Personality Cafe banner

INTP Speak - Things We Say

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Mark R 
#1 ·
Hey there,

As an INTP, I seem to find myself using key phrases and words that I've learned will help others better understand where I am coming from. It occurred to me that other INTPs might be doing the same and that it would be interesting to share our "translated" speak with each other.

So, what are some things that you tend to say often? or
How do you change your speaking patterns when talking to specific people or people who are of a specific type?

For example, I tend to use a lot of metaphors. So I might tell others that I have a map inside my head and that I can't put new information on this map until I know exactly were that information belongs. It isn't exactly accurate, but it tends to paint a picture that others can understand.

What about you?

#3 · (Edited)
I sound confusing, a lot of times. I get a lot of "huh" and "that doesn't make sense" comments.
Still trying to figure out if I really don't make sense or the people I talk to just don't get me.

However, there are things that I say a lot...
"But that's subjective"
"Yeah, but....."
"BUT WHY? AND HOW?"
"I really don't give a f*ck as long as it doesn't affect me"
"I really don't give a f*ck . "
"Who cares"
"Why did I even try to do this"
"I'm not convinced by your argument. Apparently you're not convinced by mine either. Why are we doing this?"
"No, this is stupid, why would you do ------ this way? why don't you just do it like --------"
"I can't lie. Lying is stupid. Saying the truth is so much easier for everything."

#7 ·
Eh! I say almost all of these. lol.
But these reminded me of a few more:

"So?" Which I use as a dismissive "Why does that even matter?"

"How do you mean?", "Can you be more specific?", "How so?"

"In layman's terms..."

"This is too complicated for me to explain now."

"Could you repeat that, please?"

"I wasn't paying attention."

"Please don't do that."

"That upsets me, but I'm trying not to let it affect my behavior right now"

Person A "So you know [insert inane pop culture reference], right?"
Me: "No."
Person A: "Oh, well, this--"
Me: "And I don't really care."
*Awkward silence*

And my personal favorite:
*Smile and nod*

#8 ·
"Just because I find the situation to be funny doesn't mean I don't take it seriously."

I tend to laugh at or be amused by misery, whether it's mine or someone else's. This can be an issue since it makes me come off as a git if the company doesn't know I'm like this. So I often have to make a disclaimer if they get upset.

It's also a bit troublesome when arguing with my ESTJ/ESFJ parents who tend to be super serious in arguments. While I play around with ideas and statements by comparison. So the phrase gets used a lot in that scenario as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.