Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tl;dr'rs, skip to the bottom to read and answer either the topic or the bottom three questions.

-------------------------------------------------

Information hoarders and viewers, please continue.

There are three scenarios I would like to explain from my perspective where I use 'I don't know':

Scenario #1 -

It just dawned on me that this happens to me a lot lately. People asking the most simplistic questions which I thought would have an even simpler answer but apparently, I was clueless and I didn't even know where or how to begin a probable answer to them.

- Why is the sky blue?
- What's the difference between a supercharger and turbocharger?
- How much more expensive can it get to supercharge a turbo or turbocharge a super?
- Does an i3 use the same socket type as an i5/i7?

I use to know quite a lot of useless specs and facts about lots of things, but with the enhancement of technologies, I haven't been keeping up with the 'extra features' and capabilities of the 'new age' stuffs; such that, old age limitations and bottlenecks may or may not exist any longer in the new age stuff.

So in this example, by saying 'I don't know' to the person who is asking the question, they may take offense to it such that I'm not giving them the time to educate them. They assume I know the information but just don't want to give it up.

Scenario #2 -

It's not that I want to 'bullshit' my way through the topic. But it hit me. Rudimentary questions where I have no immediate feedback for. And I admit that I just don't know.

- "This piece doesn't fit, Q. Can you take a look?" - Instead of saying 'You're doing it wrong! It's suppose to go here... and voila!', and if it's the case that truly don't know, I would say I don't know.

In this scenario, I can bullshit basically anything and make it seem like that's the answer... but if i'm stumped on a puzzle... i'd just be making a fool out of myself.

Scenario #3 -

I'm arguing a point in a meeting that if we do not do "A, B, and C" potential things may break and go wrong with "D, E, and F". My boss would argue that there is nothing wrong with the system and disregards the theory.

In this scenario, instead of saying 'I don't know', time passes and shit hits the fan because theory got rejected. I don't know if this is a 'pride' thing, but to be able to admit when one truly doesn't know to say 'I don't know' rather than 'go with the flow' based on blind pride and hope for the best.... this just irks me. Such a consequence ruins EVERYTHING for everyone.

So I'm going to split this topic into three questions; answer however you decide to approach this:

- Do you 'feel' hurt to acknowledge that you don't know things out of pride?
- Do you 'feel' lost having to acknowledge that there are areas of things you should know, never got around to it, but feel empty not having an answer?
- Do you 'feel' the need to bullshit your way through a topic / question just so you can interject a point like J's; specifically like an NJ?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Do you 'feel' hurt to acknowledge that you don't know things out of pride?
No, I'm pretty honest, and if I don't know something, I'm willing to admit it even if I still give it a good guess and acknowledge that.

Do you 'feel' lost having to acknowledge that there are areas of things you should know, never got around to it, but feel empty not having an answer?
Yes, to that one. If I feel like I should have known the answer, I'm pretty embarassed. This happens in work a lot, where I expected myself to have a fast learning curve but it's just taking FOREVER to learn this complex piece of software and how it works and all the pieces are connected. I'm actually harder on myself than others; my team lead keeps telling me to stop judging myself so harshly, but I feel really stupid when something is in my area of responsibility and I haven't yet figured it all out or there are just things I haven't had to learn yet and then get blindsided by.

Do you 'feel' the need to bullshit your way through a topic / question just so you can interject a point like J's; specifically like an NJ?

The only related thing I can think of are topics that I've read about extensively but awhile back, so I did reach a conclusion on the data that I believe hasn't had a need to change, but I know someone won't consider me legitimate if I can't "talk the talk" in order to push my conclusion, so I'll do quick skims on topics from sources I consider reliable and summate them fast, tossing out key facts, just so I can then reach the conclusion I want to push. (I've done this with evolution/creation discussions before, for example; I just don't keep details well in my head, I remember more the basic framework and conclusions I've drawn, but I know sometimes you have to fire actual rounds of bullets to support my points...)

Put another way, if I know someone is wrong based on my overall sense of their argument but all I remember are my conclusions, I'll grab enough detail from wherever I can find it to make an argument just so I can challenge their point legitimately; in the process, I can sometimes sound a lot more knowledgeable about the topic that I actually am. But this isn't really pride or anything, it's that I'm backtracking to support a conclusion I already vetted in the past.

Reactions: qingdom

·
Registered
525 Posts
More like inept, like I let myself down. Hurt could be an acceptable interpretation also.

- Do you 'feel' lost having to acknowledge that there are areas of things you should know, never got around to it, but feel empty not having an answer?
Same answer as the first. So basically, . . yes.

Happy now? :p

- Do you 'feel' the need to bullshit your way through a topic / question just so you can interject a point like J's; specifically like an NJ?
Sometimes.

Edit:

OK, Jenny shamed me into elaborating more as opposed be being my lazy-self. Dang you ! ! !

It really depends on if I have the time/possibility to look it up though. When I do, I tend to answer what I know, and what I suspect (Ne). But I make it clear I need to confirm it and will get back to them once I have confirmation.

When in a bit lazier mood I tell them what I suspect/deduct and where or how they could find out themselves (do a search on this or that word, visit site X or Y, . .).

Reactions: Richard and qingdom

·
Badly Named
6,320 Posts
Yes to all as well. I hate having to BS my way through a conversation, but sometimes that's just how it happens. Sometimes, I'll do more research later and come back with better points. This satisfies me a bit because I know I can figure it out if given the chance, but you're spot on.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts

circumstances vary... but usually no.

only if I'm having trouble finding the answer.... but of course by the time I do get around to it... there's usually no more need for it.
- Do you 'feel' the need to bullshit your way through a topic / question just so you can interject a point like J's; specifically like an NJ

I tend to bullshit in general. Even when I'm well aware of the topic at hand... so eh, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
So I'm going to split this topic into three questions; answer however you decide to approach this:

(I noticed that you use the word "feel" a lot, you're getting at something else besides information-hoarding INTPs, aren't you?)

1. Sometimes. I've been trying to ignore it more often these days. I think it's working.
2. I don't feel lost, but I call myself stupid for not getting around to it
3. No, not really. I'm usually just listening on to a conversation, trying to find out what it's about. Even if I find out what it's about, I usually don't interject.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(I noticed that you use the word "feel" a lot, you're getting at something else besides information-hoarding INTPs, aren't you?)
I couldn't think of a better word to describe what I wanted to ask / convey. 'Feel' just 'felt' right. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I couldn't think of a better word to describe what I wanted to ask / convey. 'Feel' just 'felt' right. Suggestions?
Do you prefer not to acknowledge that you don't know something out of pride?
Are you inclined not to acknowledge that you don't know something out of pride?
Do you 'feel' lost having to acknowledge that there are areas of things you should know, never got around to it, but feel empty not having an answer?
Does having to acknowledge that there are areas of things that you should know but never got around to it cause a sense of emptiness?
Do you 'feel' the need to bullshit your way through a topic / question just so you can interject a point like J's; specifically like an NJ?
Are you inclined to BS your way around a topic/question so that you can interject a point like J's; specifically like an NJ?
(I didn't use a thesaurus! Yay! X3 )
There's probably a lot more ways to rewrite these questions in a such a way that it makes sense while omitting the word "feel."

Also, does that last question mean to say that those of us who do the last one are more like a J? Or that we have J-ish tendencies?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
1. Do you 'feel' hurt to acknowledge that you don't know things out of pride?

I wouldn't say I feel hurt. Sometimes I'll fish for an answer and ask the person to let me think about the question for a second. I'll usually then give me best educated guess then say "but I really have no fucking idea. So you might want to check up on that yourself."

2. Do you 'feel' lost having to acknowledge that there are areas of things you should know, never got around to it, but feel empty not having an answer?

Embarrassed sure. A little pissed off if someone calls me out on it. If that happens, I'll probably go into defensive pretentious mode.

3. Do you 'feel' the need to bullshit your way through a topic / question just so you can interject a point like J's; specifically like an NJ?

Yeah, I don't bullshit bullshitters or people that can see through bullshit. I tend to not like bullshitting, but I suppose when you get down to it, everything I say can be considered bullshit. Yeah, actually, when I come to think about it, I probably do bullshit a lot. Maybe I've been bullshitting so long that the line between bullshit and a legitimate point has blurred. Though if you ask me, everyone is trying to get away with their own brand of bullshit.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, does that last question mean to say that those of us who do the last one are more like a J? Or that we have J-ish tendencies?

more like have J-ish tenancies ... e.g. such as to defend / prove / act on a point due to wanting to do the right thing vs. subjugating for the sake of convenience and laziness.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I say "Forget it, my head was somewhere else," as an out. It doesn't bother me too much. I know what I don't know most of the time.
It will be pretty obvious otherwise to the other person. Unless I'm wearing my smart looking glasses.

I am completely and utterly clueless about politics. That is one area I try to steer clear from since it is embarrassing how little I know about them and current events in general unless they are put in front of my face. I don't care about not having a leaning one way or another so much since I can see both sides to virtually everything. I just don't like feeling uneducated about any topic.

Yes. Just today I could see how a training session was going to be structured and I thought it would be a waste of time if we did it a certain way. I made a suggestion after the trainer started to get tired and it ended up working out well for everyone. I could tell she wasn't going to want to veer off schedule until she saw how much extra work she was doing for no reason.
In general I have a good sense of timing of when to interject to save time and effort if I notice something.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Dude! I haven't seen you for the longest time.. how the hell you been? Missed seeing your avatar in posts.
Aw missing mummy?
I didn't know anyone missed me. I was finishing up my last semester of undergrad and applying for grad school, so I tried to keep myself off the time vampire that is this forum. But now I'm in and I have too much time on my hands.

Reactions: nadjasix
1 - 15 of 15 Posts