Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do all INTPs have monotone voices? Why is there writing so messy? Why do they dress so sloppily? Why do they always look dead inside? I know about 3 INTPs (none of them very personally) and they're all like this! I mean of course they're all very different people, but I've just observed a few of these common traits between them and I'm wondering if it's an INTP thing or not.

So, INTPs...?

·
Banned
8,159 Posts
Why do all INTPs have monotone voices? Why is there writing so messy? Why do they dress so sloppily? Why do they always look dead inside? I know about 3 INTPs (none of them very personally) and they're all like this! I mean of course they're all very different people, but I've just observed a few of these common traits between them and I'm wondering if it's an INTP thing or not.

So, INTPs...?
I have Asperger's. That's a good excuse for my monotonous voice. Maybe it has something to do with my lack of expression and suppressed feeling.

If I have to chicken scratch something it's messy. I heard something about doctors and engineers, and I'm an engineer, having messy writing. If it needs to be neat, it's messy. Actually, I have very nice handwriting when I want to. I started writing nicely again when it got so messy that I couldn't read my own chicken scratch.

I dress very well, thank you very much. It might be considered odd, mind you, but it looks good.

As for looking dead, maybe it gives credence to the adage of being the warmest machine. I've been told my eyes look dead, sad, creepy, and a few other things. Maybe it's because we are only interacting with the external world on autopilot a lot of the time (it may factor into the monotonous voice, too). Check again when we're interested in something.

You are knowledgeable in regards to three INTPs or you know approximately three INTPs?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
So, INTPs...?
I don't have a monotone voice at all if I am speaking about something that I am interested in. My tones can vary depending on the subject at hand or the person that I am talking to (I mirror theirs if they aren't acting fake and obnoxious). However, I do speak in a monotone voice if I am disinterested in something or someone (which may be most of the time).

My handwriting isn't terribly messy, at least everyone can make out what I write. I still retain that "girl handwriting," so it's legible. :tongue:

Usually, we aren't terribly interested in our outer appearance as much as our inner thoughts. Our world exists primarily in our heads, so maybe that's why we appear to look sloppy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "look dead inside."

You've only had 3 INTPs to base these traits off of, I'm sure there are other INTPs out there that act or behave differently than those 3.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
All of these can be contributed to the fact that we simply don't give a shit. I don't care enough to put inflection in my voice. I don't care enough to put effort into making my writing legible, or take it over there. I don't care enough to take care of my clothes or dress appropriately. I don't care enough to have a facial expression.
You probably get the idea. We very rarely think about the external world. Our world is in our minds, constantly evolving into more interesting things. Why would we put any effort into the external when the internal is so intriguing?
This is likely difficult for you, being ENFP, to understand, as ENFPs are essentially 100% focused on the external(specifically other people). Case in point:, you noticed these things about the INTPs you know.

A good example is this:. Imagine there is something you really could care less about. For an example I'm going to use mechanics. Now let's say that pretty much everybody in the world is obsessed with mechanics, to the point where the entire world is essentially run by mechanics, and everything is related to mechanics. You can't go to the store without having to do mechanics. You can't get a job without doing mechanics. You can't leave your house without doing mechanics. If you don't like mechanics you are looked down on, thought of as weird, or simply hated. But you don't like mechanics, so you have to figure something out. Do you pretend you like mechanics? That's pretty tedious, and eventually you'll just end up shooting yourself from pure boredom. Do you find a job where you don't have to do mechanics? That's hard, and it takes years of special training to find jobs like that. Do you just sit at home and never go anywhere? Sure, but eventually you'll be a hobo and starve to death. Remember, you can't even step out of your house without having to do some sort of mechanics. There are broken cars EVERYWHERE.
Now imagine that instead of mechanics, it's people you don't like, and you will start to get the idea. INTPs just don't like socializing, and putting effort into it is horribly tiring.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I hate screaming or other people screaming, god fucking dammit. I usually maintain a monotonous voice, but like @RedPandas said, my tone can change depending on the conversation, but not to an atrocious level.
And I do have some kind of "fashion decency", I usually pay attention to what I wear, otherwise I'd walk like a clown in the middle of the street, but it's not something that fancy. I basically use matching colors (all black/grey, to be honest) but nothing extravagant and tidy, so some could call me sloppy, yeah.
As for dead inside, I wouldn't go far as saying that we're dead inside. If you just had to ability to fully explore our conscience, you could see how rich it is.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

So, INTPs...?
I have been told I'm many things but being monotone is not one of them. I do have difficulty gauging the volume of my voice though.
Why do I dress messy? Because you're fucking lucky I a) showed up and b) I'm even wearing clothing.
I rewrite what I have hand written until my penmanship looks more desirable to me. But in the moment nothing can keep up with my genius :p (this rewriting is for self serving purposes, calming the ocd tendencies).

We're not dead inside, humans are just energy suckers and you have to be cautious. I'm actually quite delightful if you do more than observe me from a distance. Just don't come to me if you expect someone who will sugar coat everything and blow smoke up your ass.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

So, INTPs...?
INTPs look dead inside? Get to know their inside instead of focusing on their clothes, then we'll talk about it.

I hear this a lot specifically from anyone with a Fi. It seems like Ti sounds empty to them, which is absolutely ludicrous. I would go as far as to say that it's actually just the Fi that also sees voices as monotone and clothes as 'sloppy', because it is comparing those characteristics with who knows what kind of subjective standard. I don't even know what 'monotone voice' or 'sloppy clothing' means.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Also, this will probably sound mean but if I look disheveled and messy around you then I have deemed you at a level where it isn't necessary to impress you with my clothing. Now if you were someone I was trying to impress like a potential employer then it would be a different story.
I have and I would dress up to impress a person I deem worthy.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
One of my favorite teachers from school was a male teacher that had the epitome of a monotone voice. A lot of other teens hated him for it but I loved his class. In school I made an art out of "how little can I do and still pass." He motivated me to exert a tiny bit more energy (I even actually paid attention in his class) and I tended to always be in the top three with that smidgeon bit more he could get me to do.
So, there is nothing wrong with having a monotone voice. I would say if he could motivate me as a teacher he was a pretty successful at his job :p

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I have a monotone voice.
Royally imposed 'resting murderface'.
When I was younger I used to have extremely atrocious handwriting in the large and slanting downward degree. Plus being left handed in a school where most were right did not help. Eventually, I decided to change it and it went from large and messy to very small and legible. Though for my sig. it will be huge and fancy. OH so very fancy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
One of my favorite teachers from school was a male teacher that had the epitome of a monotone voice. A lot of other teens hated him for it but I loved his class. In school I made an art out of "how little can I do and still pass." He motivated me to exert a tiny bit more energy (I even actually paid attention in his class) and I tended to always be in the top three with that smidgeon bit more he could get me to do.
So, there is nothing wrong with having a monotone voice. I would say if he could motivate me as a teacher he was a pretty successful at his job :p
Same, my language teacher also has a monotonous voice, and I think she's my favorite teacher, overall. She can't communicate with the constant noisy class, so she writes, a lot. I never met a teacher who could express herself so well (both writing and speaking, we talk sometimes).

I think she's an INTJ.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Why do all INTPs have monotone voices?
Because we want you to listen to the words we are saying instead of the tone it is being said in.

Why is there writing so messy?
I don't have sloppy writing.

Why do they dress so sloppily?
I dress better than most everyone I know.

Why do they always look dead inside?
We want our nihilistic views to shine through so you know what you're getting into should you decide to initiate contact with us.

I know about 3 INTPs (none of them very personally) and they're all like this! I mean of course they're all very different people, but I've just observed a few of these common traits between them and I'm wondering if it's an INTP thing or not.

So, INTPs...?
Yes... it's probably an INTP thing.

·
Registered
987 Posts

So, INTPs...?
1) I do not have a monotone voice, although I suspect you may mean a voice that's less expressive than most. If that is the case, yes, I am not very expressive. I'm neither very good at being expressive, nor do I feel comfortable with being expressive.

2) My handwriting is not messy, though it is not bubbly and rounded either.

3) I don't dress sloppily, though my ESTP sister has complained that my choice in clothing is boring. I am perpetually in jeans and a t-shirt. I admit that my shoes are generally in a state of disrepair. I twist my feet when I walk, and the soles of my boots often detach at the heel. They tend to flop like flip-flops until I remember to glue them back on. Again, with clothing, I am not comfortable with being expressive, and I'd rather spend my limited money on something that I consider more important (fencing upgrades, barn repair, saving for a truck, etc.)

4) ETA: I forgot "dead inside." I generally hear that I am "hard to read." I think that it just doesn't come naturally for me to be expressive. I don't feel comfortable being expressive either, so...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I tend to sniff when I am being sarcastic with my friends. Its a audible clue that they shouldn't take me serious.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do when I am discussing something, I have a different face for work though because I enjoy what I do when I am serviceing others (huehue). ahem, working on their computers.

I have very nice hand writing.

I do not dress sloppily, I wear very nice shoes and slacks everyday. I spend money on clothes because I believe that clothes reflect your personality.

That depends on the person still. I don't think I look dead inside if I get enough sleep :p

I know about 3 INTPs (none of them very personally) and they're all like this! I mean of course they're all very different people, but I've just observed a few of these common traits between them and I'm wondering if it's an INTP thing or not.

So, INTPs...?
All INTPs are not built the same.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Because we don't put any emotion in our voices, because we don't have any.

Because we don't give a shit, as long as you can read it then who cares.

The clothes I wear look good according to me, some people may not appreciate this.

Because I am

1 - 20 of 78 Posts