Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people would shed a tear once in their lives.

How far does your threshold for crying come and go? when does it usually occur? what goes on or what's happening to cause it in the first place?

How do you cope or deal with it?

If in public or in the presence of someone else, do you feel embarrassment? If embarrassed, do you admit to it?

·
Registered
369 Posts
To be completely honest, I hardly cry except in self-pity (which I'm less than proud of). The only thing that can drag me down to a bawling mess is a feeling of total self-inadequacy, generally combined with hopelessness, loneliness, and stress. It used to happen to me quite a lot, in the hellhole of work and social problems that was middle school. Thankfully it's now less frequent.

I sometimes get teary watching movies or listening to music or sometimes reading, but I never actually shed tears. I'm not sure if I cry when in serious pain, I suppose if I did then I was in too much pain to know or care about it, and as none of my injuries have been in physical confrontation, nobody present would've cared to give me shit about it.

External sad things, i.e. pet dying make me very sad, as is the case with most people, but I don't cry much. In fact if I ever do cry at such things it's still selfish, in that I'm made more sad by the idea that I somehow wronged the other person/thing and therefore I am, once again, a failure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I start feeling this weird feeling in my gut that eventually wants to turn into a little bit of crying when watching sad moments in some movies. If I'm alone I'll let it continue and eventually a tear or two will come out but that's about it. If someone is around me I'll just make a joke about how stupid something in the movie is so that the feeling goes away. It's normal for me to be talking during movies because I just keep thinking of all this totally random but funny dialog that would go great with the movie, so no one suspects anything.

As far as physical pain, I will swear like crazy and my eyes may get watery but that's about it. Although I've never been tortured, but I'm pretty good at detaching from pain. Like sometimes I'll get a leg cramp while sleeping, hurts like crazy, and then when it's going away another one comes, hurts even more, and then another one, that one just feels like my leg is going to break into pieces. At this point I decide to forget about the pain, so I lay there on bed not giving any thought to the pain and keeping my brain thinking. . . usually it's thinking strongly about not paying attention to the pain coming from the leg.

The only time I recall sobbing in the last 20 years that I have not been a kid (33 now) is when mom died last year. And even then the sobbing only happens when I'm on my own and I start remembering her. I must admit I do feel rather well after crying for a while. I guess every day a little gets piled up and eventually it all needs to come out. And then I can start piling up again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It used to happen to me quite a lot, in the hellhole of work
Ah I forgot about this, there was a time in my life when I had to work a factory job that I hated with a passion. But Dad had left us and my sister and I had to work full time to pay for rent and stuff since Dad wasn't sending us any money and mom couldn't work. Anyway, that feeling of hating this job so much but knowing that leaving it was not an option, that made me cry a couple of times in the morning.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Depression is the trigger for me. It usually starts off with an event that stirs my emotions, people usually. When I go am alone I reflect and I go into "thought attack" mode. It begins when examine uncomfortable or unknown emotions. Then I start to tell myself that I am worthless and unlovable because I find it extremely difficult to find the social and life balance normally associated with a healthy person. Then all my repressed emotions and feelings begin to emerge and I can't catch them all, its just a flood of pure emotions. That triggers crying, which usually happens when I am alone. I cried in public once in 4th grade during class because someone took my juice can at lunch time. I don't feel embarrassed when I cry. I tell myself I need to cry in order to stabilize my emotions. I compare crying to puking. Yes it feels like shit for a bit but once that uncomfortable urge is gone, everything feels so good. It's the body's natural way of cleansing negative emotions.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I cry quite easily watching movies and sometimes touching events but what's strange the same thing may not make a more feeling person cry and something more tragic may not move me at all. I also may tear up merely thinking about something real or not but not necessarily anything sad, just something that I enjoy or that means something to me. I know this makes no sense but I don't how to put it in words. The only time I break down and sob is life changing events such as the dead of my parents or the ending of my first long term love/relationship. I cried quite a bit in the last few days leading up to my marriage because it was a closing of my life up to that point and that was a very emotional experience for me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm not sure if I am still capable of the act. Last time I shed a single tear was maybe 10 years ago, and I couldn't figure out exactly why it happened then. I do remember bawling 20+ years ago when my grandmother passed away.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I am unsure about severe pain, but I know that I do not cry to any movie. I suppose I may if given big enough emotional trauma, though I have not personally seen/felt it to know for sure.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The only time I ever cry is when all of my suppressed negative emotions finally break free and overwhelm me. This can be a combination of loneliness, worthlessness, despair, confusion, etc. But when I do cry, it isn't to an extreme; I can only reach the point of letting a couple of tears go for a minute or so then that's it. I've even tried to force myself to continue crying to just "let it all out" but I just can't do it *this only happens when I'm alone though*.

I rarely have any emotional outbursts in public. The last time I cried in front of my family was last year, and that was when I was in excruciating pain and had to get my appendix removed. But even with that feeling of pain, I still didn't display any emotional distress. The pain level was at the extreme and I just told my mom that I was fine, but she didn't buy it when she saw that I finally broke down into tears, that's when she knew it was serious. If I do feel my eyes tearing up and my throat getting that odd feeling while I'm with others, I try my best to hide it. It does embarrass me to cry, so I just breathe deeply for a while until the feeling subsides.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Oh gosh... I hate crying.
I used to cry a lot when I was younger and my parents would usually yell at me or people would just get really quiet and awkward and sutff.... but now, if I do cry, it's in my room or some room where I'm alone, in the dark if I can help it, and it's always silent.
If I cry in public now, I wipe my tears away before anyone notices and just pretend I have allergies or something....

And it's not like I cry for just anything ... I'm not that little kid anymore (yay, jaded adulthood).
It's usually for really overwhelming stuff or really strong emotions I can't wrap my mind around and that ambush me...
Basically, when I lock myself in the bathroom or something and start crying, I'm thinking to myself 'is this a nervous breakdown or just a bad day'? Because sometimes I just don't know.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I never cry to movies, and as far as I can remember, I've never cried at a funeral. As for severe pain, I think I cried when the doctors drained a shitload of my blood when I was 6. Aside from that, I shed tears if someone nearby is cutting onions.

I do cry if I'm extremely depressed or emotionally hurt though, but that hasn't happened in a very long while.

I don't remember the last time I cried.

·
Registered
369 Posts
For what it's worth, as a small addendum, when I get teary from media, it's just as frequently from things that are 'powerful' as from things that are actually 'sad' (and both of these far more than from things that are happy). The only time I can think of crying in joy for another person (real or fictitious) was at the very end of A Clockwork Orange (the book that is). I suppose that's a little odd.. but just the fact that he was a real person again and not planning on raping anybody... made me so indescribably happy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The last time I cried was around 5 years ago... in 7th or 8th grade, after I had badly hurt my friends after they had been trying to insult, prod and poke me for the whole day... I had grabbed one by the throat and had him slammed against a cupboard when I realized that I really shouldn't be doing it... and then I cried for like 10-15 mins cause I was disappointed at not being able to control myself.

And No, I don't cry often... only remember crying twice in last 10 years... can't remember much before that...

The other time that I cried was when I was 10 or so... had my first episode of Existentialism when trying to sleep... :/

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm kind of a crier but only in private. A couple days ago I was driving around on my lunch break and the mix of melancholy song + beauty of nature + thinking of a special person = waterworks. Not sobbing but those two or three tears while you smile.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts