Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The older I get, the more I find myself relying on F.
I see this evolution as a result of becoming a parent and becoming a teammanager. In both roles I have to take care of others. But even apart from this, developing F-qualities seems to come with age (I am nearly 40 now). All in all, I see this as a positive evolution since it does not mean I lose my analytical skills, it seems to make me "a richer person" (and yes, I know how NF that sounds...)

Anyone who experiences the same, or exactly the opposite?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
You have a leak of feelz. You need to find it and plug it quickly or you can and will bawl out with random, confused, and unknowing actions and reactions once the dam that suppresses your feelz breaks.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I see this evolution as a result of becoming a parent and becoming a teammanager. In both roles I have to take care of others. But even apart from this, developing F-qualities seems to come with age (I am nearly 40 now). All in all, I see this as a positive evolution since it does not mean I lose my analytical skills, it seems to make me "a richer person" (and yes, I know how NF that sounds...)

Yeah. It's part of maturing. You're growing up :). I can't give you any sources, but if you read enough profiles and mbti theory articles, you'll eventually come across one that talks about the difference in Fe between an immature INTP and a mature one. As you get older, you learn to healthily manage and utilize all your functions. While your Fe will always be inferior to you Ti, it is possible to utilize it in a healthy way.
It is like when you played pokemon as a kid. Eventually the other 5 in your party would get strong enough to battle the Elite Four, but the initial pokemon was still stronger by like 30 levels. (now if I play a pokemon game I level them evenly. Sometimes I even replace the starter pokemon as soon as it evolves).

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
Logic would deduce that a healthy mix of both is optimal.

Ive actually made strides in being more vulnerable, turns out my life loves it, I never knew.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
ENTP here and I can relate. The older I get, the more I (notice that I) feel. It's weird.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is an interesting thread, which 'F qualities' have you developed most and which experiences do you think led you to developing these qualities?
Most importantly, I developed a sense of empathy. I find it much easier to relate to others and thus find it easier to understand them. In return this made it easier to relate to them and gain trust. Not as some sort of ambition, more as a result. I have to say that this makes my life (esp. my professional life) much easier. It also makes it far easier to predict reactions, anticipate these reactions and meet far less resistance.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
intps’ personality type development can be broadly conceived as consisting of three phases:
phase i (childhood-20s)
this phase is characterized by the emergence and differentiation of intps’ dominant function, introverted thinking (ti). Early in life, intps often employ their ti to focus on one or two pursuits. They may, for instance, use it to master video games, program computers, get good grades, or perfect their 5 k time. Since ti is a judging function, intps tend to take themselves and their lives quite seriously. Even from a relatively young age, they are self-disciplined and goal-oriented, striving for excellence in whatever captures their interests.while often described as pure skeptics, this is not characteristic of many phase i intps. While intps are naturally logical thinkers, they, like istps, are not born skeptics. Intps start with a given (t), and if clearly not unreasonable, will assume it true unless their ne or si suggest otherwise (functions which in this phase are not well developed). Intjs, by contrast, whose first function is intuition (ni), do not start with a given, but approach things more openly, through the eyes of perception. They use their intuition to discern whether or not something seems viable. Consequently, intjs are often ahead of intps, as well as most other types, when it comes to formulating their own personalized worldview.
phase ii (late teens-30s)
once their dominant ti reaches a certain level of consciousness and differentiation, intps’ inferior function, extraverted feeling (fe), enters the picture and begins to play a more influential role. Intps are not immune from the dominant-inferior wrestlings described in our introduction, making this phase as challenging for them as it is for other types.phase ii intps also show increasing use and development of their auxiliary function, extraverted intuition (this can also begin in phase i for some intps). During this phase, intps often develop a stronger interest in intellectual and philosophical endeavors, poised to see and understand “the big picture.” they also become more skeptical toward certain ti conclusions they made in phase i. Developing their ne involves an opening of prior judgments to allow an influx of new information. But since ne is extraverted and expansive, intps must explore a breadth of ideas before they feel confident about who they are and what they believe. Thus, phase ii intps may find it much easier to identify what they don’t believe than what they do believe. Many will struggle with nihilism and relativism, worried that they may never find absolute truth. It can therefore take intps a great deal of time, even well into their thirties, to discern what they believe about the world and about themselves, let alone figure out what they should be doing. Unfortunately, societal pressures and expectations often push phase ii intps (as well as other types) into relationships or careers well before they are ready.phase ii intps may also begin to tap into their tertiary function, introverted sensing (si). They use their si to recall past experiences and acquired wisdom. This prevents them from having to retread paths they have already explored in the past.
phase iii (30s, 40s, & beyond)
if all goes well and they are fortunate enough to enter phase iii, intps become increasingly aware of the insidious ways of their inferior fe. As they become more aware of their inferior and learn to function more authentically as intps, they experience greater balance between their ti and fe. They learn that integrating their fe happens naturally and indirectly as they go about authentically using their ti, ne, and si. As they cultivate conditions that support their natural strengths, phase iii intps come to experience a heightened sense of peace, wholeness, and satisfaction.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts

I'm in my 40's and think I've become some kind of "hybrid" in that regard. And I do attribute it to (1) being a mom, (2) being married for so long, (3) my time in organized religion (which taught me at least some communal values), and (4) being in the workforce, where compromise and teamwork is important.

Also, like @thedoctorlies said, it's a mixed bag; you can't learn the good stuff without also dealing with the bad. I feel like I looked very patient, even-keel, always considerate, non-irritable for all those years; but really, it was because I had detached from my values and emotions; and now that I am more "integrated," the rub is that I also express negative emotions more easily. I can catch myself getting catty on occasion, or reacting irritably to annoying people, or noticing the emotional and relational context of something and getting a little stoked about it. You can't take one without taking the other.

I've always been interested in people (groups and individuals) as systems or as part of a system of cause/effect, but I do find it much easier to relate to people on a human level today and share empathies with them. When someone is wronged, I feel it because I understand why they might feel that way; when someone is happy, I can feel happy with them because I share that too.

I would say I didn't really "grasp" my own values until sometime in the 30's. I was fighting off a lot of years of dysfunctional family behavior + the domination of organized religion in my life, which perhaps intellectually I didn't directly embrace but a lot of those assumptions and framing was still there, along with guilt for non-conformity. Once I diminished the noise of all those other voices, and stopped "logicking" my way through everything, I could finally hear my own voice in there.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Most importantly, I developed a sense of empathy. I find it much easier to relate to others and thus find it easier to understand them. In return this made it easier to relate to them and gain trust. Not as some sort of ambition, more as a result. I have to say that this makes my life (esp. my professional life) much easier. It also makes it far easier to predict reactions, anticipate these reactions and meet far less resistance.
Do you have any tips to help develop a sense of empathy? I'm seriously lacking

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'd guess that whoever wrote/set up the site/contributed it was an INTP.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I've developed quite a bit of Fe too. I don't remember when, but I realized that I could stop pushing away Fe and instead learn and grow from it. It's made a tremendous difference in the quality of my life. I feel bad for the younger me who was tormented by Fe by trying to flee from it.

Reactions: Jennywocky

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've developed quite a bit of Fe too. I don't remember when, but I realized that I could stop pushing away Fe and instead learn and grow from it. It's made a tremendous difference in the quality of my life. I feel bad for the younger me who was tormented by Fe by trying to flee from it.
Typical people's relationship with their inferior function.
Now if I could only learn the secret.. my Se is already starting to bug me.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Typical people's relationship with their inferior function.
Now if I could only learn the secret.. my Se is already starting to bug me.
That's really cool that you notice it. Noticing it is 90% of the struggle. Keep at it, analyze it, allow it to mingle with your psyche and just give it time.

Reactions: Mbaruh
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.