Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I was just curious on how differences in the Enneagram Types affect INTP behavior, attitude, etc especially between Type 5 and Type 9 (But other type differences within INTP as well).

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
Enneagram is about your motives. What drives you to do the things you do. MBTI has more to do with how you parse information and deal with the world around you. If you're not sure which you are, I'd suggest reading this post. I don't feel like reposting and it would appear to be slightly off topic if i did.

A type 9 INTP is someone who has E9 motives (values, fears, etc) filtered through INTP thought patterns and interaction styles. It's as simple as that. Wash, rinse, and repeat for type 5. Are you looking for anecdotal responses?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...I guess so. Examples would be great I think.

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
Lead by example, I say. How does being a 9 interact with INTPness in your case?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think as a type 9, I sort of develop some kind of self-censorship system within my brain to weed out anything from my initial thought language to prevent anything that would be perceived as caustic, argumentative, and pretty much anything else I think will disrupt my sense of peace. I think it is like if I think of anything and feel that it will cause any uncomfortable "pricks" in the social atmosphere around, I change it within my mind until it becomes something that I think will not cause social discomfort.

If I do say something that I think is hurtful or hateful to another person and is too late to change the event, I tend to think if it would be best to apologize or not, but if I do apologize, the moment becomes rather uncomfortable for me.

Hmmm....I'm not so sure if this is absolutely the whole thing that is going through my mind as type 9 interacts with my INTP self (it probably isn't) but I guess this is a start?

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
You've mostly focused on the enneagram aspects rather than the MBTI, which I think only answers half of your original question.

The hard part though, based on my last 20 minutes or so of lurking various parts of the forum, is going to be finding undeniably type 5 INTPs who haven't already left this place for greener pastures. Each and every time I found someone that screamed E5 as I skimmed the various sections where they are wont to take part, they turned out to be INTJ.* The INTP 5s I used to know here have apparently left or been forced to leave so. . . best of luck.:wink:

*runs off*

*Which actually explains one hell of a lot to me about the local INTP section.

-edit-

Perhaps Azrael could offer some insight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can't answer your question because I know next to nothing about Enneagram types, but I just wanted to drop in to say that I tested as 5w4 and 9w1. I'm still trying to figure out what that means.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You've mostly focused on the enneagram aspects rather than the MBTI, which I think only answers half of your original question.

The hard part though, based on my last 20 minutes or so of lurking various parts of the forum, is going to be finding undeniably type 5 INTPs who haven't already left this place for greener pastures. Each and every time I found someone that screamed E5 as I skimmed the various sections where they are wont to take part, they turned out to be INTJ.* The INTP 5s I used to know here have apparently left or been forced to leave so. . . best of luck.:wink:

*runs off*

*Which actually explains one hell of a lot to me about the local INTP section.

-edit-

Perhaps Azrael could offer some insight.
hmmm.... i'm curious to know what the local INTP section used to look like. was it very different?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Enneagram is about your motives. What drives you to do the things you do. MBTI has more to do with how you parse information and deal with the world around you. If you're not sure which you are, I'd suggest reading this post. I don't feel like reposting and it would appear to be slightly off topic if i did.
I went through that post, and I still can't decide 5 v 9! I have traits of both, but right when I start thinking 9 is probably correct, some of the 9 traits don't apply either!

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
hmmm.... i'm curious to know what the local INTP section used to look like. was it very different?
unleashthehounds would have liked it better.

I went through that post, and I still can't decide 5 v 9! I have traits of both, but right when I start thinking 9 is probably correct, some of the 9 traits don't apply either!
This isn't really the place, but if you send me a pm, I'll see what I can do to help you sort it out properly.

·
Registered
509 Posts
unleashthehounds would have liked it better.
unleash, what does he mean???!?!! dammit, now you've got me all squirmy and fidgety because i want to know...

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't know, I thought that was rather cryptic too :)
i think i get it now, actually. :happy:

btw, i've typed as 5, too, and never questioned the assumption... now that i've read yojimbo's other post, i see a lot of myself in the 9 characteristics... so now i wonder: what are the negative 9 issues?

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
unleash, what does he mean???!?!! dammit, now you've got me all squirmy and fidgety because i want to know...
It first occurred to me when I saw this and then took note of his campaign to create and encourage more substantial and thought provoking threads around here. You know, as opposed to something about spices.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It first occurred to me when I saw this and then took note of his campaign to create and encourage more substantial and thought provoking threads around here. You know, as opposed to something about spices.
*splutters* HEY! i was just being accommodating. :dry: *indignant*

Reactions: Trope

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
what are the negative 9 issues?
This took me longer to find than I expected. Hopefully it'll help.

Healthy Levels

Level 1 (At Their Best): Become self-possessed, feeling autonomous and fulfilled: have great equanimity and contentment because they are present to themselves. Paradoxically, at one with self, and thus able to form more profound relationships. Intensely alive, fully connected to self and others.

Level 2: Deeply receptive, accepting, unselfconscious, emotionally stable and serene. Trusting of self and others, at ease with self and life, innocent and simple. Patient, unpretentious, good-natured, genuinely nice people.

Level 3: Optimistic, reassuring, supportive: have a healing and calming influence—harmonizing groups, bringing people together: a good mediator, synthesizer, and communicator.

Average Levels

Level 4: Fear conflicts, so become self-effacing and accommodating, idealizing others and "going along" with their wishes, saying "yes" to things they do not really want to do. Fall into conventional roles and expectations. Use philosophies and stock sayings to deflect others.

Level 5: Active, but disengaged, unreflective, and inattentive. Do not want to be affected, so become unresponsive and complacent, walking away from problems, and "sweeping them under the rug." Thinking becomes hazy and ruminative, mostly comforting fantasies, as they begin to "tune out" reality, becoming oblivious. Emotionally indolent, unwillingness to exert self or to focus on problems: indifference.

Level 6: Begin to minimize problems, to appease others and to have "peace at any price." Stubborn, fatalistic, and resigned, as if nothing could be done to change anything. Into wishful thinking, and magical solutions. Others frustrated and angry by their procrastination and unresponsiveness.

Unhealthy Levels

Level 7: Can be highly repressed, undeveloped, and ineffectual. Feel incapable of facing problems: become obstinate, dissociating self from all conflicts. Neglectful and dangerous to others.

Level 8: Wanting to block out of awareness anything that could affect, them, they dissociate so much that they eventually cannot function: numb, depersonalized.

Level 9: They finally become severely disoriented and catatonic, abandoning themselves, turning into shattered shells. Multiple personalities possible. Generally corresponds to the Schizoid and Dependent personality disorders.

(Source)
*splutters* HEY! i was just being accommodating. :dry: *indignant*
Don't worry, I still like you better than most people.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This took me longer to find than I expected. Hopefully it'll help.
it's odd, the bad stuff applies to me way more than the good... starting from levels 4/5 through 9--the lower down the list i go, the more the descriptions fit...

Don't worry, I still like you better than most people.
well, thanks for deigning to do so, your highness. :tongue:

·
Registered
509 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts