Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you consider to be your most endearing quirks as an INTP? Or for you non-INTPs, what quirks do you find the most silly/humorous/funny/whatever?

I don't know if this is an INTP thing, but I don't step on cracks. I'm not superstitious or OCD or anything. It just destroys my sense of order in the world somehow if I step on a crack. I once worked somewhere where they had "tiles" of carpet where each one had lines that were at a perpendicular angle to the adjoining ones and it was maddening! Not only do I have to not step on the divisions between squares, but I have to align my foot with the lines on the carpet.

Anyone have this habit? Anyone have any equally kooky habits?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I do the exact same thing lol, and if I do step on a crack, then I have to step on another crack with the other foot on the same spot of my foot where I stepped on the initial crack... If I don't do that then one foot feels "heavy"....kind of weird. And if there isn't any cracks, then I imagine lines go out from other things and I can't step on those lines either o_O

·
Banned
596 Posts
I do it too! If I step on a crack with my left foot, I MUST step on the next one with my right! Then all shall be well. I only avoid them if I'm not too concentrated on anything else, though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
One thing that cracks up my E colleague is the fact I go off on a random rant when something really ticks me off, effing and blinding etc - for some reason has her in stitches. It could be that it's just my dialect that makes her laugh (she's Liverpudlian, me SW London).

I don't have any borderline OCD quirks though...at least I don't think so.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Yeah I do the crack thing, only when I'm looking at the floor obviously. But my head is usually raised these days and not lowered when I'm walking down the street so I've kinda broken the habit.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I urinate in my bathroom sink. Saves water. Horrifies my gf (so does peeing in the shower; "why wait until afterI get out of the shower and use more water," I say too her disgusted face).
I don't do this anywhere but home though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I always sit is odd, crouched up or spawled out positions.
I trace my lips with my fingers while I read.
I dance while I'm in the shower [a bit dangerous but everyone loves a risk taker, right?]
I do the same thing [stepping on cracks] and have to set a pattern of walking for myself.

Go arrogence!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I urinate in my bathroom sink. Saves water. Horrifies my gf (so does peeing in the shower; "why wait until afterI get out of the shower and use more water," I say too her disgusted face).
I don't do this anywhere but home though.
No offence, but....ewwww....sorry.:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tend to walk into traffic while lost in thought. Luckily, there's usually someone there to grab me.
Stepping on cracks was a big deal when I would walk home from the bus stop, but nowadays, it only bothers me if I happen to think about it.
When trying to solve a tough problem , I contort my body somewhat and rock back and forth or roll around.
I also tend to lie down in odd places (the kitchen, a hallway, stairs), mostly when I'm bored.

I wasn't sure if this was supposed to correlate to personality type, so those are probably just my personal quirks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Stepping on cracks, too.

(Borderline OCD behaviour?:) But also, if I'm going downstairs I have to touch a specific part of the stair. And if a bright light leaves those spots in my retina, I have to find another bright light and have those same spots in my other eye's retina, otherwise one eye will feel more "hurt" (?) than the other. This happens a lot when I'm riding in the car at night and the streetlamps are on. Or if I touch something with one hand, I have to touch the same thing on the exact same spot on the other hand. This happens especially when I'm typing. I keep wanting to touch the letter "i", the space and backspace keys, the shift keys, the left click button. I have to keep running my fingers all over the computer, or else they'll feel weird @[email protected]

Also, when I'm concentrating really hard, I'll chew on my fingers or twist my body up into some contorted shape and sit either really still or rock back and forth.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I read the ingredient labels on EVERYTHING, and then I research the ingredients I'm not familiar with. I do this with food, skin and beauty products, household cleaners, ect. Any new product I buy will get inspected lol!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do the sidewalk thing (or walk in some other pattern) when I think about it, which is occasionally.
If I'm in class, and I'm not doing some conscious activity, I'll get lost in thought and miss the lecture. I've dealt with this with excessive note-taking. I never study the notes, but I take in what the teacher is saying. I could just as easily play solitaire, but most teachers wouldn't like that.
I always have my Gmail tab open, and generally have at least 3 other tabs open which I intend to read ... later.

EDIT: How could I forget! My reply to any question about if I liked a movie/food/a song/easiness or hardness of some activity/any other subjective yes or no question is always either "I don't know" or "I guess...".

·
Registered
988 Posts
I do the sidewalk thing almost constantly, and it becomes a tile thing while inside. The only problem is that I also have an obsession with having my strides match the length or half-length of the adjacent door, window, or whatever opening in sight.
I'm also obsessed with getting everything symmetrical, and having everything stay pristine even though I know how useless it is to try.
I often blank out what the teacher was saying, but I can multitask easily.
I'm really, really obsessed with having my tabs stay open.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have a terrible habit of chewing plastic.
Agreed. I chew on anything on hand, even if it has sharp corners and damages my gums or tongue. I'm also so OCD-ish it's almost funny. A tiny stain on my shirt (especially if it is a contrasting color) will make me throw an almighty mental fit even though it is invisible to outsiders, I must fidget because my hands will tremble after holding still for over five seconds since I attract mosquitos very well, and I feel unbearably filthy when I sweat slightly. My hands are often sweaty, just so you know.

I think my mother's OCD rubbed off on me. :mellow: ISFJ's are contagious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a weird one but or some reason I can't be in a stall or my bathroom when the toilet is flushing...I have no clue why...

But I also feel a terrible terrible compulsion to pick up any metallic object I see on the street...be it a spoon or a coin or....well anything, I'll walk past then I just feel like a situation will soon occur where I will need that object so I have to run back and grab it...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts