Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
High speed internet. I don't think anything else is required. Well ok, probably a library too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
High speed internet. I don't think anything else is required. Well ok, probably a library too.
^this.

But I like artsy crap and music too. So maybe an arts&crafts store and an electronics store?

Wait...

You can get this off the internet! Never mind. XD

·
Registered
384 Posts
A large park with discrete power cables running through it so I could relax and enjoy the forest while on my computer. The town would definitely have to be in a valley surrounded by mountains so I could hike all the time. We also need a particle accelerator and a university.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Oh man, the internet in the middle of a forest would be sweet as hell. Let's try to put some where in the highlands of Yosemite.

·
Registered
487 Posts
They would need a philosophical scientifically thinking pirate who could disappear when unneeded and teach calculus.

So, it would have to be an island, secluded but still near the cost of some city so we could get supplies, and so that I could live out my adventure seeking dreams while discussing the meaning of life with fellow island dwellers.

I like pirates. And science. And philosophy. And food.

·
Banned
349 Posts
A pharmaceutics capable of doing the emotion-suppressing drug Prozium (film: Equilibirum).
A clone factory (body and mind) as a new way of "reproduction".
A cyborg lab capable of installing a chip for increasing memory and automatizing some mental processes (coprocessor), and if possible wireless communication.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So it'd be like Renaissance Island?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't really like islands too much though. I'm built for mountains and forests. I prefer cold environments. By the way, all of our buildings will be underground. Leaving the above ground space for parks and farmland. We also need a fusion reactor to power the town. A small town populated by INT's should have no trouble making a working fusion core.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A pharmaceutics capable of doing the emotion-suppressing drug Prozium (film: Equilibirum).
A clone factory (body and mind) as a new way of "reproduction".
A cyborg lab capable of installing a chip for increasing memory and automatizing some mental processes (coprocessor), and if possible wireless communication.
There is a reason why we evolved to sexually reproduce instead of asexually even though it is much less efficient. Variety. If we are all cloned then our evolution from just a personality type to the great **** Nobilus, will never happen.

We need a breeding program built to accelerate our evolution and create **** Nobilus. Also, our biology part of the university will be mostly geared towards developing genetic implants to give to our children to increase physical and mental abilities.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How about modifying our own bodies so we don't have to eat that much? There could be a solar powered machine that creates multiple amounts of food.

·
Registered
384 Posts
How about modifying our own bodies so we don't have to eat that much? There could be a solar powered machine that creates multiple amounts of food.
Hm that would be tricky. I think that we should develop more efficient food supply and then modify our bodies to be bigger, stronger and smarter than the conventional human, which would take more food. I also think that our town should be the first mars colony. That way we don't need fences to keep away the morons.

·
Banned
349 Posts
There is a reason why we evolved to sexually reproduce instead of asexually even though it is much less efficient. Variety. If we are all cloned then our evolution from just a personality type to the great **** Nobilus, will never happen.

We need a breeding program built to accelerate our evolution and create **** Nobilus. Also, our biology part of the university will be mostly geared towards developing genetic implants to give to our children to increase physical and mental abilities.
I agree partly. When you say "there is a reason" I would say "there is a cause". I mean, it works with the consequences you pointed, it favors evolution because it favors diversity. But:

Evolution simply happens, it does not have to happen. I mean, there is no a moral law that forces life to evolve, it is only a cause-consequence relation. Things in nature are not better or worse (in human terms, valorations), simply are or aren't. I like to be an **** Sapiens (for evident reasons) and not an amoebe, but I do not feel mysel forced to make (or contribute to the existence) more evolved beings if I cannot apply these properties to myself (being also a more evolved being). It's like if I were forced to have children, contributing to the existence of the humanity...

Actually, the **** Sapiens is not evolving. Our technology allow to us not being limited to the better/worse genes we have, the expectatives of life and possibility of having descendence is similar to most humans. There is no more "the stronger have more children...". For evolving, we have only to possible ways: eugenics and/or genetic manipulation. And except supressing some severe genetic diseases, I think it could be better not doing it. Take the example of the film "Gattaca".

When I speak about clones, I also mentioned "clonig minds". It's in some way a form of "inmortality". And as I like me, why not more of me? It would be nice :laughing:

The idea of making an A.I or better than this, cloning our minds in artificial brains, is more interesting for me than the idea of "long term evolution". After all, organic beings will be always organic beings... reproduction of consciences, instead reproduction of bodies.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree partly. When you say "there is a reason" I would say "there is a cause". I mean, it works with the consequences you pointed, it favors evolution because it favors diversity. But:

Evolution simply happens, it does not have to happen. I mean, there is no a moral law that forces life to evolve, it is only a cause-consequence relation. Things in nature are not better or worse (in human terms, valorations), simply are or aren't. I like to be an **** Sapiens (for evident reasons) and not an amoebe, but I do not feel mysel forced to make (or contribute to the existence) more evolved beings if I cannot apply these properties to myself (being also a more evolved being). It's like if I were forced to have children, contributing to the existence of the humanity...

Actually, the **** Sapiens is not evolving. Our technology allow to us not being limited to the better/worse genes we have, the expectatives of life and possibility of having descendence is similar to most humans. There is no more "the stronger have more children...". For evolving, we have only to possible ways: eugenics and/or genetic manipulation. And except supressing some severe genetic diseases, I think it could be better not doing it. Take the example of the film "Gattaca".

When I speak about clones, I also mentioned "clonig minds". It's in some way a form of "inmortality". And as I like me, why not more of me? It would be nice :laughing:

The idea of making an A.I or better than this, cloning our minds in artificial brains, is more interesting for me than the idea of "long term evolution". After all, organic beings will be always organic beings... reproduction of consciences, instead reproduction of bodies.
The cause and effect process is the reason I was referring to.

Actually humans are currently evolving, or rather devolving as the lower class stupider people who can't afford birth control have more children making us evolve to be stupider.

I put little value on human morals and the way we like to think. I prefer the reasoning of the universe. We have within our grasp the ability to design a simple breeding program that will allow for the good genes to be passed on and the bad ones to be left behind like in natural selection and you say it's not a good idea? A breeding program and making artificial immortality are not mutally exclusive. You can design both.

·
Banned
349 Posts
The cause and effect process is the reason I was referring to.

Actually humans are currently evolving, or rather devolving as the lower class stupider people who can't afford birth control have more children making us evolve to be stupider.
So you think people in third world nations are less intelligent or, in general terms, have worse genes that people in first world. Could you prove that? At most, what is "reproducing without control" in such situation is not bad genes but bad ideas, bad education. A lower class human is nurtured by a worse education and influence, which he probably will apply to descendants, but is an issue about ideas, not genes.

I put little value on human morals and the way we like to think. I prefer the reasoning of the universe. We have within our grasp the ability to design a simple breeding program that will allow for the good genes to be passed on and the bad ones to be left behind like in natural selection and you say it's not a good idea? A breeding program and making artificial immortality are not mutally exclusive. You can design both.
What maybe you didn't notice is that this is not simply a moral issue. The question is, what you value as good (an eugenic resulting future) is only your personal opinion, of course respectable. The is no such a property outside your mind, or another. The concepts of good/bad, right/wrong, etc, do no exist in Nature. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but you seem to deffend your position as "Universal" which is impossible, as what you perceive as "good" would be good by itself. I disagree at this point. Valorations are always subjective.

My personal opinion is that an eugenic resulting future has an high probability of becoming a dystopian future. I would like supressing some genetics diseases, but in fact I don't care if humans will evolve in future to a "superior beings" if I cannot myself become one of them. I don't say it is not a good idea (if we can avoid the dystopian possibility), only that I don't care. This is like if a neighbor win lottery. Good for him (or her), but no more. And anyway, I see genetic evolution as only one of multiple possibilites and not the better (form my subjective point of view).

For me what matters is "the existence of information and the capacity of it for growing and becoming more complex", ie, an autoconscious intelligence, not its organic substrate. An inorganic one could be a better option, or also a well designed organic one, but this would not be eugenics in the meaning you're thinking, this would be a design completely directed to this purpose, as artificial as a computer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't mind the idea of the island, it could contain forests, mountains, and snow covered peaks. The island on Lost would be ideal. A state-of-the art condo would be needed I would think. I like the idea of everything underground. We could hand out IQ or temperament tests to visitors and deny access to people who failed. The mysteries of the Lost island could provide a lifetime of theory. I would like a nice IMAX 3D theater and a preforming arts center, museum, and an anything goes nightclub for when I felt radical.

I personally would also like a very relaxing and contemporary lounge with lots of plants and water landscaping. This should have the nicest liquor selection in the world and would be hemp friendly. I could run this lounge:)

The legal system should be like the one on Krypton used on Zod at the beginning of Superman the Movie . The oldest and wisest INTP's would sit high in the shadows and evaluate the accused. The accused would be standing in a spotlight allowed to speak his logic behind the actions on his own behalf.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts