Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went from knowing my type to questioning 3 out of 4 of the letters?
I always thought I was INFJ. I usually got that on tests, occasionally got INFP, and felt that I understood INFJs very well. But recently I've realized that INFJ is more who I WANT to be than who I actually AM. I want to be more in touch with emotions and less uncomfortable dealing with emotions (F) and I want to be more organized and whatnot (J). However, I think I am more T than F and more P than J. I am struggling with N vs S. I am 99.9% sure that I am I not E. I am very friendly and a people pleaser an many people think I am extroverted, but put me in a large group and I am overshadowed and significantly quieter. These large groups are enjoyable as long as I am friends with the people, but they drain me. I can spend all day every day for a week by myself with no complaints.
I am typing on my iPhone and therefore currently inable to easily copy and paste a questionnaire. Instead, I will share my random observations of myself. Which isn't much since I am not very self aware of how I act/are perceived by others or anything like that. I am we'll aware and in control of my actions, but I do not easily understand what each action adds up to meaning about my personality as a whole.
I am rather sarcastic, critical, and my friends even call me cynical some times. I am the least girly of my friends in that I am by no means a hopeless romantic or anything like that. I just can't be incredibly hopeful and vulnerable about stuff like that. I tend toward sarcasm and cynicism instead. About everything really. I am not gullible. I can't watch an infomercial with criticising sarcastically.
I always apologize for my actions when I think I might be annoying to someone. Like when I'm watching tv and notice I have criticized way too many infomercials to not be annoying! Haha :)
I can't stand being vulnerable. It's almost like being embarrassed easily, but I hide it. I don't let people in very easily. Lots of people think I'm that typical friendly, intelligent yet skmewhat ditzy teenage girl. Only about 5 friends know me well enough to see my vulnerable deep side. Even my best friend of 5 years I still hesitate to show my vulnerable side because in the back of my mind I can't stop thinking about that one random time three years ago when she did so and so that hurt me or something along those lines. I lose trust for people easily.
I am very attentive to details. I always notice people's mannerisms and speech patterns especially. I make a game of watching unscripted tv shows such and game shows talk shows and reality shows just to pick out people's habits. This girl says "and then" before answering the next trivia question, that guy ruffles his hair when he's stressed, she bites her lip when she's thinking. I'm well aware of other people's habits like that. Is this a sensing trait?
I am easily distracted. Easiest example: last night I was reading East of Eden for my summer reading for AP Literature. I took what I thought would be a 10 minute break, started reading online about MBTI, enneagram, socionics, etc (as I often do-- it is an obsession of mine and I type people all the time, just not myself). I ended up reading about it until 4:30 in the morning. I took my break around 11 pm. It's typical for me to lose track of time due to being so engrossed in what I'm doing. I often need people to repeat themselves when I'm doing something Im really into.
I'm very good at math. I love the puzzle and my friends frequently ask me for help. I hated geometry but I love algebra and I'm excited for precalculus this upcoming year. I look at a problem and immediately I see everything I have to do. I often skip steps just because they're unnecessary, much to the annoyance of my teachers who worry I won't get full credit on exams because of not showing all my work. I do make sure to show it all when necessary, like on exams. I hate being distracted or interrupted during a math problem. It's difficult for me to have my thought process halted because I often have to start all over again. I get very engrossed in math problems when doing them.
I'm obsessed with science. I love it. Biology, chemistry, earth science, I love all the natural sciences. I like knowing how things work and I like researching to learn more. Such is the case with MBTI! I research it like crazy.
I have a creative side. I have been into literature, specifically novel writing, since I was very little. I always understood things most people thought I wouldn't. In 5th grade I read 5 People You Meet in Heaven and got as much out of it as I do 6 years later. I enjoy reading and literature a lot. I am also very into drawing and painting. I love the value and texture part of drawing, leading me to think its because of how detail specific that is.
I am definitely that friend you go to when you want someone who will listen. I always listen before saying anything. I am much more of a listener than a talker.
I much prefer writing over talking. Talking is hard for me because I like to think everything through and make sure it is phrased exactly right and that it comes across the way I want it to. I pause a lot while talking unless I have already planned out what I want to say. I'm that person who messes up words, puts words in the wrong place of the sentence ("my favorite red is color"). I think I'm trying to think of what I want to say and I can't do that if I am also talking because the two actions get jumbled together and words get mixed up. I also feel more comfortable with writing especially when dealing with emotions. I rarely share emotions in person. I have a tendency to share feelings over letter or text. I'm known for writing 10 page letters about my issues and sending super long texts at 3 AM about my problems. I'm not confrontational and I avoid conflict A LOT. My best friend said that's the main weakness she sees in me: my avoidance of conflict. I am a mediator and I stay out of fights which is good unless I'm part of the problem or I'm the one having the problem with someone else! That's why I come across as so friendly. Everyone thinks I like them because I can't bring myself to show my dislike for them in person.
I learn best with examples. That's why I have so much trouble with MBTI sometimes even though its so interesting to me. I need specific examples and real life applications to fully understand each function. Say Te and explain the concept of it. I will say so what? That means nothing to me and I will be thoroughly confused until you give me a real life relatable example of how that is displayed. I don't do well with big picture concepts sometimes. I'm great at finding symbolism and whatnot in literature, but I find it difficult to find overall themes and meaning. Same with history. I memorize information in the textbook but if you ask me which time period had a better economy or which leader was more involved in international affairs, I would have absolutely no idea despite having all the information in my head needed to know the answer. I would have to spend a significant amount of time thinking "well their trade with so and so was good, they met with so and so on January 23 at 10 AM, they made about __ that year" and take a really long time to think it through. Is this sensing? It's hard for me to say I'm sensing though because I love theories and concepts, as long as I have examples/a good grasp on understanding them. If I don't understand, I research until I do.
I lose track of thoughts easily. I had so many ideas of what to write in this but I was in the middle of writing about something else and thought I would get to it afterward. I didn't though because I forgot it!
I am aware of cognitive functions, but I don't know them well enough to use them to type me. I am very unaware of myself like I said previously. I am enneagram 5w6, although I originally typed myself as 6w7 and feel that there is a part of 6w7 in me even though I am strongly 5w6.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Oh wow..

First of all, with your conflict avoidance, have you considered Enneagram 9 instead of 5? It's a common confusion.

Several different MBTI types came to mind as I read your message..
I'm INTP and do relate to a lot of what you wrote, but other parts made me think you could be INFP, INFJ, or even ENFP and ESTP.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually never considered being anything extroverted, but perhaps if I looked into those more I might discover something I can fully relate to. I do feel that I relate to INTP to a point, but I find myself unsure between T and F because I relate to both so well.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually never considered being anything extroverted, but perhaps if I looked into those more I might discover something I can fully relate to. I do feel that I relate to INTP to a point, but I find myself unsure between T and F because I relate to both so well.
some extroverts claim that they aren't all that extroverted socially. I hear that most often from ENTPs and ENFPs

When you talk about the vulnerability. That does sound like an INTP with inferior Fe. But if you find your thinking and feeling are more equal.. could be ENTP or ENFP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts