.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
When I am around with people who have achieved what I want to achieve but can't.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
That´s the question here I guess.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I mentioned above, I can´t motivate myself for something I don't appreciate. The outcome is not important for me, it might change from planning as I perceive new information.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
When I have a lot of fun I am mostly with a few friends, we drunk a little bit and started talking and doing weird things that came to our mind.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Theories and unconventional things. First, understand things like "why" later the detail.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
NOT ORGANIZED AT ALL

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Depends. I want to find out what approach is naturally for me and which one is not.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself. The other way round is superficial from my point of view.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
One-On-One Communications and Thinking before acting mostly. If someone attacks me and my opinion on a personal level, I can get very emotional defending myself.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I don't care at all if I like to something I just do it.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
My friends won't call me for a night out. :) Actually, I prefer not to go out that much.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Stop every kind of work and just surf the internet. Not being productive at all.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I don't like superficial people at all.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Theories about science and psychology. And the obvious topics of course.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
Schedules, tidiness...

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality?
They perceive my quite right I think.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Sleeping until 3 PM, then doing whatever comes to my mind and go to sleep at 4-6 AM. I hate daylight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
you sound 100% INFP to me..... welcome to the club ! it's a gift and a curse imho :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Thanks for reading my post and answering, but what do you mean with period exactly? Do you mean that I periodically use Ti instead of Fi with Fi being dominant?
I mean what @The Eye said about you being 100% INFP beyond any doubts. Period as in, I don't need to provide any further detail because you are like so totally totes mcgoats an INFP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, for me it is quite confusing that me being INFP is so clear. It's a little hard for me to actually get it. I have always been proud of being INTP, but it seems I was hiding from myself... It will take some days for me to accept this...at the end I probably expected that outcome :/

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I can understand your sentiment. I always thought I was enneagram 4w5 sp/sx, but I'm actually 5w4 sx/sp. I test INTP most of the time now even though I am still a clear Fi dom. Might change in the future too as I learn more about myself. Such is life. :tongue:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts