Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone wiki Schizoid Personality Disorder and are disgruntled that it seems to describe a personality TYPE, yet the DSM-IV proclaims "disorder?" Not that I would not fully accept being labeled as Schizoid, or having a personality disorder, but what is the DSM-IV's classification of normal? What is the control group here? My interpretation of "normal" is not what psychology classes have taught. Any thoughts? What is normal? I can personally say that I am not, but the norms, in my opinion, are less so. And not to infringe upon anyone's Jungian rights, but what Jung types would the norms represent? Oh, and anyone familiar with "self-in-exile" and can relate (am assuming female INTPs more so than males)? Questions, questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Oh dear, I've been here before... isn't schizoid more to do with having some kind of profound disconnection from the world/self? The description which sounds so like INTP is just the symptoms of it.
Normality is a necessary structure, but I doubt a perfect example of it actually exists.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Anyone wiki Schizoid Personality Disorder and are disgruntled that it seems to describe a personality TYPE, yet the DSM-IV proclaims "disorder?" Not that I would not fully accept being labeled as Schizoid, or having a personality disorder, but what is the DSM-IV's classification of normal?
A lot of people can see certain character traits in symptoms of mental disorders...if you say that people with ADD have attention problems, well a lot of people can meet that. But it doesn't mean they would actually be diagnosed with ADD. It's more than that. 'Normal' by psychiatric standards cannot be linked to certain personality types...that would be...that would suck lol

This page might help you:
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV)

And since you referenced Wiki xD...:

Mental disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_disorder

I've talked with counselors, and a disorder can only be diagnosed if it's obvious that it affects your ability to live life or function in certain environments.And also, those traits that you may be able to describe yourself with are not all that you would need to be able to be diagnosed with the disorder. Those signs that are listed are different than the diagnostic criterion that would be used...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nyx, hope I did not imply intrepidation in the tone of my post. If I could get clinically diagnosed, I would probably record my voicemail message to say something like, "sorry I can't answer the phone right now, please leave a message and I will try and get back to you, once my Schizoid Personality Disorder has been effectively managed with respiridone." Maybe then my friends would understand that I didn't answer the phone because "something is wrong with me," instead of I simply have no desire to go to the outlet mall to get a "good deal" on a Coach purse, spending $200 instead of $400.

But so true in that everyone can somewhat relate to all mental disorders in some form, and at some point in their lives. The Schizoid thing seems to mention specific charater traits though, and does not clearly establish specific causes like so many other mental disorders, and diagnosis is vauge while readily suggesting different medications for treatment.

A few overt and covert symptoms/traits are as follows: noncompetitve, self-sufficient, cynical, withdrawn, aloof, capable of excitement with few select intimates, adverse to sexual gossip and innueindo, and the list goes on and on. Here is my interpretation of such symptoms: noncompetitive- why must we compete? self-sufficient- isn't this really a quality by normal standards? cynical= realistic. withdrawn- so what. aloof- and so? capable of excitement with few select intimates- what's wrong with being excited about stimulating conversation with the few who care to indulge in such, rather than be oppressed by shallow conversation in groups? adverse to sexual gossip and innueindo- so you really could care less about who the town whore is doing at the moment. I guess that's what I was getting at.

Oh, and thanks for the links! I love to read, which so happens to be another symptom of this disorder... they have a "particular fondness of nature and books." Too funny!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have been diagnosed at different times by different doctors with schizoid, borderline and clinical depression.
Same here. Now I think only one fits (depression, episodic, possibly bipolar-ish) but that has traceable roots and would disappear entirely if my circumstances were different.
Seems there is a connection between being INTP, especially female, and being diagnosed with a host of mental problems.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nyx, hope I did not imply intrepidation in the tone of my post. If I could get clinically diagnosed, I would probably record my voicemail message to say something like, "sorry I can't answer the phone right now, please leave a message and I will try and get back to you, once my Schizoid Personality Disorder has been effectively managed with respiridone."
I have read recently that glycine is an experimental (and working in human subjects) antipsychotic but does not work along the same pathways as typical antipsychotics and so doesn't have a tendency to cause tardive dyskinesia.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another recently-diagnosed schizoïd up there.
Depression and permanent headache.
Detachement from the world is not a good descritption since as intuitive thinkers we tend to analyse and understand it.
I would call it loneliness or meditative state.
I am so glad to be like these. I can't stand to be "in traffic" all the time. My life would vanish without me noticing it.

Sry for my bad English.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts