The Outsiders
The Catcher in the Rye
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Fahrenheit 451
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Jane Eyre
Slaughterhouse-Five
Ender's Game

I recently discovered John Green via youtube, and he's now my favorite modern young adult author. I read Looking For Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and now I'm halfway through The Fault In Our Stars.

Fun fact: I have an F in my high school reading class. I've been reading plenty of books, but I haven't been reading the ones I'm supposed to read. Oh, well.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Informational material. Articles about languages, geology, geography, meteorology, gardening, economics, technology, web pages about ideas and how-to do things, and recently, how the hell to find a job.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Always fiction, mostly fantasy and supernatural, sometimes action and thriller...
almost never non-fiction unless it's for a class or something.

I'm a sucker for romance books ... but the plot HAS to be good. I hate senseless romance (i.e., girl and guy stuck in a room and suddenly start making out 'just because', or something along those lines...). If you want a really good example, pick up a Cosmo and start flipping pages...

Reactions: baba yaga

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sci-fi is fun. I also read large books about aerospace or military history. H.P. Lovecraft has been great fun to read, and I enjoy C.S. Lewis's writing. Never will I willingly read a romance fiction novel thing.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I read a variety range of books, some are non fiction: psychology, astronomy etc, fiction : romance, mystery, etc, science fiction, I also love to read cook books and catalogs. I guess I like to daydream as if the stuff are in front of me. Pink silk blouse and lasagna,yum yum.

·
Banned
395 Posts
Just fiction. I like steampunk and futuristic kind of things. I guess that equals sci-fi.
Oh, and I like fictional stories about normal people doing things that are only significant in their circle. Slice of life, I think it's called. It's a bit more relatable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I read fiction and non-fiction in roughly equal amounts.

Fiction:
Postmodern, metamodern, experimental literature and other artsy-fartsy stuff. Not necessarily currently experimental, it's enough if it was innovative in its time. Authors like Kurt Vonnegut, John Fowles, Thomas Pynchon, newer stuff like Victor Pelevin. I like weird books. And I'm admittedly kind of a pretentious twat.
And then the other end of the spectrum - adventure novels of various kinds. I grew up loving Alexandre Dumas, so I like Arturo Perez-Reverte and some select fantasy, like A Song of Ice and Fire (trendy right now, I know, but who cares?), Pratchett and Sapkowski. I'm pretty picky with these though, since 95% of genre fiction is shit, but the other 5% are glittering gems of awesome.

Non-fiction:
Anything that broadens my horizons, really. The three topics I read most about are history, physics and biology (only popular science stuff with the latter two though) and after that probably anthropology and political economics. Jack of all trades, practically competent at none.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I used to read everything.

Lots of fiction too but nothing fantasy based. I was never into that but now I can't read any fiction.

Aside from what I read for school I don't read much anymore, but when I do it's news articles or articles about whatever my current interest(mbti right now).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Like @TheOwl , I recently discovered John Green as well , and ended up reading every published book of his within a month. It was unadulterated enjoyment , Green has a unique way with words.

I read, and was plenty bored by the Hunger Games. Bleh.

I usually read a lot of classics; haven't yet let go of my long-standing dream of someday creating a literary masterpiece.

Favorites at this point of time: -A Brief History of Time ; The Hunchback of Notre Dame ; Shantaram; Harry Potter ; All the works of Rabindranath Tagore, Kurt Vonnegut and Tolstoy.

Currently parallel reading : The Idiot; The Picture of Dorian Gray ; Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Plato's Euthyphro.

Reactions: Marimeli

·
Registered
67 Posts
Non-Fiction, mostly. Internet articles in particular.

But I enjoy sci-fi, and just a good story. I've been meaning to read all the classics but most of them bore me. Except for 1001 Nights. I love that book. And the list of books I've been meaning to read is huge and ever growing... :/

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Some moron here got me reading "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. I am taking AP Literature and the diction is still a little irritating to wrap my head around. I've been spending too much of my academic career on SparkNotes.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I cracked open Genome tonight.
Other books on my book shelves:

Quantum mechanics, chemistry, evolution, physics, computer programming books (java, C, C++, visual basic, web, mostly old stuff) Reverse engineering books as well as computer security. Photography books (lots!) A couple books on introversion and some stephen king that I don't really read anymore. Weather textbooks one of which has some seriously heavy math with lead me to buy some math books like calculus. I don't even know where to start, LOL!

Most of these books I have not read yet and I am seriously thinking about hitting up the bookstore again on my day off!

Hmmm... I wonder if I can read a book and listen to another one at the same time

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
INTP reading habits are diverse enough that, in this subforum, we generally don't hand out reading suggestions unless the askee gives us a bit of detail of what *kind* of reading they're looking for, or other tidbits of information about them that we can tailor our suggestions around. That said, I do like me some Lois McMasters Bujold.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Primarily non-fiction books about behavioral psychology. Examples would be "What Every BODY is Saying," "Mindfire," "Thinking Fast and Slow," etc. Absolutely can't stand fiction. Never been able to get into it.

Some moron here got me reading "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. I am taking AP Literature and the diction is still a little irritating to wrap my head around. I've been spending too much of my academic career on SparkNotes.
That moron would be me. Have you enjoyed it thus far?

Reactions: Ista and baba yaga
1 - 20 of 54 Posts