Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this though have been reading about MBTI for a few months now, I'm hooked. A few things about myself..

1. I'm able to glance at a paragraph and somehow know how many lines there are in it.

2. I love guessing at things; how long till the traffic lights change, how much a friend is able to bench press, the time I'll get somewhere.

3. I'm very competitive and measure my competence based on external standards.

4. I can be quite critical when I see people doing something which could be done much faster or effectively. I feel compelled to say something.

5. I enjoy maths, though went off it because I needed to see all the ways in which the equation could be inverted/converted/applied etc. I wanted to see more of a practical application.

6. I'm very aware of my environment in crowds, constantly weaving between slower people.

7. I listen to music which correlates with my mood, sometimes I try and connect to music by considering personal events which I feel fit in nicely. Radiohead would be favourite band.

8. Although I consider it quite proposterous that people cling so tightly to horoscopes/tarrot cards, I perhaps rather hypocritically find them quite interesting and almost forget that I don't believe they have any insight.

9. I write poetry, which quite often is heavily metaphorical or tries to teach a lesson to humans. For instance I've written a poem in which a group of people wonder endlessly down long, bending roads without listening to the wisdom of the trees that they ironically fear and look down on. Yeah...go figure <--- I feel like rewording this because it annoys me when people say it.

10. Sometimes if I'm being held back by people, have to wait on them, have my day decided on them - I get quite restless almost claustrophic.

11. Now and again I know the answers to things without being able to explain how to others and even without knowing that I knew the meaning of the word. I find that I think most concisely and intelligently when I'm not thinking too hard and I'm letting my mind drift.

12. I like to get work that needs to be done out of the way but I can procrastinate a lot and get very stressed close to deadlines. I get sidetracked quite easily and I'm forgetful which leads me to question whether I'm INTJ.

13. I've been told that I'm quite funny, I often laugh at jokes I've recalled when I'm in public and laugh way after a joke has been told because my mind almost grabs hold of it and creates mental imagery. It's a tug-of-war between indulging in my laughter and appearing socially..correct.

If you read 'em all, I have to congratulate you. Any input would be great, I'll add more if you need it.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think from this I would type you as an INTP - I think your habits / mannerisms / contradictions fit with that quite nicely, seems pretty clear to me. Functions-wise; the INTP and INTJ types are basically opposites there, I think that the Fe/Ti and Ni/Se are moderately plain to see, though I could understand confusion, with points 3 or 11 - I still think that you match INTP descriptions and accounts very well, and I think it is a much more apt typing than INTJ for you. Hope I helped a bit.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!
Yeah I can see what you mean, I can be quite goofy at times and reflect on jokes a lot which I would say is Si and inferior Fe. I don't fully understand Ni and Ne though which may be where my confusion is coming from.
Some more things about me, I haven't really touched on social tendencies.

I feel uncomfortable when people get too close when they talk to me, I would say most people are the same. I imagine fairly strong Fe users can do this without realising.

I'm also very good at reading people and noticing facial expressions, working out people's strengths and weaknesses. Trivial talk to me is often a waste of time but I can see why it is useful (maintain bonds, identify similarities, etc.). Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ah right - yeah that could be it, so long as you're aware that you don't have a complete understanding yet haha.
Yeah, sounds more like Fe than Fi for sure I think. Though it was useful to have some more clarity on that - no problem !

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this the only thing that makes you doubt being an INTJ?
I'm also skeptical because my motivation comes mainly and pretty much only from inspirations, aspiring to match the accomplishments or knowledge of figures I look up to. I sometimes actually window shop at Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche etc. stores to restore my motivation to succeed.

I can also be very critical and hateful towards people obsessed with trying to appear superior to others or in some way strive to get the upperhand. I'm very good at sussing people out based on minimal information and facial expressions which suggests Fe at work to me. I also hate confrontation and general conflict situations, I can be highly sensitive to rejection too which INTJs aren't famous for

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you taken the Big Five? If not I'd be very interested in hearing what your score is.
Factor I : Extraversion (AKA Surgency)This trait
reflects preference for, and behavior in, social situations. People high in
extraversion are energetic and seek out the company of others. Low scorers
(introverts) tend to be more quiet and reserved. Compared to other people who
have taken this test, your score on this dimension (18) is relatively
low

Factor II : Agreeableness (AKA Friendliness)This trait
reflects how we tend to interact with others. People high in agreeableness tend
to be trusting, friendly and cooperative. Low scorers tend to be more aggressive
and less cooperative. Compared to other people who have taken this test, your
score on this dimension (21) is relatively low.

Factor III : Conscientiousness (AKA Will or
Dependability)This trait reflects how organized and persistent
we are in pursuing our goals. High scorers are methodical, well organized and
dutiful. Low scorers are less careful, less focussed and more likely to be
distracted from tasks. Compared to other people who have taken this test, your
score on this dimension (22) is relatively low.

Factor IV : NeuroticismThis trait reflects the
tendency to experience negative thoughts and feelings. High scorers are prone to
insecurity and emotional distress. Low scorers tend to be more relaxed, less
emotional and less prone to distress. Compared to other people who have taken
this test, your score on this dimension (29) is relatively high.

Factor V : Openness (AKA Culture or Intellect)This
trait reflects 'open-mindedness' and interest in culture. High scorers tend to
be imaginative, creative, and to seek out cultural and educational experiences.
Low scorers are more down-to-earth, less interested in art and more practical in
nature. Compared to other people who have taken this test, your score on this
dimension (25) is about average.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you taken the Big Five? If not I'd be very interested in hearing what your score is.
I think it is the desire to make other people feel belittled in trying to appear superior which annoys me about some people. Not purely their desire to be more powerful and strive to be successful, that's all well and good and should be encouraged even. But it's that need to appear better to the detriment of someone else that truly grinds my gears.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually inclined to think you are a ISTP. You seem to use Se from your bullet points earlier.
Have you looked at ISTP before?
I've actually considered this because I've always loved sports and used to juggle between 3 sports at a time; swimming, football and judo. Ti does seem to be quite prominent in my functions and I'm big on aesthetics, sometimes at the expense of efficiency.

·
MOTM November 2013
2,702 Posts
INTJ vs. INTP: Type Differences - Personality Junkie

4. I can be quite critical when I see people doing something which could be done much faster or effectively. I feel compelled to say something.
http://thomaslauer.com/start/INTJs said:
INTJs love ideas, love to put things to the test, love to tear them apart, so that they can see their inner workings. There are two main reasons why they love to do these things. They want to understand how something works and they look for ways to make it work even better. Incessantly. They are completely efficiency-driven. And they don't stop at the front door: INTJs see themselves (and others) as systems (albeit rather complicated ones) and, like any other system, these systems can be (at least partly) understood and hopefully coaxed into working more efficiently.
5. I enjoy maths, though went off it because I needed to see all the ways in which the equation could be inverted/converted/applied etc. I wanted to see more of a practical application.
INTPs are generally better theorists. Knowledge for its own sake. INTJs are all about practical application; we learn what it takes to make it work, then we do it.

10. Sometimes if I'm being held back by people, have to wait on them, have my day decided on them - I get quite restless almost claustrophic.
So you are a P instead of a J?

11. Now and again I know the answers to things without being able to explain how to others and even without knowing that I knew the meaning of the word. I find that I think most concisely and intelligently when I'm not thinking too hard and I'm letting my mind drift.
Since Ni is a perceiving function, INTJs often report that its workings often feel effortless. When INTJs express the need to “think about” something, this means something very different from what it might for other types. Namely, the lion’s share of INTJs’ “thinking” or processing occurs outside of their conscious awareness. In other words, their best thinking is typically done without thinking, at least not consciously. For INTJs and INFJs alike, ”sleeping on” a problem is as sure a route to a solution as any.

Because it does much of its work subconsciously, Ni can seem to have a magical quality to it. In fact, it is not unusual for INJs, particularly INFJs, to be viewed as having some degree of psychic or prophetic abilities. Despite its magical appearance, Ni can be understood on a rational basis. What seems to be occurring is that INTJs have a highly sensitive inferior function, Extraverted Sensation (Se), which gathers copious amounts of sensory information from the outside world, including subtleties that other personality types tend to miss. Their Ni then subconsciously processes this data in order to make sense of it, like assembling pieces of a puzzle. Once finished, Ni generates an impression that seems to come “out of nowhere.” But the fact is that the intuition did not come from nowhere, but from a synthesis of sensory data gathered from the immediate environment combined with information from the INTJ’s own psyche.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
INTJ vs. INTP: Type Differences - Personality Junkie

It was the Ti and the Ni which I see in myself which made me consider Revolutionist's point that I may be ISTP, it is their 1st and 3rd function.

My father is an ESTJ with very strong Te which could account for my need to see efficiency around me. I believe introverted thinking can also be perfectionistic, expecting the same from others which could explain that impatience I have for inefficiency.

One thing I noticed that INTPs don't seem to show is that I'm highly competitive in all things and judge my competency on external standards and averages. I need to be the best at everything I undertake.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's pretty clear that you aren't a INTP.

What would make you say you are a Ti user and not a Te user?
Because I'm very cynical of people's motives and make quick judgements on people based on their actions before I begin to consider people reasons for their behaviour (stress, past events, circumstances, etc.)

I also study psychology at uni and im really interesting in understanding why people do certain things, how defence mechanisms form and human nature. Philosophy interests me too, but my areas of interet are always changing and when I'm passionate about something I could spend 20 hours a week studying it and suddenly want to move on. Chess, philosophy, maths, engineering, swimming, its quite depressing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts