Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the recent discussions of clothing and looks, it got me thinking about color-theory.

Most INTP's are comfortable with wearing dark colors; most popular would be black, gray, crimson red, or solid purple and blue.

My question goes to, for most INTP's who 'choose' their own clothes to purchase and wear, do any of you go for the bright / faded colors like canary, palm beach coral, marine, etc... as opposed to their solid or more darker shades of Yellow, Orange, Blue/Green.

In addition, I find that although certain people, non-INTP, may wear bright colors; e.g. guys wear pastel blue, pink, yellow, aquamarine shirts... and women wear neon yellow, pink, yellow, aquamarine dresses / skirts...

Often, this will bring out their 'emotional' state along with the colors they're wearing for the day. Seldom, but it does happen, do those people wearing such colors become angry... and it's funny to watch people in 'happy / cheerful' colors become upset because it doesn't go along with their appearance at all.

Now for INTP's, being most of the time we're in a walking ball of gloom mode or a sarcastic tone, our behavior and our 'aura' precedes and multiplies to the colors we wear. Black by default will amplify the void, depression, darkness especially if we're in a foul mood; doesn't even have to be 'cheerful or happy'...

We can be wearing a blue shirt and/or blue jeans, but if there's a black belt, black necklace, or spiked wriststraps, those colors and accessories supercedes the colors we're wearing and the 'black' aura would be dominant.

What this usually gives people as a first impression is usually NOT what they expect IF the person is just donning a 'dark' mask that day.

Hopefully this makes sense. Any feedback or thoughts to add on top of this? Thank you.

EDIT: should've included a URL for color-theory for reference... here is one on symbolism:

http://www.colormatters.com/color-symbolism/the-meanings-of-colors

·
Registered
129 Posts
Interesting topic... I've been wearing black/blue/gray shirts and dark blue jeans (think hank moody in californication) for as long as I can remember. Wearing brighter colors feels wrong at some level, doesn't mesh with my natural mood/demeanor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
(Ignore the Avatar XD)

I mostly do wear darker colors, but they're mostly black t-shirts that may have a more colorful design on top of it.

But I never wear bright solid colors, neverrrr

If I ever wear bright colors, I don't feel like myself.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hmm, well I wear dark jeans, and a brightly coloured hoodie.
I want to get a bunch of brightly coloured t-shirts, but currently the one I'm wearing is black with a white design on it.
My clothing never reflects my mood, ever.
...I'm not sure if that answering the question (if there was any), but there you go.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Most of my clothing comes from other people, so the colors aren't really so much my choice. I do various levels of coverage and looseness based off my menstrual cycle (I think) and the weather.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
My clothes are usually black, white, grey, dark grey, light grey, charcoal...

I know, an amazing degree of variation.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I generally wear darker colors, but not really a lot of color at all. Black shoes, dark jeans, and most of my t-shirts are either black, grey, or white. In fact, I feel a little awkward wearing any sort of color. It isn't just a reluctance to stand out however. I really feel I look far sexier in nice, slightly tight grey t-shirts. I guess I figure my best attempt at looking appealing is going for a "dark, brooding soul" sort of vibe. Of course I fail at that and just end up looking like a nerd, but I have to go for SOME sort of romance-novel stereotype don't I?

·
Banned
395 Posts
I have a lot of dark clothing, but generally I wear either black or white. I have a few yellow shirts that I like to wear and even an orange and green striped shirt that always gets compliments. Most of my black shirts have an image on the front though, usually warm-colored images. No matter what colors I wear, I always have a jacket of some kind, though. I have grey, white and dark blue jackets. The outerwear is obviously much more visible.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I generally try not to stick out so I usually wear extremely generic and plain colors, like grey, actually only grey.

I also have a lot olive colored, jackets, because I associated that color with vagabonds, something I idolize a lot, which is also something associate with for being very mellow.

So basically my wardrobe consist of a grey inner shirts and olive jackets.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I actually prefer wearing light-coloured clothing - especially white. It makes me feel cool, suave and crisp. If only I were a cleaner person...
Is this you?

Me? Dark in the winter brighter in the summer. Mostly white - men wearing baby blue, spring green, or pink tends to give out an aura of douchebagery (but I wear it sometimes, except pink, ugly color on men and women alike).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Is this you?

Me? Dark in the winter brighter in the summer. Mostly white - men wearing baby blue, spring green, or pink tends to give out an aura of douchebagery (but I wear it sometimes, except pink, ugly color on men and women alike).
You seem to give a lot of thought to colour...
I just wear whatever's clean and uncreased in my room, e.g. a yellow shirt and a green hoodie with rainbow socks. No fashion statement I'm trying to make - except, "Yeah, whatever...So anyway -"
But I've found that anything I wear, I will become 'used' to it and wear it many times pretty much in consecutive days (well, enough for people to notice).

·
Registered
766 Posts
You seem to give a lot of thought to colour...
I just wear whatever's clean
I used that picture because you said you like white but wish you were cleaner. It's similar to the picture that poped up in my head when a read it.

If I give a lot of thought to colour..."a lot" is subjective, but yeah, there a some colours I prefer to other colours. The reason I used shades in my last post is because there is a big difference between baby blue and dark blue, and spring green and military green.
I'd think it weird to care about how you look but not care about colours since it's a major part of any visual, and if I did not care I'd just go for physical comfort and it would be stained sweatpants all the way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts