Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a morbid topic... but I use to read the obituary section in the city paper.

To be able to read up on people I never knew and read how other people described them; be the author family, friend, acquaintance, colleague, teammate, or whichever.

There were some that were deep bonds and there were others that condemned the dead soul eternal grief beyond the grave.

Those to be condemned in writing got me to think what thing(s) they could have horribly done in life such that they left this big ball of unresolved anger on someone to write about them negatively in a city paper. Although, it could be a prank, but what if?

In any case, what's your views on obituaries?

How would you go about writing an obituary for someone?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
They do negative obituaries in newspapers? :shocked:

I guess I must be the most ignorant person out there...I never really read them that much, but from what I'd seen they were just like classifieds people bought to mention a few fond words about the departed and tell people where the funeral would be.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Only if i knew the person well enough would i write one, And only if we had an understanding that it will be written to appear comical or outrageous in nature

Reactions: L

·
Registered
369 Posts
The idea of writing a heart-felt obituary scares me. It's like I'm putting out in writing what I believe the essence of the person to be, what made them special to me, and how that affected my life. I'd be afraid to shame the memory of the person I was writing about... what if I leave something out? What if I didn't really understand them after all? I don't think there's anybody in the world I can claim to truly understand. Plus there's just the fact that my knowledge and feelings of others are personal, and I'd feel uncomfortable sharing them to the world.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Only if i knew the person well enough would i write one, And only if we had an understanding that it will be written to appear comical or outrageous in nature
Agreed, only a celebration of everything amazing that is me shall happen at my funeral... if I have one *insert creepy background music*

Also, I doubt I'll have an actual funeral. I posted about this back in my earlier days and I still plan on going through with it: I want to be buried in a field without a casket, or like an open one or something, and then have a tree planted on top of me:cool:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
In high school I covered my books with obituaries from the newspapers (to protect them aye, they were rented). Couldn't be bothered to buy proper paper for it and it was required otherwise you'd get kicked out of the class. No wonder I was considered the weirdo.

Obituaries are pretty outdated though, atleast in newspapers. Is there already a website for that? Check who died etc. Because that was the original purpose yeah? To see if anyone in your town died?

Anyways I wouldn't want one, I'd rather people live in fear for me until they find out I'm dead. muahahah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts