Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I originally stumbled across the MBTI system with a random google for "personality quizzes" about two months ago, and I've been researching them ever since. My first result ever was ISTP, but after three more tests (completely different sites and everything :cool:) I was getting INTP all around.

The problem is that, after my research thus far, I'm not as certain that I'm an INTP as I first was.

Problems I've noticed:
- I seem to notice physical objects that are out of place more often than I should with Si. Mostly stuff on the ground: pens, paperclips, bobby pins, etc...

- I've noticed myself openly calling people idiots for minor faults in things. Not a majority of the time, but it happens a lot.

Personal traits:
- I have biases, but having them irks me. I don't supress them, so much as I reason them out of existence. Early childhood biases still pop up from time to time, and it infuriates me.
- I want to eliminate all bias for perfect (internal) social equality when dealing with others.

- The majority of my homework (high school) doesn't get done because I spend hours at a time researching my topics of interest.

- The only time I socialize is when I'm communicating an idea.

- I've been told by an ESTP (friend? I would hesitate in calling him that.) that I never make sense.

- I'm the slowest test taker in the room, but my answers are almost always correct (assuming I've been taking the subject and I care).

- Every morning before classes start, I walk in circles around the school courtyard and have a conversation about my newest research and ideas with an ISTJ.

- In English class, on more than one occasion with my most recent teacher, my teacher (ESFP) has had to look up words I've used in an answer. She also forbade the use of the word "analog" because it was "archaic". :rolleyes:

- That very same English teacher got into an argument with me about an essay where I told her that it was the reader's work to understand the writer if they're going to bother reading a text.

- When writing, I focus so hard on the idea that I end up writing it into the sub-text. I often attach my ideas by one or two words, and it makes perfect sense to me, even months later.

- I'm fluent in five different programming languages (Lua, Java, MoonScript(translates to Lua), Python, and Ruby) because I decided I wanted to be a programmer at the age of eight and have been working on that ever since.

- I often (attempt) to steal things from others to get their attention because people typically don't notice me. I seem to fade into the background, which is nice sometimes, but can be a pain when I need to bounce ideas off of others.

- I have trouble speaking up. Speaking in what others deem a normal tone makes me feel like I'm yelling.

- I've gone on rants (only about two or three) about the possibilities implied by small, seemingly insignificant objects. (paperclip has infinite possible arrangements and placements, making it, theoretically, infinitely useful)

- I hate human languages because they're so slow and can't convey my ideas as concisely as my mind can.

- In a group of programmers, I'm the one who goes out and finds new software to try, then attempts to pull in others. (I then proceed to never uninstall said software until, one day, I just want to format my entire computer to fix the problem... without backing up first)

- When a program crashes, I immediately reach for a debugger and get frustrated when I can't figure out what went wrong. (For all programs)

- I manipulate the operating system to do what I want. (It's my computer, not Microsoft's)
- I have root access on more than one school computer.

- The only reason I wanted a phone was to develop on it. I turn it off otherwise, communication isn't so important that I need to be available 24/7.

- I feel the need to have an "anchor" who I tend to. Only after my first "anchor," whom I didn't even know by that phrase until later, did I have the dependency.

- I attempt to remain polite, but quickly dispatch meaningless physical contact.

- My bedroom has an order, but that only changes once in every ten years. The random stuff on top, on the other hand, is quite ephemeral. There is no order except the chronology of the given items.

- I often sit editing a sentence for two minutes because I can see the change in meaning the second I manipulate the sentence's words. Self editing and censorship is a major problem for me.

Thanks for reading, your mental stamina amazes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found two things I want to comment on in particular.

- I'm fluent in five different programming languages (Lua, Java, MoonScript(translates to Lua), Python, and Ruby) because I decided I wanted to be a programmer at the age of eight and have been working on that ever since.
That doesn't strike me as very INTP-like. I'm certainly not that decisive about my life choices (let alone at age 8), and I've yet to meet a language (programming or otherwise) that I could stick with long enough to reach fluency, other than my native English. Not to say that we can't be driven, but it's a pointer in the J direction from where I'm sitting.

- I hate human languages because they're so slow and can't convey my ideas as concisely as my mind can.
I don't really identify with this, either. I find a certain amount of pleasure, in fact, in using language precisely. My wife, on the other hand, who is an INFJ, does relate and attributes her occasional difficulties with ideas-to-language to her dominant Ni, which INTJs share. She says "It's like having an overflow of thoughts." And she's pestering me incessantly to fiddle with that quote right there, while to me it delivers just enough information for me to understand her point. Oh, and she thinks you write a little like an INTJ, and she's been rather shockingly good at deducing type from writing style in the past, in my experience. I like to test her.

So, yeah, just a little insight, maybe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't strike me as very INTP-like. I'm certainly not that decisive about my life choices (let alone at age 8), and I've yet to meet a language (programming or otherwise) that I could stick with long enough to reach fluency, other than my native English. Not to say that we can't be driven, but it's a pointer in the J direction from where I'm sitting.
I seem to use programming languages more as launch pads for further study, with each giving me access to new locations.
Lua - Quick console scripts
Java - Browser and web apps
Python - More console scripts
Ruby - Web apps again

I mean, I undoubtedly have over 200 projects I've yet to finish. Even if I cared to try to finish them, I wouldn't dare. I look at the code again and hate the quality and know how long it'll take... ugh. Too much work for such a specific task. D:

I don't really identify with this, either. I find a certain amount of pleasure, in fact, in using language precisely. My wife, on the other hand, who is an INFJ, does relate and attributes her occasional difficulties with ideas-to-language to her dominant Ni, which INTJs share. She says "It's like having an overflow of thoughts." And she's pestering me incessantly to fiddle with that quote right there, while to me it delivers just enough information for me to understand her point. Oh, and she thinks you write a little like an INTJ, and she's been rather shockingly good at deducing type from writing style in the past, in my experience. I like to test her.
I love precision, but why state in 45 words what can be summed up in about three? I'm reading Boy's Life right now and it's killing me. The level of detail included makes me almost want to rip out entire pages in distress.

Reactions: Keyoke
1 - 3 of 3 Posts