Personality Cafe banner

You lost at _______, do you give up?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You failed the challenge! Whatever that may be. Could be anything. What do you do now?

If you do get back up, how many times before you retry before tossing in the towel and say 'fuck it!'?

EDIT: are the voter names public? there wasn't any end results detailed on what those checkboxes ... bah... whatever... i'll know next time what the choices and effects are.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
It depends on why I think I lost, what strategies I can imagine, and how possible it seems to me that I can eventually win.
Then again, sometimes it's just worth doing something for the experience, regardless of victory.

When i was young, though, I hated to lose, and I more easily threw in the towel after a loss. Nowadays I persevere a lot longer.

Reactions: qingdom

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Sometimes when I think/know I can't win, I don't even try.

If I know I can do better or if it is something where the positive results are directly proportional to the amount of effort you can put in, I won't give up for at least a few tries.

Somethings are just for fun and experience.

In the end, I absolutely hate losing (I mean, who loves losing anyway?) and I hate giving up on something which means a lot to me, too. But then there isn't always a solution to something.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It depends on how “critical" it is, sometimes you have no choice but to keep on hacking away.

But seeing as I generally don’t care much about the result, the release of surrender can be rather sweet.

I have succeeded on occasion, even on things requiring effort spanning great periods of time, and the success is always overwhelmingly anticlimactic. I’ve never stepped back, looked at something and thought “That was worth the effort"
If you aren’t benefitting, surrender is so much easier.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I typically surrender after constantly trying and failing. That shows me that there is a recurring pattern there, so I would expect the same result if I keep trying.

I do give up, but I don't forget about the struggle. I still end up thinking about it at times, and I try to extract any information or lesson that might be useful in some way.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It depends. Mostly I wouldn't give up easily. But there are many factors that play role in this decision, so I'm not going to describe every one of them and all of the interactive influence that is between them. What I can say, though, and which actually sums all that in the previous sentence up, is that I need to understand that it is important, for me, for someone else, that's all that matters. And I try to live so that as much as possible matters to me, but everything won't.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I usually try multiples times at whatever it is ... unless it's something in real life -- then I usually give up after the first time something blows up in my face =/
I'm learning to keep trying though... it's humiliating sometimes but...yea.

Reactions: Thu and qingdom

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,626 Posts
NevAr.

I accidentally deleted 3/4 of an assignment that took me 8 hours to do last night and only had 2 hours left to turn it.

70% of people would have shot themselves in the face.

I PREVAILED.

Reactions: Ember and qingdom

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,777 Posts
it depends on the game and the stakes...

more the stakes to feed the incentive of playing in the first place...

though I tend to be a better loser than winner... needing several consecutive wins before I can adequately gloat about it or raise the stakes for somebody else, give myself a couple penalties, give them a bit more hope and dramatically crush them there they stand.

Otherwise I'm pretty much a gracious loser... thanks for allowing my the opportunity to play, while I silently add them to my grudge list.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
If I feel I've done everything in my power and anyone I'm stuck being grouped with has as well, then I accept the loss. I get pissed about it, but that's because I like winning.

If I feel I tried my best, but the people I'm stuck with are busy being idiots, I start raging.

If I've done everything I can and still failed miserably, I switch tactics. I stop trying to win and go out of my way to making every inch of ground my opponent gets as hard fought as anything they've ever done.
"If you're going to beat me, you're going to freaking work for it!"

If my opponent is still so much better than me that nothing I do can stop them, then I switch to annoyance mode.
"Well, I hope you can enjoy the victory with one friggin' eye!"

Yeah, I'm a little competitive.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
It depends on how “critical" it is, sometimes you have no choice but to keep on hacking away.

But seeing as I generally don’t care much about the result, the release of surrender can be rather sweet.

I have succeeded on occasion, even on things requiring effort spanning great periods of time, and the success is always overwhelmingly anticlimactic. I’ve never stepped back, looked at something and thought “That was worth the effort"
If you aren’t benefitting, surrender is so much easier.
On difficult problems, I have more fun while doing it. If I am not enjoying doing it, I am not going to get much out of completing the problem.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
On difficult problems, I have more fun while doing it. If I am not enjoying doing it, I am not going to get much out of completing the problem.
I’m fine with contemplating anything so long as it’s on my own terms, and the results of my thought processes aren’t required by some 3rd party at such and such a time with such and such a level of quality.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
For any rational person, "It depends" is the only acceptable answer to such a vague question. Many variables, causes multiple potential 'best courses of action', The choice of which course is the best depends on those variables.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts